• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit forum post still NOT fixed????????????

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I see the 'edit' post problem still exists and has NOT been fixed after what is it a couple of weeks, maybe more. Can't somebody who is in charge of the forum get something done about it? What is it with the Adobe employees, they seem to be frightened of their own shadow.

You'd almost think that Adobe is being run by a small team of 2 people, both who sleep 23 hours per day, its poor, and unacceptable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

I'm sorry to say that this is not likely to change. Too many users were abusing the Edit function, so Adobe has turned the ability to edit posts off for everyone except for ACPs, MVPs, and Adobe employees.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

IMPORTANT UPDATE
We've changed the backend configuration to now allow users that have a certain rank to edit their own posts.
This means new users won't be able to do so until they've participated in the community and reached a particular rank, which will hopefully solve the problem we were having with spammers and abusers. These users are usually brand new and have not posted any previous content.
We will monitor the situation closely to see how this change affects the community as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll move this over to the Community forum so someone who has a chance of being able to help might see it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did not write this forum software, it is rented from another company... and fixes are not always done quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say that this is not likely to change. Too many users were abusing the Edit function, so Adobe has turned the ability to edit posts off for everyone except for ACPs, MVPs, and Adobe employees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you "abuse" the ability to edit your own post?   Many forums I'm on don't allow edits to a post that has been replied-to, or they require any edits to be marked AS edits so you can see what's changed.   Other forums only allow edits for only a brief time to fix typo's, etc. 

Also, Adobe could allow edits for people logging in with their Creative Cloud subscription info - that way you at least know who's being abusive. So I think this problem is solvable without such draconian measures.

One problem this has created is cluttering up the forums with multiple posts because an OP thinks of something he wants to add or clarify, or people ask for more information and he can't just go back and add it to the original post, so he has to make new "addendum" post. which appears farther down-thread so people seeing the original don't get the benefit of the additional information before trying to asnswer the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that not being able to edit one's post is a big pain point for many.  And since there's no mention of it in the Community Feedback Tracker (aka To Do list), it's neither a bug nor a feature request.  Which means it was likely switched off in response to some other problem. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which means it was likely switched off in response to some other problem.

I'm confused.  What exactly is an ACP?  I thought you guys have some sort of relationship with Adobe.    But it sounds like you're as much in the dark as the rest of us, based on your qualifier "likely".   But LinSims, above, who's also an ACP, seems to have some inside infomation because they said "Too many users were abusing the Edit function, so Adobe has turned the ability to edit posts ".   So just for clarification, if an ACP says something, is that the official voice of Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a moderator here who can help me? Ridiculous answer, 99% of all forums have edit functin. Who moderates these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon can you please unmark this  " correct answer" I'm OP, I don't consider the issue or post resolved, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe employee marked the correct answer. 

Like it or not, this matter is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks Nancy, but not resolved, is that John/ maybe he got Adoble brownie points... Not resolved at all. Ridiculous, you know it and stated it. No one No one agrees with this and causing a lot grief for a lot of people on these forums. The abuse is this policy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or Len sims who is Len sims?  PLease unmark resolved correct. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Nancy, way more than 60%, I'd say 95% easy allow edits.. Only other on I know is Wordpress, also pathetic. The Abuse exuse, is ridiculous.  Its abusive not to allow edits.  Note they have no examples of abuse. How does someone abuse by editing their own post? Ridiculous on it's face.

Pattern of bad service and bad choices  from Adobe.

This cause a lot of  grief for people or better: their customers.

Analogy with email does not stand up at all. With email, by force email goes to servers and no option.  95% plus of forums have edit, becuase it achievable, and 99% of users prefer it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll ping the Adobe Staff member who has the most knowledge on this.  Owing to our time differences   we'll have to wait & see if she responds.

@Sil.C 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tag, @Nancy OShea!
LinSim's answer above is correct, that's why it's marked as such.

To sum this up: all users have the option to report any content to the moderators, then moderators have a few options on what to do to the report if deemed actionable. One of the most received reports is abuse and promotional content, but not all of it is bad enough to ban a user permanently. So we'd edit the post to remove the abusive content, lock the thread if necessary and leave it be.  

Because of the ability to edit your own post, a lot of people that had content removed due to abuse/spam would go back and add the abuse again, undoing the edits from the moderator. 
This is why this option was recently removed. If you need to add anything to the post, you can reply to it or make a new post and report the old one as duplicate, so a moderator can delete it.
Hope this answers your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sil.C 

"so a moderator can delete it"

Moderators can't delete post as far as I'm aware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Employee moderators can, that's what I meant 🙂
Only employees deal with Abuse Reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Silvia, OP,

thanks for the cogent explanation. I could not even venture to guess on that as 95% of all forums allow edits, but anyway, per the issue postinhg, I sent a PM. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User 

"Moderators can't delete post as far as I'm aware"

Non-staff mods cannot delete posts but we can move them out of public view (Holding).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT UPDATE
We've changed the backend configuration to now allow users that have a certain rank to edit their own posts.
This means new users won't be able to do so until they've participated in the community and reached a particular rank, which will hopefully solve the problem we were having with spammers and abusers. These users are usually brand new and have not posted any previous content.
We will monitor the situation closely to see how this change affects the community as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest making this a general announcement or featured post so that more people can see it. With luck, users such as @osgood_ and @WolfShade will see it and come back, since I suspect that both are at a level they'd have editing enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats good progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a big thanks from me, super!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks  Osgood, if you can remove even that tiny links would be  perfect as  still goes to my site. Best, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines