• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Available Fonts in Adobe Fora Editing?

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a few quick questions: I have a limited list of fonts available in the "Font Family" drop-down in the Adobe Forum editing screens. I count 17 in Google Chrome. Is that abbreviated list set by the JiveWare, by my choice of browser, by some other means?

Can that font list be expanded upon?

Just curious, as I have several 100 installed fonts (Win XP-Pro), and many are OTF's.

TIA,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

And I have posted several messages during this more than a year asking for a screen readable font like Verdana -which I also use, as John- instead of Arial, a bad copy of Helvetica which is almost unreadable on screen at the default size of the software. Same luck. I guess it must be an unsurmountable problem for the IT guys. Or perhaps Adobe don't give a crap about how this site looks. If the know how it looks and what it has become.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see 17 fonts using Firefox on Windows 2000.

I personally don't see any need for more fonts.  Where we need to distinguish, e.g. to display code more clearly, we can use various code boxes:

instructions how to type something

Sometimes people post in fancy fonts like this - and it is rather hard to read. I am in favor of just using the default font.

On the other hand I think it would be easy to add more fonts; give them a list of fonts or families you like to see added.

N.B. unusual fonts can only be displayed if the user has them installed on their computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the good old forums we had no font choice and nobody complained!

In here I use Verdana because it is designed for easy on-screen reading  –  whereas the default is definitely not.

Adobe's former type guru, Thomas Phinney requested Verdana be made the default when Jive came on the scene but his went the way of so many other reasonable requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I have posted several messages during this more than a year asking for a screen readable font like Verdana -which I also use, as John- instead of Arial, a bad copy of Helvetica which is almost unreadable on screen at the default size of the software. Same luck. I guess it must be an unsurmountable problem for the IT guys. Or perhaps Adobe don't give a crap about how this site looks. If the know how it looks and what it has become.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that one should limit their body text to a font with good readability. In this case, I wanted to use a script/handwriting font for a short, specific entry, and was amazed at the dearth of fonts.

Now, for the HTML-illiterate, can you give me a quick course on adding an additional font formatting, if needed? Is this something easy with a few HTML flags?

Just curious, and thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Now, for the HTML-illiterate, can you give me a quick course on adding an additional font formatting, if needed? Is this something easy with a few HTML flags?

It is actually quite easy, for example

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

And here is how it is done: add the <span>...</span> HTML tag with the font-family around the text, like this

<span style="font-family: 'Lucida Handwriting',cursive;">The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog</span>

Note, however, that 'Lucida Handwriting' is not one of the "safe web fonts" that are supported by nearly all computers and browsers.  Search Google for a list of "safe web fonts".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy enough, even for a dullard like me. Greatly appreciated.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly doubt the term "dullard" here

I would like to expand on the font-family topic a little bit.  In order to make the script-type font visible on more platforms, you can add more "font candidates" to the font-family, like this

<span style="font-family: 'Brush Script MT',Phyllis,'Lucida Handwriting',cursive;">The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog</span>

You can add fonts in there, e.g. a specific font you would like to see, followed by more common fonts.  The first in the sequence that is found on the user's platform will be used.  (Font names that contain spaces must be put in quotes.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent additional info and greatly appreciate the help. I have copied the syntax, and will test it out.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt, never too old to learn something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we are on the subject of HTML code in this forum, there are mainly two things that I occasionally use in posts, and both may be interesting for you and other forum members.

1. Do you sometimes feel the need to highlight something in a post?  It can be very useful at times.
  2. Do you want something distinguished from normal text, e.g. a parameter for a certain process or task?

The highlighting is also done with the <span> tag, with a different style element:

<span style="background-color: yellow">highlight something</span>

The second is done by using the <code> tag, like this

<code>parameter</code>

Both these would be useful additions to the forum editor, so that posters do not have to resort to HTML coding.  But of course I have no idea how difficult it is to expand the editor functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

But of course I have no idea how difficult it is to expand the editor functionality.

It would be nice to get it right first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to use Verdana myself. In fact in the CSS I have installed That what I have it the same script that tells the window to fill the screen. Example

Note I don't know the first thing about scc. this was on a website that came out just a few days after this Forum design started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too like Verdana for viewing on the Web.

It just struck me odd, that there were so few choices in my drop-down. Obviously, I have either never used it, or found what I wanted in those 17 and just never scrolled to the end.

Thanks everyone for confirming that I did not have some odd, self-inflicted limitation.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can one reset the Jive Font defalults to

some other defalult?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines