• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we have 'undo' please?

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most standard keyboard shortcuts (like Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V on Windows) work just fine in the forum editor.

However, sometimes we make a mistake, e.g. deleting an entire text section.  The natural reaction is to hit undo (Ctrl+Z on Windows), but nothing happens.

This happened to me a lot since this new forum came into being 1½ years ago, and I hate that such a basic computer feature is disabled here.

Can we please have undo activated in the forum editor?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear, hear!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll "third" that request. My support for Ctrl+Z is probably due to the fact that I am error-prone.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better still, let us have Undo applied to the forum change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Your post raises an interesting issue.

I've noticed that many folks have suggested a reversion to the older way of doing things.(The forums the way they once were) Consider at this point that Adobe took the view there was an issue with the former forums platforms and something new was needed in order to address everything. So there is no going back to what once was. What once worked apparently began to fail as time passed and the user base grew exponentially.

The problem is, I don't believe I've seen anyone suggest a forum platform that will work for all products so Adobe only has to maintain a single forum platform to cover its nearly 100 or so different products and the many thousands of users simultaneously posting questions and answers.

Instead of suggesting that Adobe return to a system they felt was in need of replacement, perhaps it would be helpful if folks could suggest a forums platform that they find to be scalable and that works for all involved?

Perhaps if an acceptable plaform could be identified and supported by a majority of forum users, Adobe would consider it?

Just thinking out loud a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please stay on topic, and discuss the Jive issue somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was Undo ever a feature in the Jive incarnation of the forums?

If it wasn't, the thread is moot.

Perhaps Jochem knows and can comment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

Can we please stay on topic, and discuss the Jive issue somewhere else?

I second that, and cannot fail to notice that not all off topic posts are treated the same way,...

And whether the feature you are asking for was in these or in the fair forums or not is completely irrelevant, for it's a perfectly legitimate and reasonable request. You didn't ask for anything to be "replaced".

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason. addition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, Claudio,

I apologize. It was stronger than I.

I am sure everyone would be happy to have Ctrl+Z/Cmd+Z, and even Ctrl+Shift+Z/Cmd+Shift+Z, working; but I am equally sure that it is no more possible than the other missing/missed features.

And I am quite sure that the feature was there in the fair forums;  I believe I should have remembered if it had been missing. John would have the final word about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I am quite sure that the feature was there in the fair forums ...

Undo is an operating system function; it works in almost every software, on websites - including every forum software I know.  However, for some unknown reason, this basic functionality is disabled in the Jive forum editor.

This is not something, b.t.w., that has been disabled recently; it had been missing from the very beginning (I believe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Undo is an operating system function; it works in almost every software, on websites - including every forum software I know.  However, for some unknown reason, this basic functionality is disabled in the Jive forum editor.

Quite true, I should have said that the Undo disabling feature was absent in the fair forums.

This is not something, b.t.w., that has been disabled recently; it had been missing from the very beginning (I believe).

Our belief is strong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ wrote on 11/4/2010 2:18 AM:

Undo is an operating system function;

I am surprised that in a forum full of users of Adobe software people

are agreeing with this. Have we all forgotten how we can configure the

number of undo steps on a per application basis in many graphical editor

products? While no matter what we do, in notepad the undo history is

only one step long?

Undo is an application feature, not a feature of the operating system.

It depends on the application recognizing a consistent before and after

state and in any non-trivial application that is a surprisingly hard

thing to do. Considering the HTML consistency issues we have had in

these forums I am not at all surprised it doesn't work in the RTE (it

does work in the raw HTML editor).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an almost absolute ignorant in these matters, can I ask a naive question? Aren't the Ctrl/Cmd-Z commands functional in both platforms even with all applications closed?

I was under the impression that this discussion was specifically about these keyboard commands, not about the Undo function in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, undo works fine for me in the RTE. Let's double check that... YUP!

It works on text, but if you do something like insert a smiley, it loses the undo stack. Changing formatting on the other hand, does not mess up the undo.

I'm using FF on Mac 10.6.4.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the RTE? Have we all got one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

What's the RTE? Have we all got one?

I think so...

2010-11-05_1350.png

[RTE = Rich Text Editor]

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, the reply box.

Not much rich text capability there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, as you say, the Ctrl/Cmd - Z command is a system feature both in Win and Mac OSs. In my experience, it works almost everywhere except in these forums. I don't remember if it did in the fair forums, and I am not sure if it has ever worked here and, in my opinion, if it ever did or didn't in either is completely irrelevant for your most legitimate petition.

Unfortunately, we have already been informed that, if the command has never worked in the present version of these forums, then this whole thread is moot. So it would seem that  we are wasting our time. Once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines