• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits ruining posts times and order?

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few minutes ago, I edited a not very recent message of mine that hadn't received a direct answer. To my surprise, the original date and time of posting of my message were changed to those of edition, leading to the absurd that all subsequent messages became older than my edited post, as this remained in its place. What's more, until a new message was posted in that thread, my edited post became the "Last post" for the software, appearing as such in the list of topics. And I was taken to it, not to the last post, if I clicked on the "time of posting" shown in the list, or the Last Post button at the top of any page of the thread.

In my opinion, not a very clever or useful new feature.

And I was kicked out of the forums when I was finishing writing this message

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424191?tstart=0

The operative word is Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not very different from Web Crossing. If you updated an old message in Web Crossing it, too, got moved to the top of the list and appeared as if it was a new message. But in Web Crossing you could only edit within 20 minutes. Now you can edit until someone replies. So it wasn't as rampant and was only very noticeable if an administrator went in and edited a old message.  John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you say, in the old forums this may have been hardly noticeable because of the short time for editing messages. Which brings in an interesting question: is the latitude here good/desirable?

I ask because I have seen several (or many? I don't know) people using the Reply button in the last posted message instead of that in the post they are answering. Which implies that there may be many later messages related with a given post, which remains nevertheless as "unanswered" and therefore editable. So the author of that message will be able to modify it many posts later in such a way that, willingly or unwillingly, at least some intermediate messages appear as hard to understad or simply foolish.

Maybe the 20 minutes limit wasn't so bad after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was 30 minutes. It was relatively short, but wasn't bad though. At least SM/FF's Spell check would work in it if you remembered  something to correct in time enough. One difference in this system regardless of whether the post has been posted two minutes or 2 hrs, the first time it directly replied to, you can not correct with the old system you had a Flat time limit even if someone replied as long as that 20-30 minute time had not elapsed,  you could make corrections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was 30 minutes. I just reply to the last post nearly all the time, because I've tried threaded view and didn't like it, so I'm just treating these forums like the old ones and tacking my replies on the end. If necessary I quote a snippet or put @xyz to clarify. One strange thing is that a host looked at a post of mine because it had been reported, but didn't edit it and sent me a message to say 'no problem'. The time on that post was changed to the time it was looked at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not in favour of restrictions generally, but leaving the edit window open indefinitely, and edits leaving no trace, can make a mockery of a thread.

I can't say it bothers me much but is is a(nother) flaw in the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

I am not in favour of restrictions generally, but leaving the edit window open indefinitely, and edits leaving no trace, can make a mockery of a thread.

I can't say it bothers me much but is is a(nother) flaw in the system.

When you do edits there is a little window just below with either you name or User name  you can add a comment to it and click a check mark and it will add that information to the editted version.

IF I edit imediately I don't use it. on the otherhand, If its been several hours or next day I do tick the check box.

I actually like it except you can edit to correct mispellings or the like after someone has commented to your post directly.

And this has been edited adding this line.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

When you do edits there is a little window just below with either you name or User name  you can add a comment to it and click a check mark and it will add that information to the editted version.

do you have to state the obvious every single time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually like it except you can edit to correct mispellings or the like after someone has commented to your post directly.

Of course you have to know they are there. I expect you meant 'can't'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Of course you have to know they are there. I expect you meant 'can't'.

Yep your right. I meaant can't not can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ, did you know that it is not compulsory to reply to every post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

PJ, did you know that it is not compulsory to reply to every post?

Yes

I don't reply to every post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

When you do edits there is a little window just below with either you name or User name  you can add a comment to it and click a check mark and it will add that information to the edited version.

I bet you a plug nickel many people that edit their post don't even realize, or pay attention to the box is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

When you do edits there is a little window just below with either you name or User name  you can add a comment to it and click a check mark and it will add that information to the edited version.

I bet you a plug nickel many people that edit their post don't even realize, or pay attention to the box is there.

i'll bet you there are a lot of people who don't pay attention to what's going on around them, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dave milbut wrote:

i'll bet you there are a lot of people who don't pay attention to what's going on around them, too.

How true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leaving the edit window open indefinitely, and edits leaving no trace, can make a mockery of a thread.

yes. it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just remembered that Dorothy had already noticed this same behaviour:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1888944#1888944

(and see also my post #190 in that same thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines