• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could we please know if a thread is locked without opening it?

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Navigation in these forums is very slow even when everything is working as planned, so it's very annoying to have to open a thread to find that it has been locked. The icon of a lock, even [Locked] at the beginning of the thread title would be enough. Surely it cannot be too difficult?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a locked icon before. I have seen it. I have seen it a few times here and there but not no more (as you pointed out of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2009 Oct 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

that would be communicating ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2009 Oct 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

Claudio,

that would be communicating ... 

Hopper, you must be very brave. Using forbidden words is... well, somehow not very welcome by some people around here. Specially by those who decide which words are just not right. "Communicating"..., well, what could that concept possibly have to do at all with these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2009 Oct 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<shaking head>  I know, I know ....  what was I *thinking*? That perhaps  a forum would be used for communicating and sharing of information and <gasp> to perhaps even have some social interaction!  No, that can't be it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

<shaking head>  I know, I know ....  what was I *thinking*? That perhaps  a forum would be used for communicating and sharing of information and <gasp> to perhaps even have some social interaction!  No, that can't be it ...

No! No! No! No communication! It ist verboten!! Take your burger and go!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Navigation in these forums is very slow even when everything is working as planned, so it's very annoying to have to open a thread to find that it has been locked. The icon of a lock, even [Locked] at the beginning of the thread title would be enough. Surely it cannot be too difficult?

I think this is a perfectly valid and politely formulated question/suggestion, so I expected at least an answer. Not only it hasn't been answered, but we continue having threads locked without any indication in their titles.

I also notice that we continue reading new posters giving users directions on what to do and how to do it, while some moderators openly and repeatedly recognize that the software used for these forums in notoriously defective, and explain why we cannot expect the many reported problems to be solved in a near future.

I am disappointed.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: I had to add here a comment that I couldn't post in the obvious thread because it had been locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it *is* too much to ask.  The Banned Users thread is locked ... without notice.  It is getting worse and worse.  I hope that Adobe, as a company, can survive the bad press it's getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no reaction and no answer...

Claudio González wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I think this is a perfectly valid and politely formulated question/suggestion, so I expected at least an answer. Not only it hasn't been answered, but we continue having threads locked without any indication in their titles.

I also notice that we continue reading new posters giving users directions on what to do and how to do it, while some moderators openly and repeatedly recognize that the software used for these forums in notoriously defective, and explain why we cannot expect the many reported problems to be solved in a near future.

I am disappointed.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: I had to add here a comment that I couldn't post in the obvious thread because it had been locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't a mod once say something to the effect of this Jiveware not supporting such a basic, trivial, common sense, and helpful feature?  For a short while I think topics were being changed to say [locked] in front but I assume it gets time consuming when you're busy locking so many of them.

Just another Jive flaw to add to the list.

A response to a politely asked question is always nice but I suspect the response won't be happy news anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I was asking in a somewhat hidden way for the information to be added manually on each locked thread. And that would be very time consuming if one was very busy locking threads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... some mods have the courtesy to do that:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/519278?tstart=30

Others don't. And then they say we don't know how to behave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know, and they should be commended for that. My appeal was to those who never, or almost never, do it.

In other very active forum I frequent, every moderator that deletes a message or locks a thread leaves a one line handwritten message with his/her screen name and the reason(s) for his/her action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the last 24 hours I have deleted approximately 1500 messages. JC deleted a similar number. Before I started the Database Communication with JRun forum looked like the screenshot below:

jrun_database_communication.png

The spam in another forum is such that it is still closed while it is being cleaned up. Considering the magnitude of the spam problem we are fighting I think you find little support for a position that it is beneficial to leave a notice in place when a thread and/or message is deleted.

As to having threads marked in some way as locked, I would welcome a feature in the software to display that for those using the web interface. Your best bet is to go over to the Jive site and register an enhancement request for that. Moderator support for manually adding something to thread titles is probably sketchy. Those who support it already do it (when not made impossible by the inaccessibility of these forums on some devices). Those who don't, don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there  away you with your Current powers (not just yourself but the adobe adminstrators) impliment a Filtering system to simply prevent the spam happening. Have it Filter of specific words used in obvious spam.

Otherwise the only way to cure spam is use an authenicated NNTP Server. Or on a Secure NTTP Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem, for posts, I think that perhaps all that it would take would be to make " - this indicates when changes were made and by whom." the selected option by default. I think this would also solve the numbering and related problem left by disappearing messages. 

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: checking the text of the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Jochem, for posts, I think that perhaps all that it would take would be to make " - this indicates when changes were made and by whom." the selected option by default.

As I explained in a previous thread that won't work.

You really need to take this up with Jive if you care so much about this. The software just doesn't support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for posts, I think that perhaps all that it would take would be to make " - this indicates when changes were made and by whom." the selected option by default.

OK, I am still playing along, as the discussion seems to have moved to real world issues, or at least I think they have.

In most product fora, when a MOD does edit, or lock a thread, there is almost always a comment to that effect. It's always been similar to the "Edited by" tag line. Now, these particular fora probably get a bit less traffic than others here do. Also, even when logged in on basically an around the clock basis, I have seen scant little spam in any of them, so the work load is much less. In very high-traffic fora, this might just not be possible.

Hunt

PS - still, that little Lock icon would be helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

In most product fora, when a MOD does edit, or lock a thread, there is almost always a comment to that effect.

Yes, Hunt, you are correct.  Here, it's up to the moderator and most (note that I did not say all) don't take the time to inform the readers of deletions/edits etc. They stealthily delete posts (messing up the post counts) or remove sentences/phrases/words from a post.  When one refreshes the main forum comments page, a thread might show an update.  If one were to click on the "last post", it will take you to a post higher on the list, because it had been edited.  It's very confusing if you had read the post previously, because now something is different and you don't know how, why or who made a change. 

If they are unable to put an icon next to the thread title, a simpe [LOCKED] would be sufficient.

If they are going to edit a post they could simply put  [edited for content by {put forum host's name here}].

Apparently that seems to be too much to ask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one refreshes the main forum comments page, a thread might show an update.  If one were to click on the "last post", it will take you to a post higher on the list, because it had been edited.

Claudio,

Thank you for the clarification. I had seen some threads, new to me, with references to Last Post, and to reply counts, and just did not get the issue. Now, it's cleared up - for me at least.

Thank you,

Hunt

PS - I guess that I hang in a bunch of backwater, low-traffic fora. Had not taken notice before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

When one refreshes the main forum comments page, a thread might show an update.  If one were to click on the "last post", it will take you to a post higher on the list, because it had been edited.

Claudio,

Thank you for the clarification. I had seen some threads, new to me, with references to Last Post, and to reply counts, and just did not get the issue. Now, it's cleared up - for me at least.

Thank you,

Hunt

PS - I guess that I hang in a bunch of backwater, low-traffic fora. Had not taken notice before.

It was Hopper who wrote that, not me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that that is what I get for turning off the Threaded View.

In that case, Hopper - thanks a bunch!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry we are having so much trouble.

Shame there is no magic button we could press on Spammer that would send a signal to burn out their computer, modem and, Router.

WE need enforceable laws on the books where anyone sending blatant Spam could be subject to  amandentory $100,000 per incidnet fine , or two year prison term with no time off for good behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines