• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A new improvement

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer change the font in my messages from the almost illegible tiny bad copy of Helvetica that someone chose for these forums, to one of the fonts that have been specially designed for screen reading like Verdana. I can make and see the change on screen, but text reverts to Arial on posting.

Safari/Mac; Explorer and Safari on Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 8/31/2010 8:57 PM:

I can no longer change the font in my messages from the almost illegible tiny bad copy of Helvetica that someone chose for these forums, to one of the fonts that have been specially designed for screen reading like Verdana.

That is a consequence of closing a number of loopholes that allowed

spammers to inject invisible links in messages.

But IMHO this is a very positive side effect. Font control now lies with

the reader of these forums who can use the techniques described in the

FAQ to control how text should be rendered. This allows people to choose

a font that matches the way they read these forums depending on device

(laptop or mobile phone), application (browser or client) etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it's good to know that at least it wasn't deliberate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save this as a CSS and put in yourBrowser Preference Folder:

#jive-wrapper {

width:100% !important;

background-color: #ffffff !important;

background-image: none !important;

}

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forums.adobe.com") {
  body {
    font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif !important;
  }
}

In FF and SM  name as userContent.css and put in chrome folder

This has no affect on what gets sent. Just what you see on screen.

And btw the user should be able to set permanently what font style and size he wants to send permanently, if he she so wishes.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones    addition to comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made some quick tests here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3098936#3098936

and it would seem that the following formatting features are also gone:

Underline. Change text color or size. Indenting. Right and center alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also went to test and as a result of their mucking

around they have broken color, strike through, and underline. Why can't when they fix lopholes or bugs can they not break other items. Despite Jockems spin on the matter the truth is they broke a lot items.  If there is no way to add items such as color, stike through, underline what the point in using html. we are just as well off to use plain text. I'd be supprised if even camera or the other items work.

Great work Jive and Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Please try to get your facts straight. They specifically tuned off these features because spammers were using them to insert invisible links. It's not th best solution, but probably unavoidable under the circumstances.

There's a big difference between disabling something and breaking it! The ones who "broke things" were the spammers...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

Phillip,

Please try to get your facts straight. They specifically tuned off these features because spammers were using them to insert invisible links. It's not th best solution, but probably unavoidable under the circumstances.

There's a big difference between disabling something and breaking it! The ones who "broke things" were the spammers...

Harbs

The fix for that is remove the ability to add anything invisible not <b>break Features </b>

If they'd use a Different system other Than Jive they wouldn't have these problems

Even PHPbb doesn't have these Problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

The fix for that is remove the ability to add anything invisible not <b>break Features </b>

You listed 3 features that were 'broken': color, strike through, and underline. Of those, removing the ability to change the font color so that you can use a font color that is the same as the background color is deliberate. It is also quite common to hide links by linking a few words to another page, and then underlining the whole sentence in which these words occur. That strike through doesn't work requires some knowledge of HTML is indeed an undesirable side effect.

The question is really what is more important to people. We knew stuff would break as a consequence of this change. We didn't know whether people really cared enough about the broken features to prefer to have the more spam as a consequence. Depending on what people say the configuration may change in the future to get some or all of those broken features back.

My personal opinion on what is more important is based on the following observations:

1. it took almost 2 weeks before somebody even noticed some stuff didn't work anymore.
  2. that spammer that posted hundreds of messages from different accounts with a firstname.lastname pattern with hidden links in the quoted text stopped the moment the change was made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

You listed 3 features that were 'broken': color, strike through, and underline. Of those, removing the ability to change the font color so that you can use a font color that is the same as the background color is deliberate. It is also quite common to hide links by linking a few words to another page, and then underlining the whole sentence in which these words occur. That strike through doesn't work requires some knowledge of HTML is indeed an undesirable side effect.

The question is really what is more important to people. We knew stuff would break as a consequence of this change. We didn't know whether people really cared enough about the broken features to prefer to have the more spam as a consequence. Depending on what people say the configuration may change in the future to get some or all of those broken features back.

My personal opinion on what is more important is based on the following observations:

1. it took almost 2 weeks before somebody even noticed some stuff didn't work anymore.
  2. that spammer that posted hundreds of messages from different accounts with a firstname.lastname pattern with hidden links in the quoted text stopped the moment the change was made.

I and Claudio and others don't use use such for emphasis or Corrections on a Day to day Basis. The reason the items were not caught.

Fine, kill the color if necessary. But the Other items should work. There is no excuse for breaking other items unintended, just to kill color. the lack of color.

You could have done the same thing by simply  removing the Color Button all together. and removed the ability to add color manually, instead of using a meat axe approach.

Its soon going to get to the point where we will have to go back to an authenticated, secure NNTP news Server. (we might be better off). Or get  away from Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote on 9/1/2010 4:22 PM:

You could have done the same thing by simply removing the Color Button all together. and removed the ability to add color manually, instead of using a meat axe approach.

I didn't know we could have done that. If you could please take a quick

look at http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/docs/DOC-1640 and then

explain to us which values we have to enter in the available fields I am

sure Adobe will gladly update the configuration.

But just in case your gratuitous statement turns out to be unfounded:

given the choice, do you want the spam or the features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

I didn't know we could have done that. If you could please take a quick

look at http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/docs/DOC-1640 and then

explain to us which values we have to enter in the available fields I am

sure Adobe will gladly update the configuration.

But just in case your gratuitous statement turns out to be unfounded:

given the choice, do you want the spam or the features?

LOL. Best...answer...EVER.

Go for it Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the site but you have to have a business. I would have taken JVD up on it otherwise.Had it been open to anyone, I would have jumped at the chance in a heartbeat. I would brought some other issues about us having use software that hadn't bee updated in about a year. About being serveral versions behind. One version which would have fixed the problem of misterous line breaks.  And the matter of having to a CSS Hack in your Browser to use the full space of your Browser instead of having all that wasted space.

If I had a list of all the greviences I would have listed them All.

JVD may think is gratuitous, I don't. And he seems to make light of people who care about this forum but have less knowledge than he.

Its not a choice between either or. You could work on getting rid of the spam and fix the problems, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote on 9/1/2010 7:56 PM:

I went to the site but you have to have a business. I would have taken JVD up on it otherwise.

To create an account as a private individual, enter the following

information in the "Company info" fieldset:

Your Title: -

Company Name: private

Company Size: 1-99

Industry: other

I look forward to your recommendations on the proper configuration of

these forums so we may better combat spam while keeping all the useful

features enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

I look forward to your recommendations on the proper configuration of

these forums so we may better combat spam while keeping all the useful

features enabled.

Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

... removing the ability to change the font color so that you can use a font color that is the same as the background color is deliberate.

I don't know - perhaps because I am on vacation, but I can still change the font color to create an invisible link: http://www.adobe.com/ ← can you see that?

Edit: ok, I can create the "invisible" link, but visibility comes back after posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing

Lorem ipsum RED

Lorem ipsum GREEN - CENTERED

EDIT:  Changes confirmed.

Style:  Header 1  !! ??

Camera icon:  Adobe_forums_Camera-icon-in-reply-box.jpg

Well, the camera icon still works.

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cop out. pfft. call a freakin waaaaaa-mbulance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I signed up per JVD's instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I've gotten ito the forums section:

where do I post to section related to the Adobe forums

I need a ligitmate list of the faults of the current systems

here are some I can think of:

1. Update Forum system 2.5.16 to 4.0.11 or the most current version available.
  2. Fix bug related To lines of text misteriously breaking at just any point without user's knowledge or help.
  3. fix bug related to turning off ability to use Color because of spam concerns. Return the abilities to use underline, strike through, italics
  4. remove completely from menu the button for changing the color (misnamed as Style).
  5. fix bug and return the ability to insert attachments Forum, without creating a way to introduce spam or cause harm to system.

As soon as I get a list I will Post it.

Okay I've saved this list  and as soon as I get a list of other problems I will report them.

I am dead serious about these matters. It nonsense we have to put up with this stuff for 18 months or more and we just receive lips service from adobe and the monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

How about sticking to the point? In your previous message you claimed we could have removed the color button and the ability to add color alltogether. That is something we didn't know was possible, so I asked you to tell us how we can configure that. Based on the configuration options from http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/docs/DOC-1640, what should we enter in the configuration fields to remove the color options without the negative side effects we are currently experiencing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

In your previous message you claimed we could have removed the color button and the ability to add color alltogether. That is something we didn't know was possible

What? Phil has commented on something that has nothing to do with the issue?

Get...out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

How about sticking to the point? In your previous message you claimed we could have removed the color button and the ability to add color alltogether. That is something we didn't know was possible, so I asked you to tell us how we can configure that. Based on the configuration options from http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/docs/DOC-1640, what should we enter in the configuration fields to remove the color options without the negative side effects we are currently experiencing?

You mean to tell me that  the designers of this great software can not remove the button for style (color)  you were able to  remove the button to insert files.

Remove the button for style.  Then remove the ability to change color, If that is what causing spam problems.

Gosh  I hope all programmers can't think that far ahead. You remove both.

Now your just trying to tease me.

The offer is still open  send me a list of all the troubles. I might not be able to come up with a cure. I can at least report them. That's better than the current situation. Odds are the adobe people and the Jive people are unaware of what needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

I'm sure the Jive folks are equally as eager to fix problems with software lagging a couple of versions behind as Adobe is to issue patches to address issues if someone refused to upgrade Acrobat or Photoshop!

In other words, I don't believe reporting issues to Jive is likely to change anything other than to give you a warm fuzzy that you would then know it was reported. To someone. Somewhere.

Just sayin... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Phillip

I'm sure the Jive folks are equally as eager to fix problems with software lagging a couple of versions behind as Adobe is to issue patches to address issues if someone refused to upgrade Acrobat or Photoshop!

Fair enough, I suppose, but what the heck are they doing still selling the product then?

Just a sayin'.

Guess maybe I'm not a good judge, but it seems to me that if a company is selling a product, they should continue to provide support for it, and/or fix problems, no?  (Unless of course Adobe did not buy the product, but found it in a box of remainders at a church rummage sale. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines