Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back button doesn't function properly

Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox 3.6.12

OS X 10.6.2

If I'm on, say, page 3 of a forum and I read a post, if I hit the Back button in my browser it takes me back to page 1 rather than page 3. Super-unfriendly and annoying behavior... does this happen to anyone else?

(Why Adobe didn't just use known-great forum software like phpBB I'll never know...)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

When on a page, beyond Page 1, look near the top of the page, and choose Up to Discussions in ____ Forum. It is the second line, and appears in blue in Chrome. That should keep you on Page X. Now, if you post, you WILL end up on Page 1.

Here's a look in Chrome:

Adobe_Forum_Page.png

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When on a page, beyond Page 1, look near the top of the page, and choose Up to Discussions in ____ Forum. It is the second line, and appears in blue in Chrome. That should keep you on Page X. Now, if you post, you WILL end up on Page 1.

Here's a look in Chrome:

Adobe_Forum_Page.png

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks! Never even noticed that link before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still doesn't address the issue of the back button not working. that's one of my biggest continuing gripes. i have a mouse that has a side button programmed for back. it's almost muscle memory for me to hit that to go back. in other words, if i'm not on page one when reading in the forums, i soon am. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (forum) is the only place on the Internet where things do not work the same way as in the rest or the universe:

• random linefeeds are thrown into typed text
  • text formattings are removed after posting
  • random blank characters are inserted into URL links
  • undo does not work
  • right-click does not work
  • indention does not work
  • the 'Back' key does something completely different than what is expected
  • and probably several dozen other things that are completely out of whack with the established www norms...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I do agree. I frequent several fora, and each has different behavior with Back. If I forget which one I am in, and that "muscle memory" takes over, I end up where I do not wish to be.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a way to get around the problem with the Back button.

Say I want to read a few posts on page 2 of a forum; I read the first post, then click on the 'Up to Discussions in ...' once. This will modify the URL in the address bar to http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussions&start=30

After this I can use the Back button from every topic on that page, and it will always go to the same page 2 (start=30).  Of course the same will work on every subsequent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neat and thanks. Will give this a go!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines