• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Adobe know how to KISS?

Engaged ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... below is the content of a post i made in the 'help with download manager" thread...

"I don't think Adobe knows how to KISS. Whenever there's an between keeping something simple and effective or something complicated and non-fuctional, they choose the latter. Three basic things come to mind:

1/ This download manager. It's a regular screw up. Once you've validated, why can't they just let the download carry on with this ridiculous manager of theirs?

2/ The second is their installer. Don't know about CS4 for sure, but the amount of hassles people had. The forums are full of it (guess matters haven't improved with CS4)

3/ This activation of theirs. From what i gather, the only guys *not* having a problem are those it was meant to stop! Yup the ones using pirated software.(I personally know of several people who gave up trying to get their legitimate multi-copy suites activated and just downloaded and got it working... )

And now, the forums... the list however, is actually quite endless"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay,  The download manager probably makes sense when people have slow connections. There are many people still with dialup and some with very slow dsl or mobile connections for which it can make sense. It might even help with people who might have difficulty with downloading programs at all. But I'd agree that there is big difference between conception and execution.  Activation is a sore point that I've addressed before. Installers is an issue that Adobe has recognized. Adobe personnel have addressed this issue here. I believe they are hoping for incremental improvements in the installer technology over the next two versions. Personally, I don't understand how a company that can make really wonderful products can do so poorly on installation. It is the the first impression people get with their software. If Adobe spent as much time on improving the installer as they do with general feature upgrade for applications, we and they would be much happeir with their product. However, reviewers and people do not give credit for wonderful installation programs, nor do they take off as much as they should for problemsome ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeKazlow wrote:

Jay,  The download manager probably makes sense when people have slow connections. There are many people still with dialup and some with very slow dsl or mobile connections for which it can make sense. It might even help with people who might have difficulty with downloading programs at all. But I'd agree that there is big difference between conception and execution.

Michael,

Agreed... but their downloader sucks. Why not just let people use their own downloaders such as GetRight, et al. Additionally, a lot of the new browsers, such as FF have their own built in downloaders or dedicated plug ins that are far superior.

I believe they are hoping for incremental improvements in the installer technology over the next two versions. Personally, I don't understand how a company that can make really wonderful products can do so poorly on installation.

They've been struggling with this for several versions past and present... surely they should have got it right by now? CS4 - and people are still having major issues?!

And add to this their activation?! Quite a few people i know have either refused to upgrade or have rolled back and demanded a refund.

As i said... they've forgotten how to KISS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

Why not just let people use their own downloaders…

What am I missing here?  Is that something that refers only to buying whole programs through downloads?  You certainly don't need a special downloader for trial versions and updates.

At least, I've downloaded numerous trials and updates without ever needing or even being aware of the need for an "Adobe downloader"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

What am I missing here?  Is that something that refers only to buying whole programs through downloads?  You certainly don't need a special downloader for trial versions and updates.

At least, I've downloaded numerous trials and updates without ever needing or even being aware of the need for an "Adobe downloader"?

That's the way it used to be... now they have a downloader... at least for the (trial and purchased) programmes... some Akaxxxxx or the other. And it works just like the rest of Adobe's bright ideas such as activation and these new Jive A$$ forums... in other words, brilliantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ,

I downloaded the CS4 trial last year—as soon as it was available—directly from ADobe, without incident and without any "Adobe downloader."  I just clicked on downlaod and Firefox put it in my Downloads Folder.  

Same with the 11.0.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

I downloaded the CS4 trial last year—as soon as it was available—directly from ADobe, without incident and without any "Adobe downloader."  I just clicked on downlaod and Firefox put it in my Downloads Folder.  

Same with the 11.0.1 update.

Strange... in fact see this thread : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/438308?tstart=0

And i know, i had a heck of a hassle with the downloader... <shrug>

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because they have a maketing deal with ak@#$*@ downloader people and they get revenue whenever someone uses it.

Does Adobe know how to KISS?

&@$k no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently downloaded trial of Photoshop. and I had to use that downloader and have it install. On a 1mb DSL connection took four hours to download PhotoShop after downloading and installing the downloader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines