• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum Formatting Glitch - Inline Italics

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using IE9 whenever I embed italicized words in a sentence I see them jam against the following word.

Do these words seem spaced properly to you or do the italicized words seem jammed against the words that follow?

Do these words seem spaced properly to you or do the italicized words seem jammed against the words that follow?

This is a basic formatting glitch - possibly having to do with the font choice - that should never be seen in this millenium from a company that actually does graphics and even makes fonts.

Here's a screen grab of what I see:

Jammed.jpg

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow-on, one has to wonder why when composing a post the Editor lists the font as Arial, but it ultimately gets changed.

If one actually goes into the HTML and FORCES the font to something else, note what happens to the spacing...

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks perfectly fine to me:

it.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

views fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Looks perfectly fine to me

Both of you:  Mac or PC, and which browser?

I'm on IE9 on Windows.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks Fine for me. I use MacBook Pro 17", and SeaMonkey/FireFox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Since IE9 is the current browser on the current Windows OS, this leads me to wonder...

• Did anyone actually test the proposed forum changes on a PC before putting them online?

• Did the private beta testers actually report anything?

• Did the forum implementers actually pay attention to anything that was reported?

What is the time pressure to put updates to the web forum software online before it is fully debugged?

I'm sorry for being critical, but basic broken things like this showing up in one of the most popular browsers on the planet should embarrass the hell out of Adobe.

Edit:  Make that TWO of the most popular browsers.  This is captured from FireFox 12.0 on Windows:

ItalicsSpacingProblemFirefox.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox/Mac:

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Claudio.  So you're seeing it too.

It's clear to me we're seeing different fonts, and they both have the problem!

This magnified animated comparison illustrates the difference between what Claudio and I are seeing quite plainly. Ignoring rendering engine font smoothing and pixel positioning differences, note that the italics slant is different and there's a significant difference in the shape of the lower case e.

Since the problem is showing with the AdobeCleanRegular font I am displaying, and presumably it's somehow a Mac variant of that font for you, but NOT showing with Verdana (as I illustrated in post 2 above), I think we can assume it's the fault of the AdobeCleanRegular font.

So...

What is going to be done about this?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Verdana?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all for it.  Or Arial.  Touché, by the way! 

I don't think I'm up to changing every post I type to Verdana by hand, though, especially since the Advanced Editor link is missing from the reply panel.  But just for you I changed this one! 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, what I meant is that it's up to Adobe/Jive to take such a simple step as changing the default typeface to Verdana. But of course this will never happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Pat Willener wrote:

Looks perfectly fine to me

Both of you:  Mac or PC, and which browser?

I'm on IE9 on Windows.

My "perfectly fine" comment was when using Waterfox 12 on Windows 7.

Since you are on IE9, I opened this topic with IE9: it looks the same awful way as your initial screenshot.

Just another reason not to use IE...

(To explain my last comment above: I do web application development, among other things.  I develop & test exclusively on Firefox/Waterfox.  One of the users of my software insists on using IE; naturally nothing works as expected.  I would have to develop everything twice if it should work on both browser types.  I do actually have some code in place for the most important parts:

if (MSIE)... else...;

But it's simply impossible to do that for every line of the code!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Just another reason not to use IE...

IE is not the culprit, because I see the same thing in Firefox.  Does that mean I (and those who are also seeing this problem) somehow have gotten a bogus copy of the AdobeCleanRegular font?  I don't know.  I don't even see Adobe Clean in my list of fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts.

Pat, it's pretty clear you're not looking at the same font at all when you're not seeing the problem.  Note that the descender on the lower-case y is supposed to be slightly curved for example.  Yours is straight.

It would be nice to know whether this is being looked into.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I need to say that on another machine with Firefox 12 on Windows XP, I see the same font problem as Noel does.  I don't know why I do not see it on this Windows 7 computer.

Then, maybe someone can explain this to me: I thought that I could only see fonts on websites if these fonts are actually installed on my computer.  That's why (I thought) a web designer specifies a series of choice fonts or families in the font or style tag.

Is that not so any more?  Where does that Adobe Clean font coming from?  I certainly do not have it installed on any of my systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I understand now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One has to wonder... With "hundreds of servers located across North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia", is the exact same font being delivered by each one?   Before you assume "of course it is", keep in mind we've seen plenty of problems with this very forum software delivering different things to different people. 

I'm not even convinced it's delivering the same CSS to different people.

The plain and simple observable fact is that different fonts are showing on the screen for different people.

I don't mean to pressure anyone unduely, but this is not a trivial issue - why aren't we hearing from the Adobe folks on this?  Does someone somewhere think that forcing the use of a font that's this flawed is okay, just because it has Adobe in the name and somehow it works out okay on some browsers?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, it seems that you are seeing a different font in your first post. Look at your lowercase "L" that might be mistaken for an uppercase" I"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, let me make it bigger so the children doing the web programming can see more easily.

It's still broken.

I think I'm done with Adobe.com for a while.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Broken.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines