• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the text different in my pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have created a 4pp brochure in indesign and exported it as an adobe pdf.

The text in the pdf uses a font i synced from adobe typekit, When I view the pdf on my mac it looks great but when i opened the pdf on a different computer, the font doesn't look in uniform throughout the document.

Any ideas on what could be wrong here?

I need to be able to send out the pdf to potential clients via email. do i need to use a web safe font to make sure everyone will see the document as i see it?

Many thanks in advance

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

I have examined Mike's file off-forum and responded to him.

Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the PDF file and that the “information” provided to him by the Adobe “chat” person was at best confusing if not totally wrong. Fonts used by the document were properly embedded and used when displaying the PDF files with Adobe Acrobat or Reader. The fonts didn't otherwise need to be installed on the recipient system.

In all likelihood, the problems that were encountered by recipients of Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the font is actually embedded in the PDF file? What are you viewing the PDF file with on Windows (and for that matter, on MacOS)?

Within Acrobat, press Ctrl-D and click on the “fonts” tab. Make sure that all the fonts are embedded. If not, check what options you are using when you export PDF.

You may wish to post a screen shot of the anomalies you see. Also, make sure that the text antialiasing option is on for display in Reader/Acrobat.

No, you don't need a “web safe font” for PDF creation. This ain't no stink'in HTML!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dov, thanks for trying to help me solve this problem.

On my mac I use preview to view the pdf and its fine, Ive just opened it in adobe reader and did the cmd-d it shows the fonts used and says they're all "embedded subset"

Im not sure what program is being used to open up the file on windows. I have attached a screenshot which shows what it looks like when opened in windows. top part is page 2, bottom part page 3 i believe that the lowest part (page 3) is how the font should appear .

the font is fira sans thin. I had the same issue when using clavo thin.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 01.17.05.png

I spoke to a representative of adobe yesterday on the support chat, about this issue and she said this

"Mike are these fonts installed on user's machine ?

I don't know, there embedded in the pdf aren't they?

i didn't think the user had to have the font to see it in a pdf anyway?

No Mike the fonts are not embedded . You need to have those fonts installed on the machine

Sorry I'm really confused now.

so if you sync a font from typekit and use it in a document then export the document as a pdf, every person that views the pdf must have that font used installed in order to see the font?

No mike that is not correct .

The user must also have that font sync via typekit and then only they can view that font

so how can i use a font in indesign to create a pdf which i can send out if the people who receive the fonts don't have the fonts installed. is that possible

Mike you can use the Typekit fonts after you sync those fonts on your machine to create the file which you need , but if you send that file to someone and that user does not have that font installed or synced , it might preserve the outline but the the actual font will not be visible ."

Is this correct? I'm so confused because what this representative said yesterday totally went against everything i thought i could do. could you confirm dov??

Why are fonts so complicated!!!

once again i appreciate the help.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

The information given to you by the “chat” person doesn't seem right. If you can let me see the PDF file itself, I'll gladly analyze it for you on behalf of Adobe.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have examined Mike's file off-forum and responded to him.

Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the PDF file and that the “information” provided to him by the Adobe “chat” person was at best confusing if not totally wrong. Fonts used by the document were properly embedded and used when displaying the PDF files with Adobe Acrobat or Reader. The fonts didn't otherwise need to be installed on the recipient system.

In all likelihood, the problems that were encountered by recipients of Mike's file had to do with use on a PDF reader other than Adobe Acrobat Reader. We could not reproduce any of the symptom he reported on any system with any of the Adobe products viewing the PDF file. Unfortunately, there isn't very much that Adobe can do about crufty PDF readers distributed by third parties.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines