Exit

Email notifications: deleted or moved posts

Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this notification from the Indesign forum this morning:

Date: 07 August 2009 03:53

orums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments]. The mod there collects bugs and this one sounds juicy.

Since I didn't get notification of my reply, I visited the forum to see what had happened, and there's no sign of either post. I suppose the OP might have deleted it - although he might have waited a few more hours before changing his mind. Or a mod might have done so since it was OT for the forum it was posted in. Either way, it's a frustrating business for someone who goes to the trouble of responding, and I don't think it would be too difficult for the forum to bounce a message like mine straight away with a note that the message I was responding to has been deleted. If it's been moved, then the response should follow it.

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work. One for the 'post by email FAQ', then - MIME, not Uuencode. I'll change my settings now.

Later...

Now I see why I changed to Uuencode. My client seems not to allow longer lines than 132 characters for MIME, and I needed 700 for an unbroken line of JS. Now I've discovered that Jive won't allow lines longer than 80 characters anyway, it doesn't matter anyway. Heigh ho.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for the weird part.

When an email with an invalid character arrives, the system will drop a number of subsequent characters. I have seen numbers between 200 and 500. If the message length is less then  the number of characters Jive tries to drop, the message is never posted and the message is bounced to the sender after the Postfix queue timeout. If the message is longer then the number of characters Jive tries to drop, the message is posted on every iteration and bounced in the end. Yet if the message is too long, it is never posted again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines