• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe refuses to sell their products!!! We have to just RENT them now? [2013]

New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why won't Adobe sell it's products any longer? If I pay Adobe the monthly subscription for 12 months and then have a poor couple of months financially and need to cut costs, then I loose all rights to use Adobe products installed. Or if I pay you this monthly fee, and Adobe has financial issues, ie the GFC, and it goes bankrupt and closes down, then bad luck all the thousands of Adobe subscribes, you no longer have a product to use. This makes about as much sense as a kick in the head. What happened to looking after your valued customers that have purchased your products from the early days when Adobe actually valued it's clients? Sure give us the option of a monthly subscription, but some don't want to rent your product. We would actually prefer to buy them and own it. Some of us give their older versions of photoshop to our kids to learn and hey maybe one day when they leave school and work in the creative world because of that old version of photoshop dad gave them, end up buying the latest version of adobe CS for themselves. But if I rent it, well bad luck, only I can use it on my computer (One user at a time) and too bad everyone else in my household. Mmm, to say I'm disappointed with Adobe would be an understatement. More like disgusted. So much for loyalty and valued clients. If Adobe refuses to sell me their products well I guese I'll just have to look for an alternative, or keep using my older versions which I purchased and own. Good bye Adobe, Whenever you are ready to start selling me your products, I'll start listening again.

TOPICS
Collaboration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ygt42876 wrote:

This IS a kick in the head. But, studies have shown people like to be kicked in the head and Wallstreet is very happy with Adobe for kicking you in the head. Kicking you in the head is clearly the optimal way of destroying one's customer base and replacing it with, well... people kicked in the head.

I'm sorry adobe... but obvious money grab is obvious. Very disappointed and no confidence in you as a reliable company after this.

Now this is not going to be read by the Adobe hierarchy because they are too busy enjoying the fruits of their kicks!!

The only people reading these forums are: Professional Pirates (yours sincerely here ), unpaid MVPs who have nothing better to do, and of course, octogenarians who are passing their last few days on this planet.

Perhaps Adobe's final kick to your head must have damaged your brain.  I hope not because your custom is vital for the survival of Adobe.  Anyway, what exactly are you disappointed about?  You can still buy CS6 products and if you want something else to replace Adobe then the nearest one is Corel.  It is worth a try and you get update offers based on your Adobe products.  They are looking for new customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What they are looking at is making more money from ongoing subscriptions and reducing piracy. A good business model if you look at it from their point of view.

As for myself I would prefer to have some progam functionality available on my computer as sometimes the cloud just is not available.

cheers,

Alex Zemkus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex Zemkus wrote:

As for myself I would prefer to have some progam functionality available on my computer as sometimes the cloud just is not available.

I take it you don't know how the Cloud subscription works and that you haven't bothered to find out in more details, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With CC you download the software.  And as long as it can phone Home and keep activation alive.  If however if you have poor internet and it can't phone home you have very expensive Hard Drive filler.

Yesterday I had to reset my cable modem 2 times. And 3 times today. (heat draging signal down). Tomorrow it will be even hot I'll be very surpised if I don't have to do a reset 3-5 times or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be lecturing on photography at this year's International Association for Identification conference in Providence, RI (Crime scene professional organization), and I have decided to alter my presentation to include a section on MIGRATING AWAY FROM ADOBE PRODUCTS. Congradulations, Adobe, you aren't simply running off your customers, you're now running off the people who TRAIN them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What alternatives will you be addressing specifically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still researching alternatives (asking questions of company reps), but I will be bringing up someof the general requirements for court use (such as adjustment logs, working copies, non-destructive editing, security, etc.) and what we should be looking for in alternatives. PS was almost perfect for us, but this new model will cause issues for agencies.

BTW, I am specifically looking at Corel this upcoming week, waiting for a friend who uses it to sit down with me. Also, A guy in a neighboring jurisdiction has been using GIMP with great success, so I'll be discussing that software with him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, this days I was thinking that for newcomers it is bad, I learned how to use photoshop in that 30 day trial period(back in CS1 days), even the classroom course from Adobe take me 2-3 months, so I think with no alternative to online subscription the base of people who will learn/know Photoshop will shrink,and this is baaad for Adobe in long run...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no longer trial versions to download.  This is all stopped and people have to try Adobe Creative Cloud.  The idea is when people start to try the new "Product" then the uptake will pick up. 

So no more trial downloads for the most popular products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course there are trials - the change is simply in the way they are delivered. You can install any CC application through the Application Manager and it'll run in trial mode for 30 days - completely free, no committment to buy, no strings attached. All the non-CC applications remain available for trial as standalone installers as they were before.

Adobe.Hacker wrote:

There is no longer trial versions to download. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand from having chatted with 3 different adobe reps is that you have 30 days to try all programs simultaneously when joining Creative Cloud.  Not separately 30 days each.  For instance I will not be able to install photoshop and try it for 30 days then install illustrator a month later and try it for 30 days.  One rep told me that the trial period of all softwares will start running the day i join creative cloud irrespective of when I install the software.  The other 2 said its from the day that I install the first trial software of any program through CC.  So the 30 days is more like a 30 day trial of cloud which give you access to all programs you wish to test drive during that 30 day period.  Does anyone know otherwise from experience.  Do you have a full 30 days to evaluate each program that you install on separate occasions?  Also note, despite still selling the CS6 software (now July 2013), the they no longer offer trials of CS6 altogether through Adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the CS6 trial, which is hard to find, but still available

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1244030

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. Have you or anyone you know tried installing them through this link now that CC is out?  Do they require any type of authentication to run as trials like Creative Cloud does?  Just curious.  I have/own CS6 but I have my students install trials of programs at home to test drive them at different times in the semester and need them to have access to each without having to put it on a credit card with month to month subscription, which by the way, automatically renews after 30 days if

forget cancel.  I only have one computer at home so I cant test it on that one since I already have CS6 installed, otherwise I'd let you guys know.  If no-one knows, no worries, I'm going to have our IT guy check it out.  He's got plenty computers to test on 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The reps are wrong. I'll see if I can get their information corrected.

The trial clock for our applications starts when you first launch the application. You will be directly called to click a 'Start Trial' button, at which point the 30 day count down starts for the discrete application that you launched. The Free Creative Cloud membership registration has no timing impact on when those Trial periods start, and each application has it's own counter; they are not triggering a collective countdown timer.

I'm sorry for any confusion.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Thank you for this great news, and very thorough answer that makes me certain you understand my question/concern.  I thought it was odd that it wasn't a 30 day trial each for each independent software, hence why I kept asking different reps in chat—I even saved the last conversation I had with the last one (copy/pasted it for my reference) to reread it just in case I once again misunderstood what they said.  I think I should mention that the reps I spoke to were sales reps...as they identified themselves as such and the chat was initiated when I was on the trial/buy page and started with "How may I help you with your purchase today?"  I wish they would have forwarded me over to the appropriate people to discuss my concerns.  But instead I got the answers that apparently were NOT accurate and the rep I spoke to insisted on me purchasing a month-to-month subscription then cancel it before 30 days to get a refund so that it would work as a trial.  I was like, "but what if I forget to cancel?  You'll automatically charge me for the next month even if I don't need/intend to buy it?", he said, it will ask you before renewing a few days before so you have the option to cancel, and I'm thinking what if I don't turn on my computer in those days to see the notification. But either way, on the website it said it will automatically renew for the next and be automatically charged to my credit card so my guess is that i don't get a notification to authorize just a notification to know its going to happen and my credit card gets charged automatically anyways unless I do something about it.  Ok, now I'm just venting. 

But thank you for the reassurance.  I installed my first app today.  It seems to reaffirm what you said by stating, that I am using a specific software's trial version and that I have 30 days to use this trial.  The trials seem duration seems specific to this software.  Just like before prior to cloud   YAY!!!   I'll install another one that I don't really need tomorrow  to see/confirm once and for all that the numbers left on each trial are different based on the day of install for each  and indeed run independent from eachother.  I hope you don't get offended that I see for myself, but I'm a full-on spas so even though I'm 99% comfortable with your answer at this point and super greatful for you help which prompted me just to install a trial to see, I want to see it for myself Then I will feel 100% passing this info on to my students.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! 

-ailed.

SG... wrote:

Hi,

The reps are wrong. I'll see if I can get their information corrected.

The trial clock for our applications starts when you first launch the application. You will be directly called to click a 'Start Trial' button, at which point the 30 day count down starts for the discrete application that you launched. The Free Creative Cloud membership registration has no timing impact on when those Trial periods start, and each application has it's own counter; they are not triggering a collective countdown timer.

I'm sorry for any confusion.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't like greed people/company,I continue to work in CS6, meanwhile I will start to learn gimp(this is good because it is OS independent), so in 1-2 years, when CS6 will be obsolete I will have a safety belt, I will have the option to choose...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious...  What do you think (besides a newer version of Photoshop) will make Photoshop CS6 obsolete?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At each 3-4 years I change the hardware,so I must change the software too(OS mainly), from my experience my cpu with 4core work worst in Win Xp Sp3 than a cpu with 2 core in win xp sp3, also PS6 with win7 work more stable with my video card,than PS5, so if I need speed and quality(until I know well the gimp),at this moment, I am stuck with PS6...I understand the rent ideea,but I don't like to be blackmailed, to not have a alternative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is this:  On the assumption that the only software more functional than Photoshop CS6 for quite a while is going to be a newer version of Photoshop, maybe you should just consider using Photoshop CS6 for quite a while, then worry about what's next further down the line.  Who knows, maybe even Adobe will offer things in a few years that they don't have now.

You can buy a good workstation today (and for the foreseeable future) that will run Windows 7 or 8 and will power Photoshop CS6 extremely well.  This will certainly be viable for longer than 1-2 years.  If you push it (as apparently you have with Windows XP), one could imagine going with that combination for 6 years or longer.

I'm not saying you shouldn't investigate alternatives, just that Photoshop CS6 isn't going to be obsolete in short order.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you will be right(for the sake of my wallet), but a safety belt it is allways a good thing(I was worked before with gimp, 8-9years ago, it was a good option for PS)...well, for now I just feel blackmailed from Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pigulici wrote:

I hope you will be right(for the sake of my wallet), but a safety belt it is allways a good thing(I was worked before with gimp, 8-9years ago, it was a good option for PS)...well, for now I just feel blackmailed from Adobe...

A good replacement for Photoshop is "Photoshop Elements 11".  Have you tried it yet?  It is not on cloud yet so you should be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  Photoshop Elements(it come with a wacom tablet), it have not all I need(like PS)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pigulici wrote:

At each 3-4 years I change the hardware,so I must change the software too

I download all new software as soon as they are released and work on them to make sure they work on my machine.

Why wait.  time is precious and the world is competitive out there.  Mind you, one needs to learn new software because there are always differences and so trial software are ideal for that.  Microsoft, Corel, Adobe etc all provide trial software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I'm curious...  What do you think (besides a newer version of Photoshop) will make Photoshop CS6 obsolete?

-Noel

NEF files That Nikon and other Camar outfits uses. Each time a New Nikon camera comes on the scene requires a new version of Photoshop Unless you use a Download translator with adds another layer of files to put up with TheTranslator code for all camera should simply be updated Apple puts out a New Raw  Updates ever couple of months or sooner so That all applications excepts Adobes which chooses to go down their own path will be able to open natively any camara that is on the market.  Even Light room can open Modern Nikon and other cameras that use NEF Out of the Gate. Its only Photoshop that requires a new version of Photoshop with each new Camera.  Although the Translatorworks weel that additional 20 MB or more files on you hard drive and everytime you translate files from one format to another you use detail. so you never see exactly on your computer what you see out of the camera. I've seen cases where the NEF file was 26mb and the Translator equivalent was 20 that's a lot of missing detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Noel Carboni wrote:

-Noel

NEF files That Nikon and other Camar outfits uses. Each time a New Nikon camera comes on the scene requires a new version of Photoshop

Phillip, as is the case with others all too often lately, you're basing an entire line of reasoning on a flawed assumption.

The information is out there (and even in here).  What do you make of the following two statements Adobe has published?

From:  http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

For how long will Adobe continue to sell Creative Suite 6?

We plan to sell Creative Suite 6 for use on supported platforms indefinitely. To learn more visit: http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html

From:  http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/answering-your-questions-about-photoshop-cc.html

Q: If you’re going to continue selling Photoshop CS6, will I still get Camera Raw updates?

A: Because Adobe is still selling Photoshop CS6, those customers will continue to receive updated file format compatibility via Adobe Camera Raw 8. When we update ACR8 with new camera support, Photoshop CS6 customers can work with the new version of the Camera Raw plug-in. No new features or functionality will be available in ACR to Photoshop CS6 customers as part of those updates. See Tom Hogarty’s post on “The Future of Adobe Camera Raw” for more details.

I'm just trying to help educate people who want to see only the bad through bloodshot eyes.

Sticking with Photoshop CS6 starts to seem like a quite reasonable alternative for the folks who don't have the need nor desire to subscribe.  As long as nothing better comes along from someone else, and you don't feel compelled to join the subscription model down the line because of some gee whiz new feature Adobe makes available only through CC, where's the problem?

Be realistic, you can't make detailed high-tech plans beyond a few years into the future anyway.  You can't really know what kinds of computer capabilities or gadgets will be available in 2016 yet.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines