• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing font of text body in forum posts

Mentor ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did the setting to change the font in which the body of text in Adobe forums posts end up?  I'm referring to the forums preference that allows this, not the browser's.

In two different browsers, where the settings are identical, FireFox is using what appears to be the hated Helvetica, while Safari is using my preferred Verdana.  Verdana is set in the preferences of both browsers, and I can't find the forum setting to change it.  I don't find it anywhere in Your Stuff, Preferences or anywhere else.  Where is it hiding from me?

Puzzled and doubting my soundness of mind (wisecracks tolerated, under the circumstances).

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these links...

Forum Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1021

Personalize Forums http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had checked both of those links.  Nothing there, unless buried deep inside one of the videos.  Frankly I can live with font shown rather than having to watch all the videos.

Thanks anyway.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all browsers I have tried (IE9, FF8) the default font is always Arial:

ff.PNG

I wouldn't know where to change this default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Pat.

I was not referring to the font in the Reply Editor.  I was referencing the font in which posts appear in a thread, including the initial post.

Your post was extremely helpful, though, as it has made me realize it's probably a Firefox bug.

Here are two screen shots from the very font in the Photoshop Macintosh forum:

Safari (Mac)

Safari_displays_adobeforum.jpg

Firefox (Max) seems preference settings:

Firefox_disples_adobeforums.jpg

Thanks again.  I'll investigate further)

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MYSTERY SOLVED:

It was an add-on script managed by Stilish in Firefox that was automatically changing the font to Verdana in the Adobe forums.

Thanks for your assistance, pat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that would have been a difficult thing to diagnose; fonts that display as a different font...

Schöne Grüße,

Pat [Arial]

Schöne Grüße,

Pat [Verdana]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ wrote:

Ah, that would have been a difficult thing to diagnose; fonts that display as a different font…

It was!  Thanks.

Incidntally, look how much more legible and pleasant Verdana is on screen compared to Arial, despite Verdana's ugly ß:

Schöne Grüße,

Pat [Arial]

Schöne Grüße,

Pat [Verdana]

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai, it would seem that the battle for Verdana instead of Arial is a lost one over here. There was a long thread on this, but it is forgotten by now. And I tried to revive the subject in a recent thread but apart for some attempts to ridiculize what was and is a serious proposition, nothing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why the aforementioned Firefox Stylish script is so valuable, Claudio.  (Even though I had totally forgotten I'm using it; it's that transparent.) 

@-moz-document domain("forums.adobe.com") {

body {

font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif !important;

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai, I visit several other forums where Verdana is the default font, and they are very easy to read. I always undestood that it is a very simple matter to change the text type in these forums from Arial to a font specifically designed for onscreen reading such as Verdana. I am therefore unable to understand why there seems to be no intention to do so from Adobe, and so much reluctance or indiference from participants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly I don't see the difference between the two on screen. Different strokes for different folks. 

My Font of choice in documents I create in Word is ITC Benguiat and for Excel Minion Pro Condensed. I'll have to look up that CSS script I created (with help of some one from the forum) put veranda as the first in the group. Just to see if it works and what it would look like. BTW Veranda is the default for Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, if you can't see the difference on screen between these two lines

Frankly I don't see the difference between the two on screen. Different strokes for different folks. 1lI (a one, a lower case L, and an upper case i, in Arial)

Frankly I don't see the difference between the two on screen. Different strokes for different folks. 1lI (same in Verdana),

then excuse me but I think you need glasses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I see: http://www.screencast.com/t/rkNs7NX7h

BTW I wear Glasses

Show me Where you can see a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, your screenshot shows everything in Verdana, so of course you can't see any difference between those two lines. You would have to be a wizard to notice the difference between a lower case "L" and an upper case "i" in Arial, while in Verdana they are completely different characters. You can test that in your word processor if you don't believe me...

And if you want to see the difference between the two lines I copied, then copy and paste both to your favourite word processor, and force one of them to be in Arial and the other in Verdana. Then you'll know what I have been talking about, and why you find it so easy to read messages in these forums: you are seeing everything in Verdana.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can believe you. No reason to try your test.  I just was not aware I was already setup to use veranda only. Must've done that  when I add the script to fill out the page. several years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines