• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Avatars and Profile Picture Pop-ups

Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hover over an avatar in a discussion, I get a little popup showing bits of the poster's profile, including a picture. But it seems to be the avatar yet again - wouldn't it make more sense if the profile popup showed the profile picture? That way, the avatar does its duty of providing a quick visual indication of the poster, whereas the popup will show you what he looks like if he's put an image of himself on his profile. Using resources to load the same image twice in just about the same place on the page strikes me as daft. What do you think?

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all the pop-ups are bloody daft and probably slowing down this apology for a forum.

That's what I think!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

those are small fries. See that black rectangle at the top where it says Home/Support Forums? that one is 46kb image. The background image of these forums, the one with all the dots, that's 53kb, or how about the little cart icon at the top of the page, between Sign out and Contact, that is almost 13kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything adds up. And, whereas you can measure kb, you can't assess the cost in speed of all those extraneous little bits of code.

[Afterthought: anyone tried Chrome? ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John Joslin wrote:

[Afterthought: anyone tried Chrome? ]

Yup using it right now (actually Chromium which is the code base for Chrome). Works good on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines