Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete Email Address

Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't U delete your own email in thread? New people don't realize that if they respond upon receiving an email

notification from the forum, that if they respond directly from their email itself, their email will appear in the forum

thread. When realizing that they should have responded to the link to the forum thread it is too late. I see no way then

to rectify this mistake. I am of the opinion that the person should be able to delete their own email address from their

own response they have made on the thread. After all, it is their email address that is at risk; I'm not asking to delete anyone else's.  Thank you for any response

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote on 9/26/2009 8:17 AM:

Why can't U delete your own email in thread?

Changing a message after it has been posted, for whatever reason, is not

unlimited. There is a time limit to changes and when other people have

acted on your message (in most cases that means replied to it) you are

blocked from changing the message as well. This is to prevent the

discontinuity that may occur from somebody changing a message that has

already been replied to. (It is not perfect, because the email

notifications are not updated, but it is better then unlimited changing.)

Presuming this is about posting messages through email, the best way to

make sure your email address isn't displayed to all is not to send it in

the first place.

Most email clients can be configured to help you prevent the inclusion

of unintended content. You could specifically for the forums create a

profile and make sure that profile doesn't have a signature or quoting

options. Or more generically, if you write your email messages in the

way recommended by the Netiquette (i.e. first quote what you are

responding to, then add your own content below that, see RFC 1855) it is

almost impossible to post unintended content because you will always

read what your email client includes first. And posting in plain text

instead of HTML helps too, since plain text is much more WYSIWYG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2009 Sep 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding to my question. That does explain the whys. In my case this was the first time I authored a

subject on Adobe.  Since editing or deleting one's email cannot be done perhaps an advisory could be included in the email notification that the user receives when someone has responded to their post. At the bottom of the email notification it says:"To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email or visit the message page:....."

Since new posters are probably not familiar with a forum's policy on deleting/editing, PRIOR, to responding by email,

maybe something to the effect could be added to the "To post a reply, etc. as: "Be aware that if you reply by email, your

name and email address will be posted on the forum thread"

That would be very helpful for new people that are unfamiliar with posting on a public forum. Just a suggestion and in my case and I think others, had I known this beforehand, I would not have replied by email.

Thanks for the suggestions in the last paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your email address is not necessarily published - check whether you have a signature automatically added to your emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I checked my profile and history I don't have it there. I know when I registered it was given of course. When I replied to a response from my email that is how it appeared in the thread. I don't understand about the "signature automatically added...." If you mean an option that would be in my email account or some option here on the forum; not in may email that I know of. I don't recall setting anything in my email account.  I wouldn't know how you would go about hiding your email address when you sent an email.  My understanding is when a poster would decide to post or respond to the Adobe forum directly from their email, then their email information would appear in the posting thread. I didn't do anything other than that.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is when a poster would decide to post or respond to the Adobe forum directly from their email, then their email information would appear in the posting thread. I didn't do anything other than that.

Now, I access the fora via my browser, so I might not see the same things that you, or others do. For me, I never see a poster's e-mail address, unless they have added it to the text, regardless of where they were posting/replying from. Now, when some access the fora via other than Web, there are often other things that appear. These are usually add-ons from the POP service providers.

Now, if one has included their e-dress in their Profile, they can easily eliminate that, but I doubt that this is what you are referring to.

My e-dress is in my Profile, and many on the product fora contact me that way. As I help test to solve their problems, it works fine and I do not have to do the munging, with the insuing corrections and changes, in the fora replies.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. When you replied to this  thread, I received an email notification correct? At the bottom of that it said I could respond my email or go to this thread. I did not respond by my email, I clicked on the thread info and opened it in a new window, logged in and so I am here. Now, if I had not done that, and responded by my just old regular plain vanilla hot mail account, my user name and email address would be here.  That is what happened the very first time I received the first response to me from the very first time I posted on the Flash Player forum. I didn't know that I could click on the link provided in my email notification and access the forum that way. My thinking was well, I received this email, so I just typed my reply to the response and emailed it. I did not go to the forum at that time, so a time to edit didn't matter, I may not have went to the forum for an hour or so.

My only question/observation/suggestion  would be perhaps an advisory about: Don't email the forum unless you don't mind your info being public.

I haven't received too many unknown emails because of this, I just delete any that I don't know anyway.

By the number of posts you have, you must post around the clock!  Don't want to take up any more of your time, appreciated your and others response.

Thanks a lot

P.S. You have to admit, the Adobe site is not the easiest site to navigate. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a link to the thread in question, we can delete your posted email address.

Michael Kazlow (forum host)

Message was edited by: Michael Kazlow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/485367?tstart=60     

Besides this thread there is one other, but I have to look for it.  Thank you so much.  I think I only did this twice before

I realized how it worked.  Thanks  again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2009 Sep 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote on 9/27/2009 5:45 AM:

*Thanks for responding. When you replied to this thread, I received an email notification correct?

If you have configured the forums to send yu a notification you should

get one, yes.

Now, if I had not done that, and responded by my just old regular plain vanilla hot mail account, my user name and email address would be here.

I am not all that familiar with Hotmail, but I don't see why that would

be the case. I am sending this by email too, just like I did send my

previous message by email. Do you see my username and my email address

anywhere?

What I think happens when you click reply in Hotmail is that it quotes

the message you received. In full. Then when you send that to the

forums, that full quote is published. But the reason it is published is

that you put it in the message body. So the next time you reply by

email, when you are typing your message, check whether there is already

something there when you start typing your message and verify that you

really want to send that too.

My only question/observation/suggestion would be perhaps an advisory about: Don't email the forum unless you don't mind your info being public.

Don't write stuff in your email message that you don't want to be

published. Everything you put in the From and To fields will be cleaned

out, but not the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten, Community Expert: With all due respect, I think you are missing the point. Certainly I am aware that

whatever one posts to a public forum is "public" and can be viewed by the world. What you seem to not understand is that I replied to the forum by email and not by going to the link to the thread that is provided in the Adobe email notification to me that "Sally" or whomever has responded to my post. Did you not read my reply to MK? Go to the link yourself and you will be able to see what I am talking about.

Let's disregard the forum for a moment. I have a personal email account and every email that I send, no matter where it goes, the recipient can view my user name and email address. Likewise every email I have ever received I can also view

the sender's user name and email address. THAT was and IS my point.

I will say this again and for the last time here, I used my email to send the reply to the forum, when I should have clicked on the link to the thread that is provided in the Adobe email notification that I receive when anyone responds to a post.

To tell me that I shouldn't write stuff in my email message that I don't want published is condescending. The point of my original post says "Delete email address", not about deleting a message.

eidnolb

P.S. Once that I understood the point I have tried to make to you and corrected the way I posted, my email information was not posted in the thread.

Message was edited by: eidnolb  To correct the initials from KM to MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote on 9/27/2009 2:51 PM:

*Jochem van Dieten, Community Expert: With all due respect, I think you are missing the point.

I do understand the point you are trying to make. I just happen to

disagree with it.

Go to the link yourself and you will be able to see what I am talking about.*

I did go there and I saw what was happening.

I will say this again and for the last time here, I used my email to send the reply to the forum, when I should have clicked on the link to the thread that is provided in the Adobe email notification that I receive when anyone responds to a post.

So what is my username and email address? Because I am sending this by

email and by your logic you should be able to see them.

The problem is not that you replied by email. The problem is how you

replied by email. You included a full copy of the original message in

your reply. That means your email address was not just in the message

headers, but also in the message body. Everything that is in your From

and in your To is correctly stripped out and not visible to others. And

that you put your own email address in the body to could very well be

intentional for all the forum software knows, so it isn't removed there.

If you don't want your email address visible, don't include it in your

message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every email that I send, no matter where it goes, the recipient can view my user name and email address.

Yes, but what you see in the forums and in email notifications is not an email message, but an extract from an email (the message body) after being processed by the forum software. If your address is not in the message body, it won't be visible to other users. Your Adobe Forums display name will be shown for the poster on the web and for the sender in email notifications.

There is no need to 'click on the link'. There are many users who use email to reply, and it's probably the normal way of doing it for them. The only reason I sometimes reply by visiting the forum on the web is to include an attachment, which can't (yet) be done via email. This reply is sent by email - can you see my address?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What I think happens when you click reply in Hotmail is that it quotes the message you received. In full. Then when you send that to the forums, that full quote is published. But the reason it is published is that you put it in the message body. So the next time you reply by email, when you are typing your message, check whether there is already something there when you start typing your message and verify that you really want to send that too.

I see this happening a lot. I'd say that other e-mail programs/servers do the full quote thing too. On some long replies, I'll see a "thanks," and then the full reply, to which the "thanks" was the reply, included.

I've not responded to anything via e-mail, even when I have my notification turned on (not often), so I do not know how Outlook handles things. I have always just clicked the link and done everything via the Web.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a time limit to changes and when other people have acted on your message (in most cases that means replied to it) you are blocked from changing the message as well. This is to prevent the discontinuity that may occur from somebody changing a message that has already been replied to. (It is not perfect, because the email notifications are not updated, but it is better then unlimited changing.)

Jochem,

In the old days, I would agree that one is limited in the time to edit a post (so long as it is not an original post). Now, it seems to be tied to the phases of the Moon, or similar. I have had replies, that had no responses posted to them, that I could edit months later. I've also had many, where the Edit was gone, and no one had yet to reply.

To date, I have yet to find the Rosetta Stone on this behavior. There are too many variables from my observations.

Two weeks ago, I spotted a post in the Encore forum (actually, it had been to one of their sub-fora, before they were all merged), that was done about the time of the forum change. There was a typo and I was able to make that change, maybe six months later. OK, on some posts, with NO replies, I go back moments later and Edit is gone.

Back in the "good old days," there was an approximately 30 mins. limit. Good, but not great. Now, it's some mystical equation, that involves a guy with a pointed hat and some arcane symbols on it. Some replies are evergreen, and some get smurfed in seconds - with zero replies to them.

Still, this is not the end of the world. If I cannot edit, when I return with a new link, or similar, I just do a new Reply and live with it. There are other forum "fish to fry."

Just some observations,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question answered and email being removed by Forum Host MK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines