• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing color for "updated"

Advisor ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed the stylish script that changes the color of the "updated" indicator in the Discussion list, from here:

http://userstyles.org/styles/16994

I was wanting to change the red to be a bit brighter, more tomato-red (it looks more like burgundy on my monitor). Don't want to get into calibration discussion, though! I've been looking at this chart to determine a better color,

http://html-color-codes.com/

but if I change the 600 to something else I get quite unexpected colors.

Could somebody set me straight on whether the color numbers in that chart should work, and that it's just a matter of changing the number in this line:

color:#600 !important;

to, say the number "300", or am I way off in left field.
Thanks much,
Sheila

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this color code is wrong. It needs to be a 6-hex digit code, like here: http://www.pagetutor.com/colorpicker/index.html
I find #FF0000 to do the trick nicely.

Edit: Another tip: In the Stylish script Full Browser Width, set the background color to #eeeeee, it's more pleasant to the eye than pure white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67 has it correct. The colors go 00 through ff (which is to say the hexadecimal equivalent of 0 through 255 of red, green, and blue with 255 being more rgb).

#f00 will work too. If both digits are the same, you're allowed to shortcut it down to one character and the browser expands it back out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, thank you both. I thought the color codes should be more than three numbers, but I didn't know about the shortcut syntax so I was trying other three-digit/letter codes and getting very odd results indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. A three digit code will work in CSS. It basically doubles the values of each digit, so #335 translates to #333355. It is a part of the CSS specification (the six digit code also works).

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't notice you said that at the end of the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick and dirty stylish for hiding the "(Updated)" and showing the adobe air icon (little red... thing)...

kinda simulates the old "little red flag" experience...

http://userstyles.org/styles/17070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not something like this? seems a bit more nonintrusive than the air icon and blends in better with the answered icons

2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

why not something like this? seems a bit more nonintrusive than the air icon and blends in better with the answered icons

The blending part I don't like.  I want something that jumps out at me, not a chameleon that disappears into the background.

So far, the red (Updated) script works best—restored back to bright red from burgundy.

That "AIR" icon is awful.  Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "AIR" icon is awful.  Sorry.

yea, but you can mod the script to load whatever you want. just edit it in stylish to replace the url with any graphic you want.

i was looking for the "little red flag" but i'm not gonna host it for everyone... that's why i chose something from adobe's site.

Message was edited by: dave milbut to include the quote...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm... try replacing

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/images/marketplace/products/icn_air.png

with

http://createpdf.adobe.com/images/Pyrite/redflag.gif

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updated to add the little red flag... whoo! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

updated to add the little red flag... whoo! 🙂

Great! All we need now are a couple of pot plants and it'll be just like home.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

erm, over on this side of the ocean, having a couple of  "pot plants" will get you arrested john! you mean "potted plants" i think... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

erm, over on this side of the ocean, having a couple of  "pot plants" will get you arrested john! you mean "potted plants" i think... 😉

Either will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yer evil mate! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

erm, over on this side of the ocean, having a couple of  "pot plants" will get you arrested john! you mean "potted plants" i think...

In this enlightened country to the North of you, one can grow "Pot" legally if one has a license to do so, (For medical use).

The problem has been that the homes that have the legal right to do so are as bad in terms of Fire Hazard as the illegal Grow Ops. Our Fire Departments are cracking down on the legal ones; As they should.

The coppers don't fret either, if one smokes a joint in public. People high on pot aren't violent as crackheads, meth-heads and drunks are.

Oops sorry, though I was in the Lounge ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<mr. anderson>there is no lounge.</mr. anderson>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

<mr. anderson>…</mr. anderson>

Had to google that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Neo> The Oracle says there is; and Morpheus said to trust her. </Neo> I hope I got that reference of yours right ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, dabe.  I'll stay with Updated in bright red, though.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

different strokes for different folks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news everyone!

EDIT: And now we're deep into personal preferences territory I can tell from the posts above, lol...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news everyone!

ah-waa? why yes, thank Pazuzu!

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines