I posted an article several minutes ago that I can't find for some reason.
Anyway the problem was Adobes OTF fonts unreadable by windows.
I finally figured out that the problem was due tu /3GB switch.
When I turn it on OTF fonts (link minion....) cannot be read by windows. I remove the switch, restart windows and evething is working fine.
Actually, it is not at all surprising. Adding the "/3GB" switch in your boot.ini file does give you more 3Gbytes of addressable user virtual address space instead of 2Gbytes, but it also reduces the address space for the kernel from 2 Gbytes to 1 Gbyte. Fonts are loaded and rasterized in the kernel. Reducing the kernel address space by half makes it much more likely that you will run out of memory for resources needed by the kernel. (Thank you Google - I never heard of the /3GB switch until dzoge's posting.)
I am glad you posted this - I am sure other people will run into this problem, and the cause is not something that would be on most people's list to check.
This is a forum for font developers to discuss using Adobe's font development tools. If you're having problems making regular fonts work, that is best discussed on the forum for type manager & fonts for Windows, or perhaps in the typography forum.
You may also wish to contact Adobe tech support....