• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anybody genuinely use cloud fonts or Typekit in their workflow? They've never worked for me.

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not intended to be a flaming thread, but I am frustrated, and I'd like to get an impression on whether this is a shared problem, or it's just me.

I currently work across three seperate Adobe licenses in different capacities, and several machines. I'm still relatively new in media, but in seven years and two full-time positions, I've never been able to implement Adobe fonts into a legitimate project, either through the Typekit website or from inside Adobe apps.

Font-matching failures and sync hanging are simply standard and accepted behaviour. This understanding is shared between me and the colleagues I work with.

Occasionally I forget, and successfully choose a cloud font through the font-dropdown in Photoshop or Illustrator, but it never successfully re-syncs the next time I authorise my machine. If a font is included in my Adobe license, I typically find it through Google Fonts or pirate it for local installation. It never crosses my mind that Typekit is a legitimate option.

But after downloading Open Sans for the umpteenth time, it's occured to me that this is pretty silly. The fonts troubleshooting steps are a few lines long and consist of the usual firewall checks and reinstallation. And any search through Google or the Support Community definitely gives the impression that this is a shared frustration.

Does anybody really use Adobe cloud fonts in their workflows as of June 2020? I'd really like to.

TOPICS
Missing font , Sync issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers... not sure what to take from that.

Either no one wants to respond to my little whinge, or everyone else works just fine with this and I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this sounds weird to me. I have been using Typikit sporadically, but I don't meet the troubles you report.

The only unusual thing that might happen and that you mention, is that let's say I used a typeface on an application, let's say Ai, then I move the file to Ps and it looks like it does not recognize the font. 

For me, though, it is not even always the case. In fact, I might procede opening the file and despite the warning that the font is missing, once ps has processed and opened the content, everything is where it should be.

I try to guess what that might depend on, let me ask you a question: do you share the files with your colleagues? Do you all work on the same ones, or when they report the issue to you, it is about their own files?

my question is driven by this thought: that maybe the files moving through clouds to different users, breaks on the way and your typekit fails to sync with theirs, so when the file is back to your pc, it is internally altered.

A wild guess 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am super frustrated at Adobe for the font garbage. Six months ago I chose and spec'd our latest catalog. Then, one of the major fonts is gone because their agreement it up.

If you're not going to continue the font for the foreseeable future, don't offer it, Adobe. I've learned in life not to fall in love with what I cannot have. Now the print date is approaching and I have to swap out a bunch of fonts BECAUSE. they are the only game in town.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find it hard to recommend using the fonts in Adobe fonts for any project with a lifetime beyond "transient", since they depend on third party agreements, and as we've seen, font vendors are free and motivated to remove themselves. (Conceivably, a foundry might even sign up for a year to get exposure for their fonts, in the hope of follow up sales. The foundry will also be looking at revenue levels from Adobe Fonts versus the traditional model.) The exception I'd hope is actual "Adobe fonts" i.e. those made by Adobe as a foundry. Otherwise, I suggest using Adobe fonts to find and prototype the fonts, then purchase the required licenses. Leaving it and saying we'll license the fonts if they are dropped from Adobe fonts is another plan, but what happens if the foundry closes down? Other people, and Adobe themselves, might take a different view of this of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines