• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Type 1 Font is not compatible with Windows 8 64bit?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that Adobe Type 1 fonts are not compatible with applications that run on Windows 8 64bit. When used, the appearance of fonts on the screen is not correct. Even worse, the font does not appear at all in the CorelDRAW X6. Strangely, when printed, the fonts were no problems. How can I make these fonts can be used in Windows 8 64bit? For additional information, these fonts appear normally when reviewed through the Windows Fonts folder, but does not display correctly when used in the application.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some applications do not support Postscript fonts. I do not think it is an OS issue. If I am wrong, someone will be around to correct me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the absolute latest updates from Microsoft. A patch issued in December broke Type 1 and OpenType CFF font rendering in some applications. The latest updates from Microsoft should fix this, not only for Windows 8, but also Windows 7, Vista, and Windows XP.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have a similar issue. I do have the latest Windows updates.

I'm on a new Win8 system, and I installed my Adobe type collection (bought years ago with ATM) by copying the .pfm and .pfb files to Windows\Fonts (there's no right-click > install for fonts on Win8 it seems; copying the font files to the font directory is what I've read as the install procedure.)

Windows then shows an error about .pfb incompatibility, so I selected "skip" for those files.

The result is that my fonts are installed and usable BUT this really screws up IE10 for certain websites. For example, I get blank pages for sites like wordpress.org and validator.w3.org. There doesn't seem to be any way to fix this other than doing a system restore to a point before the fonts were installed. Removing the font files from the Windows\Font directory doesn't help. I don't use IE10 with any regularity but I need it to work for testing purposes.

Is there a way to install these fonts? Is there a way to uninstall them (other than a system restore) if they affect IE10?

It's really hard to install on a one-by-one basis as need arises because I can't tell what the font names are from the file names. There's no application, like a type viewer, that will show me the fonts if I double click the file. (I just ran into this now... I need to use a Garamond type face but have no idea which one it is by looking at the .pfm and .pfb files.)

I would consider buying Font Folio if this is the answer but it's only available for a minimum of 5 licenses? I'm a freelancer and only need one licence.

Should I just use an online tool to convert my .pfm/.pfb files to an OpenType or similar format?

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You certainly shouldn't do font conversion hacks. There is always a chance of messing up type quality, font metrics, hinting, etc.

Drag-n-drop is not the process for installing Type 1 fonts. Per Microsoft, you should be able to right-click on the .pfm file for a font and install that way, assuming that the .pfm and .pfb files are in the exact same directory. This is the same as for Windows 7.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 (8.1) and found exactly the same issue as the original poster, Den Yitno. The fonts install fine, show up in most (but not all) applications, look perfect in the Windows font viewer, but are not even close to correct on screen in the application itself. Also as reported, they print Ok, so at least the printer understands Postscript even if the Windows engineers apparently forgot what is was ... I'm also running the 64 bit version of Win8, and have all the latest updates. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem yet? I have the same problem. I have just converted to 64 bit Win8. One thing I notice is that in the Windows font folder, all the dysfunctional fonts have a folder with the image of "$%&" rather than the "Abg" like the working Truetype and Opentype fonts. The Truetype fonts are listed in the Windows font folder, show up in Word font lists but don't look like the actual font, and don't show up at all in Indesign CS2 font lists. I had access to all the fonts in Indesign CS2 when I used Windows XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem yet? I have the same problem. I have just converted to 64 bit Win8. One thing I notice is that in the Windows font folder, all the dysfunctional fonts have a folder with the image of "$%&" rather than the "Abg" like the working Truetype and Opentype fonts. The Truetype fonts are listed in the Windows font folder, show up in Word font lists but don't look like the actual font, and don't show up at all in Indesign CS2 font lists. I had access to all the fonts in Indesign CS2 when I used Windows XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my responses earlier in this thread. How did you attempt to install the Type 1 fonts?

Also, be aware that Microsoft Office 2013 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) don't support Type 1 fonts. There is no workaround for this at all! It was Microsoft's decision. TrueType and OpenType fonts should work fine.

Furthermore, CS2 is an awfully old version of InDesign to be attempting to run on Windows 8 much less the 64-bit version of same; it is six versions out-of-date (about 10 years since it was released) and is not cognizant of major OS file location and system service changes that have occurred over the years.

You should seriously consider updating your fonts to OpenType CFF versions of the old Type 1 fonts as well as licensing the current version of InDesign.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I made a mistake-- it's CS3. 🙂

I have all my fonts -- Type 1, TT and Open type -- on a CD and used Windows Font Install to install them all. It added the names of Type 1 fonts to the list, but they aren't really there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see the fonts in InDesign, try copying the combination of .pfm and .pfb files to the fonts directory for InDesign.

For the latest version of InDesign it is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2014\Fonts

For your version it might be something more like C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS3\Fonts

Let us know if that helps.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested it out with one font -- and it looks like it will work! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. My company is about to purchase computers with Windows 10 and MSWord 2016. We are upgrading from Windows Vista and MSWord 2007. The first obvious problem I've come across is this font issue. All of our archived documents use Adobe's Type 1 font, New Century Schoolbook. The font appears fine when printed to paper or to PDF, but does not appear correct on screen in MSWord.

We have been thinking of purchasing the Adobe's OpenType version of this font, but we would still like our historical documents to appear correct with the older documents.

Also of note: the Type 1 font appears correct in MSPowerPoint on the new computer. I understand that PowerPoint's rendering capabilities are much better than MSWord's, so perhaps this is not surprising.

Thanks for any help solving this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft discontinued Office support of Type 1 fonts beginning with Office 2013. This is true for all Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.). If what you see on the screen or print appears to be correct, it is more by accident than by design. (PowerPoint uses the same text support as Word, by the way!)

This has nothing to do with which Windows version you are using.

Microsoft does support OpenType CFF fonts in Office, but refuses to embed such fonts in PDF files saved using Microsoft's native “save as PDF” capability. Acrobat's PDF creation capabilities for Office do properly embed OpenType CFF fonts as well as resolve many other Microsoft PDF issues.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov. That is very helpful.

It is rather frustrating to think that our older files will not be editable in Word 2016.

Going forward, I am inclined to replace our Type 1 version of New Century Schoolbook with the OpenType version. We produce our PDFs with Acrobat, and we don't generally share Word files with clients.

However, it would be good to understand which font types are ideal for working with Word. Is it only TrueType fonts that can be embedded in Word documents?

On a final note, I came across the following, Changes in Office 2013‌‌, which indicates that Word does not support Type 1 fonts, but says nothing of the other Office apps, which makes me think that those fonts are still supported in PowerPoint and Excel as they appear correct for me on screen.

Thanks again for your help,

Daniel O'Keefe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically speaking, Microsoft will only allow embedding of TrueType fonts within an Office document itself (as opposed to a PDF file generated from same).

That having been said, very few TrueType fonts will embed in an Office document itself because in order to be eligible for such embedding, the font must allow installable embedding, two levels more lenient than editable embedding and preview and print embedding. The fact is that most commercial fonts allow only preview and print embedding with some, such as the “Adobe Originals” (such as Adobe Garamond, Myriad, Minion, etc.) allowing editable embedding. Thus, whether font files can be embedded in the Office document should not be a factor in font selection.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the same problem as Daniel O´Keefe.

My qestion is:

Do you have any solution to automatically update old worddocuments with a working specific font???

Best regards

Bobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov for your explanation.

There's no problem with Type 1 fonts in InDesign, but I've just jumped from Office 2010 to Office 2016 and wondered what was going on with them.  However, despite not displaying correctly in Word 2016, the printed and Acrobat-driven PDF output was fine.

I checked and discovered my Gill Sans and TNR PS fonts date from 1991. Good value! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are lucky. This is not globally true depending upon the print driver.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hope my luck holds!

I use mostly PCL5 on my last century HP LJ 4050 DTN which has just topped half a million pages.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines