• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ethnocentric font not working properly in Creative Cloud... please help!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Ethnocentric font - that I downloaded from somewhere a long time ago - for my company logo for years now... but I created my current logo with the outdated Fireworks app.
(I always found Illustrator way too difficult to use, sticking to Fireworks instead)

- Now I'm finally switching to Illustrator, in order to re-create the old logo's that I have, this time in a decent vector quality (rather than pixel quality that I had with Fireworks).

However, I'm already bumping into a font issue... in the old Fireworks app, I could easily edit the Ethnocentric font into regular/italic/bold.
But in Illustrator I can only access regular.

* Now I've searched Google for options, and it seems that I have to buy a newer version of the Ethnocentric font?
I found out the Ethnocentric font (modern version dated from 2010) is created by the company Larabie Fonts/Typodermic Fonts.
When I go to their website, and look for the Ethnocentric font, I get redirected to Ethnocentric Fonts | Fontspring​ (complete package sold for $71).

--> Can I be sure, that when I buy this complete package... that all the regular/italic/bold will actually work across all modern Creative Cloud apps??
I don't want to bump into the same issue again, finding out that only the regular font works.

My configuration;

Mac late 2015

OS X 10.11.5
Adobe Creative Cloud v3.7.0.272

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

We know of no reason why these fonts shouldn't work as advertised! 

Remember that in Illustrator (as well as InDesign and Photoshop), font names have two parts, the font family name and a style name, where the style name is not limited to regular, italic, bold, and bold italic, but can also can include other attributes including width (condensed, semicondensed, expanded, etc.) in conjunction with italic, bold, etc. The attributes of italic, bold, and bold italic aren't baked into these applicati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know of no reason why these fonts shouldn't work as advertised! 

Remember that in Illustrator (as well as InDesign and Photoshop), font names have two parts, the font family name and a style name, where the style name is not limited to regular, italic, bold, and bold italic, but can also can include other attributes including width (condensed, semicondensed, expanded, etc.) in conjunction with italic, bold, etc. The attributes of italic, bold, and bold italic aren't baked into these applications.

One possible reason for your old font “not working” as you expect it to is that Adobe graphic arts applications (unlike Microsoft Office, other enterprise applications, and maybe even Fireworks) don't provide an automatic method of producing faux italic, bold, and bold italic when all you have is the base “regular” style. If all you had was one typeface for Ethnocentric, then the behavior you are experiencing in Illustrator is correct and as-designed. You could conceivably do some hacking around with your text to get faux italics (actually oblique) and bold. Italics can be simulated by making the text oblique (directly in InDesign, indirectly in Illustrator). Bold can be simulated by stroking the font in addition to filling it. For bold italics, combine the two methods. In fact, that is the way the other applications produce such faux styles.

That having been said, I would strongly recommend licensing the actual styles you need and not having to hack around. The Ethnocentric font family is available for $71 (includes 12 styles, each of which is $9). This is relatively inexpensive. The time you save from not having to fiddle around to product faux styles must be worth much more than that!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer... I decided to buy a license to the font, since indeed it's worth being worry-free now.
I just tested it, and it works flawless!!
Besides, I only need Ethnocentric, for all the other editing I normally use system default fonts, such as Verdana, Arial and such... so the $71 isn't a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Md2613556481z7 What is your question?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines