• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FF add-on for saving postings if unexpected logout

Advisor ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread discussing the agonies of being unexpectedly logged out in the middle of making a (usually long)  forum posting, I mentioned a Wish List item of some sort of a script that would preserve form content (i.e. postings here) as we're entering it, so that if/when we get logged out before doing "submit", our breathless prose isn't lost forever. Dave suggested there might be something like that using a GreaseMonkey script.

Lo and behold, there is a Firefox add-on called Lazarus that does exactly this.

http://lazarus.interclue.com/index.html

Normally I'd try this out before suggesting it, but two things make testing a bit difficult:

1) the logouts don't happen often enough (to me, at least) to be able to test it very much, and

2) it turns out Lazarus is by the makers of Interclue, another FF addon that I already use

So, if there's anybody out there who would like to test this, please report back whether it works for you, and I'll do the same.

And, last but not least, I recently had the sudden logout while posting happen in a completely different website forum, one that was using vBulletin. So maybe this problem is more widespread than just being a Jive issue.

Sheila

** Interclue  http://interclue.com/   is a "link previewer" which when you hover over a URL will popup a thumbnail image of the link's content. Makes for much faster surfing. In addition, you can highlight some of the text in the preview and click one button to have the text and the URL sent to your e-mail program, all ready to send. Saves a kazillion clicks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I use Graphite too, I was trying to KISS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i love this one:

1.jpg

please, for the love of gob! you don't give a shiete about dropping all my hard entered text when you force log me out in the middle of a post, WHY do i have to confirm when i initiate the action (in this case a web page back button click) myself?!!

poor! poor! poor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They put that one is specially for Phillip (Sorry PJ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

They put that one is specially for Phillip (Sorry PJ).

It's:

They put that one in specially for Phillip (Sorry PJ).

If I get signed out in the middle of posting. That message doesn't come up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I don't beat you up too much for typos, we all make them - not in your league of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kath-H wrote:

That's why I don't beat you up too much for typos, we all make them - not in your league of course

Thanks. I was teasing a little, anyway.

I get knocked most of the time what ends up as typos. So I thought, I could make fun as well, in spirit meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

But it can be easy enough as it is to hit the wrong thing,

I can see accidentally clicking on the close button if you are going for the minimize button but, accidentally clicking it instead of the large "post" button at the bottom of your browser?

For real?

Yes for real. If your consentrating on the te writting and not paying attention. I have done it. Not often. But I have done it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

But it can be easy enough as it is to hit the wrong thing, so I don't use the Graphite Format.

…and yet, you manage to hit all the wrong things and say all the wrong things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the matter in hand.

Who needs add-ons?

Rather than loading down the software with even more functionality to go wrong, if you intend to compose a long message, just compose it in a text editor of your choice, check it and paste it into the reply box at a moment when you are not logged out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines