• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A variant of the split personality syndrome?

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I logged in these forums earlier today, I experienced what I think may be a curious variant of the split personality syndrome. In Firefox 3.6.15 under Mac OS 10.6.6 I used my bookmark to this particular forum. When I came in, the "Welcome Claudio González" next to my new avatar was there as usual below the Forums title. But in the list of threads, there was a recent one initiated by me, in which my avatar was fine, but my name had some garbage added at the end. I therefore opened the thread, and there I appeared with my new avatar, the correct number of my posts and and my correct registration date, but with the same wrong name. I then opened my profile and, to my surprise, there was no photo, no history, no avatar, no recent activity, nothing. Everything was blank.

Suspecting a possible Firefox problem, I closed Firefox without attempting to correct the problem, and moved to my Win 7 machine. On using my bookmark to this forum, I found that everything was completely normal, both in Explorer and Safary. No letters added to my name, my profile was as usual, nothing abnormal at all.

I then came back to my Mac, reloaded Firefox, and used my bookmark to this forum. And everything is back to normal again!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you have an evil Twin.Before you open FF again locate the cahe file for FF and dump the whole (cache) folder or file. and reopen.

If it happens agin it a problem at Jive ... uh I mean at adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, the problem af

fected only Firefox/Mac, it did so only tempo

rarily, and was solved by itself, without my intervetion (other that

closing FF, connecting from a Win machine, getting back to my Mac and reopening and re-entering through FF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions I gave were to clear up cache problems in FF.

If that had not worked then it would have been at adobe's end.

There were to items at play FireFox and Adobe. clearing  Cache in FireFox would have cleared up problem of FF end. leaving Adobe.

Since you closed and reopend FF  the problem went away. You still need to remove FF cache to prevent such problems.

Because the cacahe is the most written to item. Then is the number one item to corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, you don't seem to understand.

I didn't have to do anything be

cause the problem was solved by itself. I didn't have the chance to try any fix because by the time I came back to my Mac the problem was no longer there.

Please don't make me feel sorry for reporting what I still think was not the usual split personality problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood you perfectly well.  What I posted was to possibly prevent from happening again. I dump the cache from FF or SeaMonkey several times a day. The amount of cache memory required is vast now as opposed to just a few years ago. And cache files are the easiest to corrupt. So why keep them to screw up your viewing.

In fact I use AppleJack to Dump all cache files at least once a week.  Even on my new Computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you, but I refuse to dump mine unless forced to do so.
And thanks for trying to help, but I am no novice (you should know that), and I have known about cookies for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact I use AppleJack to Dump all cache files at least once a week.  Even on my new Computer.

Have you tried using Ccleaner?  It clears almost all useless files like temp and browser cache and image files that don't get cleared automatically.

It is worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not open this thread to discuss different ways of removing cookies

; only to report a variant of the spl

it personality syndrome. And I am

perfectly aware of the recommended ways to recover from a ghost identit

y.

In the case I am reporting, the extra identity was observed only in a given combination of browser/OS but not in others; and disappeared by itself within minutes. I therefore would be grateful if helpful people would stop offering me ways to correct the problem or prevent its happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines