Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enhancement request: allow you to mark your own reply as the answer

May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old forum you could mark your own answer as correct. Now that is not possible, presumably because of the reward system (would be silly if you could reward yourself.) However, it is true that sometimes you solve your own problem and post your findings, and it would be good for reference if you could mark it as the answer.

New forums rock BTW. Some of the layout is a bit unfamiliar but the feature set is great.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abeall wrote:

In the old forum you could mark your own answer as correct.

Most certainly not in the old, genuine Adobe forums powered by WebCrossing.  No thread was ever allowed to be marked answered by anybody

Maybe you're referencing the old Macromedia forums acquired by Adobe?

We have been attempting to get the marking system here overturned and abolished.  The truth is that often neither the thread originator nor anyone else really know if any solution or workaround is the correct answer or even the best answer.   Someone can very often come up with a better answer.

Marking a thread "answered" is a monumentally bad idea under any circumstance.

The points system is absurd, silly and just plain wrong too.  Don't get me started on that one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy large text batman.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to, obviously.

I think the ability to mark an issue as resolved is perfectly logical. We have bug systems that do this, don't we?

But I suspect I don't want to get in any sort of argument with you, so please start your own thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work that way.  Just because you start a thread, you don't own it.  You don't get to decide who replies to your posts or how. 

There's also no need to start a new thread on this subject.  We beat it to death during the preview period and there must be at least a few threads hanging around from before and after that.

In many of the Creative Suites programs, especially in Photoshop, there are multiple ways of achieving the same thing.  Marking a reply to a thread as the correct answer has the undesirable effect of validating one workaround that may not be optimal.  Bad for the poster, and bad for future readers of the thread.

In addition, newbies are very seldom in a position to discern whether an answer is correct or not.

The powers that be here are well aware of this and they've promised to bring it up with the Jive Software folks.  The sentiment against allowing the marking of answers as correct is virtually unanimous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abeall wrote:

Holy large text batman.

Nah, not really. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abeall wrote:

I think the ability to mark an issue as resolved is perfectly logical. We have bug systems that do this, don't we?

"Bug systems" are very different from the questions posed by creative designers, illustrators, typographers, photographers, art directors and other creative types that use the Adobe creative flagship applications: Photoshop, Camera Raw, Illustrator, InDesign, Adobe Type, etc.

Perhaps you are as unfamiliar with the Photoshop, Bridge, Camera Raw, Color Management, Illustrator, InDesign, Photography, Typographer and Type forums I regularly frequent, as I am with the forums on your ex-Macromedia side, which I never visit.

Many of us had doubts about the wisdom of merging the two sets of forums, which has resulted in what we have now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

abeall wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm referring to, obviously.

It was obvious to me. Believe it or not, all ye webx folks, Jive truly is a grand improvement over the old FuseTalk forums! I don't think anybody could even strive to write one worse than Fusetalk - at least as it was implemented for the MM forums. (But they DID support NNTP - sort of.)

This is not a bug tracking system. And even if it were, no bug tracker I know of allows just anybody to mark bugs as fixed/solved/answered. Haven't you been amazed yet at which replies are getting marked as "Answered" in some threads? Whoa! kglad is now a three-blobber! Maybe it doesn't happen where you hang out, but I have seen some odd "Answers" where I go (Forum Comments excluded).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its a great idea to be able to mark your own questions answered. That way I could boost my points total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Block the points and the red blobs with AdBlockPlus, Buko.  Out of sight, out of mind.

I have blocked points, red blobs, number of posts, stars, avatars and all such junk.  Never even think about them anymore.

Adobe-Forums_-Photoshop-CS4-and-Mac-10.5.6.jpg

and

Adobe-Forums_-Forum_-Photoshop-Macintosh.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you *can* mark your own question as answered. There's a link at the top just under the orange 'Possibly answered'. No points are awarded.

answered.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP won't see that on this thread because it's not designated as a question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kath, I hadn't noticed that. I suppose it's not *quite* what I meant because it doesn't specify what post contained the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines