• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improper font character spacing in MS Word 2013 (Windows 8)

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2008, I purchased some Adobe fonts (Garamond Pro Regular, Adobe Garamond Pro Bold, Helvetica Std Roman, Futura Std Book) for use in MS Word 2007 with Windows XP operating software (and had no issues).

I have now recently purchased a new computer, and I am now using MS Word 2013 (Office 365, if that matters) and Windows 8.  When i went to install the fonts, the '.pfm' extension is not specifically listed like the 'pfb' is listed (for example, with Garamond, it shows 'gdb__.pfb' and 'gdb__' [the '.pfb' file doesn't install, the error message saying the Type 1 font 'cannot be installed directly', but to please 'install the associated 'PFM' file' {which I have done}]).

In Word, the character spacing (set to 'normal' in Word) is very condensed (my 177-page document [in Word 2007/XP) is shortened to 154 pages (Word 2013/Windows 8) with the installed Adobe fonts.

Am I needing to do anything differently?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

To expand on Miguel's response to you …

(1)  Microsoft discontinued all support whatsoever for use of Type 1 fonts with any and all Microsoft Office applications beginning with Office 2013 (a.k.a. Office 365). It treats any existing documents with text formatted with Type 1 fonts as if the text was formatted with a non-existent font, substituting some other Windows system font for the Type 1 font(s). Microsoft continues to support TrueType fonts, OpenType CFF fonts, and OpenType TrueType fonts.

(2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

The fonts you mentioned purchasing were all released as OpenType fonts (.otf file extension). There are no Type 1 fonts with the designation Pro or Std in their family names.

If the files you have have the extensions .pfb and .pfm, then what you purchased was Type 1 fonts of those designs.

As far as I know Office 2013 does not support Type 1 fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on Miguel's response to you …

(1)  Microsoft discontinued all support whatsoever for use of Type 1 fonts with any and all Microsoft Office applications beginning with Office 2013 (a.k.a. Office 365). It treats any existing documents with text formatted with Type 1 fonts as if the text was formatted with a non-existent font, substituting some other Windows system font for the Type 1 font(s). Microsoft continues to support TrueType fonts, OpenType CFF fonts, and OpenType TrueType fonts.

(2)  Fonts licensed from Adobe for at least the last dozen years have been OpenType CFF fonts. The names you mention — Garamond Pro Regular, Adobe Garamond Pro Bold, Helvetica Std Roman, and Futura Std Book — are names of Adobe OpenType CFF fonts, not Type 1 fonts by virtue of the Pro or Std designation. Such fonts are each represented by a single, cross-platform font file with the file suffix .otf. However, you are referring to .pfb and .pfm files which are Type 1 fonts which would not have been made available to you when you licensed any of the Pro or Std OpenType CFF fonts. (FWIW, Type 1 fonts require both a .pfb and a .pfm file for installation and use. You right click on the .pfm file and select the install option.)

(3) If in fact you did license the OpenType CFF Pro and/or Std fonts, you need to find those font files and install them. The Type 1 versions, the origins of which seem cloudy given your description are useless with Microsoft Office even if you install them properly on Windows 8.x (or any other Windows version).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help;it looks like I need to come up with other fonts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines