• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Fonts Type 1 malfunction under Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have the following problem with Adobe Type 1 Fonts (stored as xxxx.pfm and xxxx.pfb files) under Windows 10. The fonts are installed and usable in any document (Word, Publisher…). After restarting Windows, these fonts are no longer accessible and I get the message “Unknown font” when opening these documents. To make them accessible again, they must be reinstalled. However, there is no problem with True Type fonts (xxxxx.ttf).

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Exactly what version of Windows 10 are you running?

I tried installing and accessing multiple Type 1 fonts under Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1909 with all OS updates; this is the most current version of Windows 10. I had no problems whatsoever across reboots. There were some problems in earlier Window 10 versions (possibly about 18 months ago or more) with fonts installed as shortcuts being “lost” on alternate system boots. (I actually found the problem, reported it directly to Microsoft, and w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved this posting from Adobe Fonts to Type & Typography.

The Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit) service does not provide any Type 1 fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what version of Windows 10 are you running?

I tried installing and accessing multiple Type 1 fonts under Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1909 with all OS updates; this is the most current version of Windows 10. I had no problems whatsoever across reboots. There were some problems in earlier Window 10 versions (possibly about 18 months ago or more) with fonts installed as shortcuts being “lost” on alternate system boots. (I actually found the problem, reported it directly to Microsoft, and worked with Microsoft to assure the fix worked.) Thus, unless you have an old version of Windows 10, you should not see that particular problem.

Also note you should not count of “drag and drop” into the Windows Font directory to work anymore. For Type 1 fonts, you must right click on the .pfm file and select Install for all users.

That having been said, you should also be aware that recent versions of Microsoft Office applications, beginning with Office 2013 no longer support Type 1 fonts. The fonts may appear in the list of available fonts, but they won't display or print properly.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your indications which allowed me to find what I was doing wrong.

I was doing a right click on the .pfm file but I selected "Install" instead of "Install for all users".

Now everything is working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines