• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing One's Own Replies

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this on a limited basis over the years, but it seems to have gotten worse very lately.

The problem is that one makes a Reply to a thread, and then wishes to edit that Reply, sometimes in just moments, but it is not possilbe. The Edit button is not there.

I understand that if another has Replied to my Reply, the Edit button goes away, or is supposed to. In these recent cases, there are no Replies, even hours later, but I keep loosing the ability to edit some of my posts, just like there WERE Replies to the post.

Going back, this happened to only a thread, or two, over several months, but now it's happened to me about 5 times on the product forums - mostly in the Premiere hierarchy. Some posts CAN be edited, but some cannot.

This is not a timing thing, that I can tell, as the Edit button has been missing from my posts of some hours ago, or some that were JUST posted. It seems to be intermittent, but is very frustrating.

FWIW - I'm running updated Chrome, though in the past, when it happened, I was on IE 7.

Just curious if there is maintenance undergoing, that is changing how some things work.

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

John, your comments make me think about a feature request for Preview My Message that would let you see what it looks like (formatting) and give you a chance to fix/change things before hitting send. I don't know if that is available, but will ask about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2011 Jul 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

Man, is this double posting BS ever gonna get fixed?! 

You can edit your own message if nobody has replied to the message after you.  The reason you can't edit after somebody has already replied is to stop someone editing the message when another person has replied back based on the original message.  It makes no sense to have a reply on a message that has already been altered in material respect.  In fact the second person who replies to the original message looks stupid because nobody can see what is being replied to unless the original quote is available in the replied message.

That is my 2 pence worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that what Jim is referring to is the somewhat frequent "An Error Has Occurred" that keeps one from posting their Reply.

If they use the Back button, and hit Post Reply, it oftens works the second time, but with a double-post.

When this has happened to me (seems cyclical, coming in waves, and then disappearing for some days), I use Back, then Copy everything in my Reply, just in case. After that is safely in the Clipboard, I hit Cancel, rather than Post Reply, and usually see that my Reply WAS posted. If not, I start over, but have the material in the Clipboard.

Had not seen this issue for several weeks, but saw it 3 times on July 07.

Now, if I missed the problem, just ignore the above.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, your both wrong.  I'm referring to being able to edit my message, clicking the Update button, and none of my changes show up.  I have to edit it twice.

It's a PITA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that is what I referred to above as a "timing thing," Normally, my edits take, but I have been too quick in a few instances. Maybe I type as slowly as I speak?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone.  Sometimes it takes 3 or more tries!  And I also think it has to do vaguely with timing.

We have hope for the upcoming forum software update.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sometimes it takes 3 or more tries!

Just got that.  If anyone from Adobe is reading, I'm beggin' you; Please fix this ASAP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that is what I referred to above as a "timing thing,"

And I also think it has to do vaguely with timing.

I am more inclined to believe that it depends on the current wind direction, at the exact time and place of the poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Yep, that is what I referred to above as a "timing thing,"

And I also think it has to do vaguely with timing.

I am more inclined to believe that it depends on the current wind direction, at the exact time and place of the poster.

I agree, mainly because that wind hasn't blown around here for some time now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I agree, mainly because that wind hasn't blown around here for some time now...

Perhaps this explains why some of your messages are garbled and some not depending on whether the wind is a good one or not!  Could it because humans have started using Wind to generate energy so there isn't enough to come your way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

understand that if another has Replied to my Reply, the Edit button goes away, or is supposed to. In these recent cases, there are no Replies, even hours later, but I keep loosing the ability to edit some of my posts, just like there WERE Replies to the post.

I have observed that after you have posted your reply and provided the message is still in your window (if you haven't closed your browser or moved to something else) then you can edit your own reply even if somebody has already replied after your post.  I just checked this in DW forum and surprisingly it worked.  Either I was lucky (to win the jackpot here) or it is just one of the features unknown to mankind!

It's a good idea to try on the test forum using two different usernames (and using two different browsers to log the two users)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

understand that if another has Replied to my Reply, the Edit button goes away, or is supposed to. In these recent cases, there are no Replies, even hours later, but I keep loosing the ability to edit some of my posts, just like there WERE Replies to the post.

I have observed that after you have posted your reply and provided the message is still in your window (if you haven't closed your browser or moved to something else) then you can edit your own reply even if somebody has already replied after your post.  I just checked this in DW forum and surprisingly it worked.  Either I was lucky (to win the jackpot here) or it is just one of the features unknown to mankind!

It's a good idea to try on the test forum using two different usernames (and using two different browsers to log the two users)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understood your message the first time. But I am curious: how did you manage to post message #34 two minutes before message #33?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I think I understood your message the first time. But I am curious: how did you manage to post message #34 two minutes before message #33?

I posted the first one and just to check the editing features I posted the same message again.  Then I went back to the first one to correct a small typo and voila! I did it despite the fact I had posted a subsequent reply effectively like someone else has posted.  When you edit a message, the time is revised to the current one!

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

you can edit your own reply even if somebody has already replied after your post.

In your test, did the someboday reply specifically to YOUR post?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

-Noel

Yes.  This is the link:

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3795391>

Scroll down and you will see garywpaul posted a message after I had posted something.  Then I decided to change a spelling error and the time is now 3.18 AM while Garry's meesage has a time of: 3:15AM but shown after mines.  I know I was before him.

The times are GMT so your time will be different but 3 minutes different will remain.  Claudio has spotted this in his message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

DWILCOX01 wrote:

you can edit your own reply even if somebody has already replied after your post.

-Noel

Correction to my previous message to you.  Gary's post WAS NOT SPECIFIC to mine!  Does this make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes all the difference in the world, yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

I thought any post after yours automatically blocks you from editing your previous post.  I don't see EDIT button in any of my posts in this thread even if not everybody has replied to me SPECIFICALLY.

Did you visit the link I gave in which the timings are curiously different?  Even in this thread one of my messages is before the second one (3 minutes) and Claudio picked it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

John Hawkinson wrote:

I thought any post after yours automatically blocks you from editing your previous post.  I don't see EDIT button in any of my posts in this thread even if not everybody has replied to me SPECIFICALLY.

Did you visit the link I gave in which the timings are curiously different?  Even in this thread one of my messages is before the second one (3 minutes) and Claudio picked it up.

No, only messages in direct reply to your message. Gary's one wasn't:

Not direct.jpg

Messages numbers 7, 26, 35, 36, 37, 41 and 43 in this thread have been in direct response to messages of yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01:

I have observed that after you have posted your reply and provided

the message is still in your window (ir you haven't closed your

browser or moved to something else) then you can edit your own reply

even if somebody has already replied after your post.  I just

No, this isn't the case. You will get an error.

Unless, of course, as Noel points out, the next person didn't reply to

your specific post, but replied to another. In which case there was no race at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

No, this isn't the case. You will get an error.

Unless, of course, as Noel points out, the next person didn't reply to

your specific post, but replied to another. In which case there was no race at all.

No errors at all.  See my message below for the link where this is demonstrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're probably seeing a special case of out of sync servers,

then. Because I know I've had it happen that I started editing a post

when my post was last, and an intervening post came in and by

the time I hit the Update button, I got an error.

Of course, things may also have newly broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines