• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attach Image Not Working - 11-17-09

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like the maintenance last night broke the ability to attach a JPG image directly to a post. Sizes are well within both pixel dimensions and also file size. Tried with a .PNG of the same ones.

Note that they will still Attach from the lower-left of the editing screen, and can be opened, but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

Fix one thing, and break others,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture 1.png

Tested, 1st time took forever and did not do anything..just stuck. Second time image went right on through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested, 1st time took forever and did not do anything..just stuck. Second time image went right on through.

Thank you for testing. It's been several hours, so I need to test again. I kept getting an error message, and kept dropping the rez of the image, to no avail.

Block Quotes is acting funky, but with a few goes at it, things do seem to work.

The editing screen does hiccup and add a hard return without input, or warning, but a few deletes (depending on how fast one is typing) seems to hold it, until the next post.

Will try the "camera" icon attachment. It does appear that the pixel dimensions have been reduced, or my memory is failing.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/17/2009 4:22 PM:

but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

WFM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5)

Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5

For me, it's IE 7.0.5xxx.xxx.xxx. Will try now, and see how things go.

BTW - it seems that the "camera" icon image attachment sizes have been fairly heavily reduced. Is that my faulty memory (ain't talking RAM here), or has it been cut way back?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already lost count of the JPG images I have posted today using the camera button. Too many effects/defects to report. And with not much attention paid to my reports?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already lost count of the JPG images I have posted today using the camera button.

Claudio,

Can I take this to mean that it HAS been working for you?

I'll go back to some recent posts with screen-caps and see if they are still up.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still seeing an issue with the "camera" image uploads?

I'm not aware of any changes in sizes. It should accept images up to 2048KB. I'm attempting to include a screen shot (PNG) with this post.

screen_shot_test.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I will try right now, but as of yesterday (Nov. 23, 2009), it would still not work.

Here's an attempt:

OK, no go with a 5KB JPEG from Adobe PS CS2, non-Progressive.

I have used the lower-left Attach File, so you can see, and test that file.

Does this help diagnose the issue?

Do not hesitate to contact me via PM, or off-line (POP in Profile), for any more info. Until Black Monday, the camera icon functioned perfectly, so long as I adhered to the stated conventions. Now, it no longer works for me.

Since Black Monday, I have cleaned my browser cache (IE 7.0.5xxx) over a dozen times, and have deleted all cookies almost as many times. I have also cleaned ALL Temp Internet files at least 4 times, if that helps.

Thank you, and any help will be greatly appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the error message that I got, with that 5KB JPEG. I did not study each line, to make sure that they match 100%, but believe that they do, or are so very similar, that I did not detect any difference.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're on IE / Windows right? Could you open "regedit.exe", go to "Edit", "Find" and search for ".jpg". You should end up at the key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg". What does it say on the righ the Content Type is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the very bottom of the overview page of the Testing forum is a new widget that shows some debugging info based on the cookies in your browser. Please make sure to include that information when you have test results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Thank you for the pointer to the widget. I have never used the test forum, so it'll probably take me some exploration. Will report back on this.

Appreciated, the tip,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere+pro.jpg

image013.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

In this post, I see both images as missing.

Does this point up something on my end, or on the server-side?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

I could not find the above mentioned widget on the Test Page - Main, nor on the thread display screen, nor on the editing screen. Also, the "camera" icon is greyed out for me on the reply page.

Sorry that I am missing something here. Can you point me to what I am missing.

Thanks for helping with this issue,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/26/2009 11:05 PM:

Sorry that I am missing something here. Can you point me to what I am missing.

Go to the URL I provided, scroll down to where it reads "Debugging

informstion". Copy the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Here are the results of my tests:

Workstation

IE 7.0.5xxx, which has not been on the Adobe fora for over 3 mos. - same problem - camera icon will not attach and yields the same exact error message.

Third computer

IE 6, which has not been on the Adobe fora for over a year - same problem

IE 5, which has not been on the Adobe fora for many years, if at all - same problem

IE 3, which has never been on the Adobe fora - same problem

Laptop

Installed Google Chrome and logged-in. Camera icon works as before

While not a complete and empirical test, these results indicate that the Jive update has an issue with several versions of IE. For me, none will work with the camera icon attachment function, as did my IE 7 installations. Something in this update does not allow the camera icon to function in IE (any versions that I have. Note: no IE8, due to reported issues with some Adobe programs.)

I can use Google Chrome, but wonder what it is about IE, that Jive does not like, since the updates.

Thank you for your help, and for your patience, as I poked around the test page. I have no idea why the widget did not show initially, until I navigated from that page, and back (did not do a refresh after I posted, but upon posting the reply, the screen did refresh, as per normal, just without anything at the bottom of the page then. Note: this was with IE 7.0.5xxx.) Does Jive just dislike MS and IE? I know that many users do, but I've been using it just fine for decades.

Guess that it's Chrome for me, at least on the Adobe fora, since the update.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I duplicated Hunt's testing and get the same results.   I never use IE (spawn of the devil browser) so I did not see the camera bug before.

Worked as expected in FF and Chrome; broken in IE 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

Thanks for reporting.

I have two other observations, while using Chrome:

1.) the phantom line breaks have not happened in about 3 hours of use

2.) the issues that I had with the Block Quotes seems to also be gone

Now, it'll just take me some time and setup, to get Chrome to where I was used to having things in IE. Remember, much has been written about teaching us "old dogs" them "new tricks!"

For me a working status quo is a good thing. It appears that the latest Jive update really, really hates IE, at least through version 7.0.5.

Appreciated,

Hunt, still not comfortable with the Bookmarks in Chrome, but I'll either learn how to live with them, or will learn how to set them up to behave like IE 7.0.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/27/2009 6:13 PM:

While not a complete and empirical test, these results indicate that the Jive update has an issue with several versions of IE.

I dug up an old system with IE 7 in the office and I reproduced the

issue. Then I installed a packet sniffer on the system and did an upload

of the same file from Firefox and IE. Firefox worked, IE didn't.

What was interesting was what the packetsniffer got out of it. I

uploaded a png file which has a registered MIMe type of image/png so the

browser is supposed to upload it using image/png as the Content-Type

(the same content type that is mentioned in the error message). See the

official registry of assigned types:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/

Firefox uploaded the file with a Content-Type of image/png and the

packetsniffer was able to detect not only that, but could disect the

image itself and detect things like the time stamp and resolution. On

the other hand IE uploaded the image with a Content-Type of image/x-png.

And not only did the forum give an error, my packetsniffer was unable to

disect the upload as an image either and accept it.

I would guess that the trigger to showing this error is that Jive is

becoming more strict in the MIME types it allows. Perhaps that is

configurable and JC can allow the additional types image/x-png and

image/pjpeg (which I noticed on a jpg upload from IE). But there

undoubtedly is a bug in the IE I tested where it uploads images with an

unofficial MIME type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Thank for both taking the time to test and also for reporting your findings.

So far, the move to Chrome has gotten the mentioned things back, and the refresh rate seems to be higher. However, today is not a good one to test forum responses, due to Thanksgiving long-weekend in the US.

I appreciate your efforts and everyone's help.

Testing is still in progress. I think that when I learn Chrome and manipulate the Options/Preferences a bit, I'll just stick with this. At least other IE users should be able to benefit from this thread.

Hunt - now my browser matches my pate - Chrome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess that the trigger to showing this error is that Jive is becoming more strict in the MIME types it allows. Perhaps that is configurable and JC can allow the additional types image/x-png and image/pjpeg (which I noticed on a jpg upload from IE). But there undoubtedly is a bug in the IE I tested where it uploads images with an unofficial MIME type.

It's 'by design', for some reason:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775147(VS.85).aspx

Uploaded MIME Types

When uploading files from the client to the Web server, Windows Internet Explorer uses FindMimeFromData to determine a MIME type. Where possible, FindMimeFromData returns hard-coded values from the list of Known MIME Types rather than relying on the MIME type value associated with the file extension in the system registry. In some cases, the detected MIME type can differ from the generally accepted value for backwards compatibility, as shown in the following table:

Standard MIME Type FindMimeFromData Returns

image/jpeg image/pjpeg

image/png image/x-png

</quote>

I haven't figured out how to stop IE from doing that, but I can only say that upload worked before the upgrade from 2.5.7.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backward compatibility with a mistake Netscape made in 1995: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.images/msg/7706603e4bd1d9d4?hl=en

I hope that the words of Tom Lane carry enough weight with Adobe not to implement a band-aid for this but direct users to the Microsoft bugtracker for IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

This is just for my education on the surround nature of the problem, but I saw references to P-JPEG (Progressive). Maybe I missed the necessary references to other JPEG-types. As I never use Progressive, what am I missing, in the application of the thoughts in the linked article?

Just curious, and trying to learn more about potential problem areas. Again, it's moot to the original intent of my post, as Chrome got me up and running as before. Still, I like to be educated, as that info might relate to another problem down the line.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines