• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

E-Mail response with Prev. Ans. Repeated and Pers. Info.

Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like more people are using email response, many from their phones.  On many of these responses there is a messages at the bottom with  their name, e-mail, phone number, and address.  There is also a repeat of the previous response.  This puts user at risk of spam, makes a mess of the forum, and adds extra work for moderators to clean up.

Is there a way for the highly trained and inovative Jive programers to prevent this last bit of info from being added?

There is a line that separtates the response from the personal info and question repeat, so seems like an excellent place to put in a limiter.  If the Jive engineers are not capable of fixing the problem perhaps one of the users can write down a few lines of code to make it happen.

Disclaimer:  I hate e-mail responses as they do not get corrections, do not see the flow of responses,  and rarely give you credit for solving problem.  Also, not a programer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a result of all software companies And Hardware companies for that matter dumbing down computers so even a 3 year old can use it. And not have to learn, reasoning ability by using Computers that require you to think.

There are many people in this world that should not be within 50 miles  of touching a computer let alone using it.  (Sad to say I have a Cousin that falls in to category. He use a PC still using XP and has to spend tons of money from is Internet provider to cleanup Viruses,Tograns, Worms and all kinds of Malware. I get a call at least once a month from him for help about his computer. Makes a interesting 2 hour phone call.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is terribly unfair to ask all the mods do this all the time.

Claudio,

I agree that it would be better to have a built-in filter, or some sort, but just not sure how/if that could happen.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify:

Jive's email connector will remove signatures and quoted originals if the message complies with the RFCs and formats the section markers properly. It removes the vast majority, but some users have badly-configured mail clients that don't follow the specifications, so Jive has no way to tell where the body of the message ends. Rather than guessing and cutting off sections of legitimate replies, it lets them through and the hosts fix them when they're noticed.

If you find personal info in a message, use the Report button. That's why it's there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical Adobe solution. Labour is free around here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an "Adobe solution", it's how the software works. The alternative would be for moderators to pre-approve every message sent via email just in case there's some stray footers in there. Not gonna happen.

Claudio González wrote:

Typical Adobe solution. Labour is free around here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was forgetting that answer: that's how the software works. And if the software has bugs, bad luck. We have to accept too many "features" just because that's how the software works (and nothing can be done about it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with you here.

I don't agree at all because at the link posted by you on post # 17 which refers to post # 8 of that link had a signature of the poster which was inserted manually. The poster knew exactly what he was doing and he is not likely to learn anything from you guys here. His post#4 was edited and yet he continued to post his personal details. Does this guy sound like somebody who is interested to learn? I doubt it!!!!!

He just couldn't care less because all he is interested is to promote himself on these forums.

However, you can continue talking about this but it is a futile exercise IMHO. You guys need to move on and sort out the logging issues that blighted these forums for nearly two months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, we are just plain users like you, and cannot do anything about the login problem except complaining, same as you. And we can also voice our opinions about the "email" problem, although you think that we are wasting our time, which is probably true.

It was me, not Bill, who posted message #17. I don't know how you have determined that the poster inserted his signature manually. Even if he did, he would be a single and very unusual case. As Bill said, many newcomers are horrified when they find that they are not in a chat room but in a public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree at all because at the link posted by you on post # 17 which refers to post # 8 of that link had a signature of the poster which was inserted manually.

Mytaxsite,

I think that you might have confused me for Claudio, based on your comment (Reply to me, but listing one of Claudio's Replies). He is much smarter and better looking, than I am. We are also in different hemispheres, but he seldom holds that against me.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

I think that you might have confused me for Claudio ... He is much smarter and better looking, than I am...

From where did you get this information? I am afraid that your source may not be very reliable...

Bill Hunt wrote:

... We are also in different hemispheres, but he seldom holds that against me.

... except that sometimes it gets difficult talking to you, standing upside down...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked the same question some years ago.  The answer, basically, was that this is "not possible".  If this is because of Adobe policy, or that the developers at Jive are not so "highly trained and inovative" - I do not know.

I would certainly welcome if email signatures and headers would be stripped in replies.

On the other hand, some sort of stripping seems to be going on; we have all seen users who reply and reply, and all that ends up in the forum are completely empty posts.

So at the end it's the mods who remove email addresses and telephone numbers, and get called "arrogant" when they ask users not to post private data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines