• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct link to Report Abuse

Valorous Hero ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware that all threads contain a "Report Abuse" link. However is there also direct link for reporting spam/submitting additional comments? Those darned spammers are getting smarter ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Other than the direct Report Abuse function (note: it is located differently, depending on whether it's for an OP, or for a Reply), I do not know of another method. The Report Abuse function is quite good, and gets almost instant results, in most cases. It allows for various types of abuse to be reported, plus a text block to qualify the abuse.

Have you explored that function? Remember, it's in different places, depending on whether the abuse appears in an OP, or in a Reply.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean, something like this?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/877321?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I meant is there a direct URL I can click on to report abuse?

ie    http://forums.adobe.com/reportAbuseForm/

Or am I stuck using the "Report Abuse" icon at the bottom of responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I don't see much difference between the link you propose and the combination of the Report Abuse button andf the thread I mentioned, which you can bookmark...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this stage I was not proposing anything. It was just a simple yes / no question - does this option exist? If not, fine . That is just the way the site is set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the direct Report Abuse function (note: it is located differently, depending on whether it's for an OP, or for a Reply), I do not know of another method. The Report Abuse function is quite good, and gets almost instant results, in most cases. It allows for various types of abuse to be reported, plus a text block to qualify the abuse.

Have you explored that function? Remember, it's in different places, depending on whether the abuse appears in an OP, or in a Reply.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. That is all I wanted to know.  I agree the  Report Abuse function is pretty good.  Unfortunately you can only click it once. So if you forget to add a comment, and try and go back to add one, you are out of luck.  But that is not a huge issue.  As you said, overall the response to spam is very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you can only click it once. So if you forget to add a comment, and try and go back to add one, you are out of luck.

Ah, I had not thought of that. I see your point.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-==cfSearching==- wrote:

Okay. That is all I wanted to know.  I agree the  Report Abuse function is pretty good.  Unfortunately you can only click it once. So if you forget to add a comment, and try and go back to add one, you are out of luck.  But that is not a huge issue.  As you said, overall the response to spam is very good.

Well, that's what the thread I mentioned is for. We have also been told that the Report Abuse may well receive very quick attention resulting in the offendig message to be deleted, while posting in the thread the information of the spammer's profile allows administrators to block the spammer and sometimes even taking further action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It is also my understanding that the two methods comprise a "1 - 2 punch," with slightly different, and extended results. One acts on just the post, while the other acts on the offending poster's profile, and can lead to an inability to post. The latter part is very useful, with spammers. With some other types of abuse, a PM, or other contact, might come into play, to inform them of the issue.

I think that most folk, who do much reading here, use both methods - or at least should.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I think that most folk, who do much reading here, use both methods - or at least should.

That is indeed the best way.

When you do the Report Abuse button, moderators will find it in the report queue.  From there they can easily find all other posts by the same user.

When you post a user name (link) in the spam topic, the forum admin will find it and disable the spammer.  (Unfortunately mods do not have that ability, so during an ongoing spam run they can only run after the spammer and clean up their droppings, one at a time.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do the Report Abuse button, moderators will find

it in the report queue.  From there they can easily find

all other posts by the same user.

Since spammers tend to post in bulk, that is what I usually do when reporting spam. Look at the user's profile and see their recent posts. Then report each one as spam. For those that spam a lot, their messages are gone in short order and their accounts disabled.

Unfortunately, some spammers are smarter than that. A recent one signed up and then posted nothing for a few weeks, per their profile. Then they posted a single spam item and did nothing. It could just be a coincidence, but their single post remained visible a lot longer than with the bulk posters. Those usually disappear very quickly. Though eventually the single post was removed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do the same. I report abuse per post, plus list the Profile and the threads in the Spam Thread, just to make sure that all bases are covered.

Now, most spammers will post to some rather obscure forums, but then if I stumble upon them elsewhere, I try to kill them where ever.

So far, it has worked well.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while posting in the thread the information of the spammer's profile allows administrators to block the spammer and sometimes even taking further action.

Interesting, I was not aware of that.  I usually just click the spammers profile and report their messages individually (because they usually post in bulk). I will have to give that thread a try next time, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one thing I wanted to add...  If enough people (I forget the number, but if I recall correctly it's not large) all click on the Report Abuse button to report SPAM the post is supposed to disappear automatically, without human intervention.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel - Makes sense. It would certainly explain why it took longer for the "single" spam item to disappear than items that are part of a "blast". Not enough people noticed it or clicked Report Abuse. Darned crafty spammers ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noel Carboni wrote:

If enough people (I forget the number, but if I recall correctly it's not large) all click on the Report Abuse button to report SPAM the post is supposed to disappear automatically, without human intervention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forum duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forum duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines