• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the Monotype Grotesque Black different from the rest of the font?

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the for the Monotype Grotesque Black different from the rest of the font? I’m curious to know and hope you’ll be able to help me. 
MT Black.png

PastedGraphic-2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look so different to me. "Black" is a font style that is ultra-heavy and bold, designed only for use in large sizes (posters, headlines etc.)  It isn't expected to be mixed with the regular font at the same size. The exact design choices were made 100 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. When you look at the ‘K’ and ‘I’, it seems to be from a different font altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Monotype Grotesque fonts were not designed to work as a family, originally. There were separate designs preapred in the early 20th century as metal type, usally identified by a number rather than a distinct name. Over the years — and especially once the fonts were digitized — the fonts were bundled together as a family, but not one where the memebrs are as clsoely related as they are in families that were designed as a set. It's more like a group of cousins than a family of sibliins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines