• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

forum software

Engaged ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get some forum software which allows you to quote somebody.  You know - like every civilized bulletin board on the internet.

You need to be able to quote somebody in order to give comments the obvious context and background they have - this is important for internet communication.  And internet communication is a big part of the value of this software.  So, let's get it working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum software is the devil we know.

I shudder to think what we may have to go through with a new release.

Here's hoping the bugs will be as easily worked-around as with this one.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Here's hoping the bugs will be as easily worked-around as with this one.

-Noel

No, please, not as with this one. Hopefully, as with the previous version, in which bugs were fixed in days, or weeks at the most...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

No, please, not as with this one. Hopefully, as with the previous version, in which bugs were fixed in days, or weeks at the most...

It's worth remembering that the single largest factor in the last upgrade was to combine a diverse user base and present a common forum platform for ALL Adobe products. Certainly when Claudio was using whatever the last incarnation was, there was a smaller user base that would be impacted with possible bug fixes. Not to mention that as a very general rule, when something is smaller, it is more nimble and more easily managed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's also good to remember that many of us expressed very clearly our opposition to a common forum platform for ALL Adobe products, precisely because the coming problems were foreseeable. Fortunately, registration in the Adobe site and the Forums site were separated after implementing that common platform...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about the current problems, which are easily worked around...  A bit more editing when an extra line break is inserted, a refresh if the editor does not come up.

People constantly make out like this thing is simply awful, and that's just not the case.  We're all interacting with one another using this forum.  People are getting information transferred, and things done.  It's not even too slow any more.

Could it be better?  Sure.  Could it be worse?  You know it baby.  THAT's what I'm worried about.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel

What you are missing is context. There was much gnashing of teeth and overall displeasure expressed at the time the common forums platform we see today was introduced. It sounds silly, but many of the old experts were so displeased with the new platform that they either elected to leave or were banished by Adobe for bad behavior after the new implementation.

I see and understand both sides. I see where if you are accustomed to interacting in a specific way, it's upsetting to be forced to adapt to a new way. Then again, I see Adobe's side. A single forums platform has to be easier for them to maintain than four, five or who knows how many platforms they had to manage. After all, it seems Adobe purchases other companies like most of us purchase groceries. So I understand that it's likely simpler from their standpoint to only have to manage one single forum platform.

My own guess is that they will stay with the folks that provided Jive. But it will be a newer version. Not that I know anything or have inside information. I don't. It just seems logical to me because they would likely have a smoother upgrade path than would be encountered by using a totally different company and platform.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

My own guess is that they will stay with the folks that provided Jive. But it will be a newer version. Not that I know anything or have inside information. I don't. It just seems logical to me because they would likely have a smoother upgrade path than would be encountered by using a totally different company and platform.

Cheers... Rick

I would hope theyget as far away from Jive as possible. we have been religated to to the 2.x version since day one. Yeton their main site they are up to 4.x possibly 5.x by now. Adobe should have held their feet to the first and evry time there was an incremental change in the software they use a at Jive headquarters. It should have been implimented here at the same time.  We should have had parity. Instead Adobe has sat in a chair twidling there thumbs, waiting on the good graces of Jive to do the right thing.

We see where that has gotten us. "Nothing" Not a D*&^ thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should have held their feet to the first and evry time there was an incremental change in the software they use a at Jive headquarters

you mean like i get every new version of photoshop for free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, and that's a real ironic thing there. Adobe is in the software business as are the folks they licensed the forum software from.

The irony here is how many versions behind we are with forum updates.

On the other hand, I'm sure Adobe wants everyone to automagickally update to the latest version of their own products you are using.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference between Photos

op and Forum software. The contract for the Forum software

should have specified  they would maintain the

software for the life of the product. Which includes any in

cremental updates as they become available

If they were going to give one shot then abandon. Then the software should not have been chosen.  Plain and simple.

Since for all intents and purposes these forums are the only real support for products. And if the people expect support can't get it for inability to use proper foums then they lose customers. If they lose customers they lose money.  So it would be in their best interest to keep the forums humming.  Their reputation is down lower than Intuit's already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Noel

What you are missing is context.

I wasn't involved with gnashing of teeth, but it occurs to me to ask what does that really have to do with the forum today?  Could it be that those who would stomp off over changes to the mechanics of how they interact are not just not that desirable here anyway?  People who care more about the substance of the material, as I believe those of us here now do, seem preferable.

People occasionally complain about things as they are - it's healthy to seek improvement - and sometimes we overemphasize things, but yet here we are actually communicating openly with one another.  It really does work.  We may find using it mildly frustrating, and occasionally flaky, but what in this world ISN'T like that?  This is reality.

Personally I prefer to help folks with Photoshop things, learning a thing or two in the process myself - and frankly I'm just not being blocked from doing that.  People actually can post, the spam isn't bad, moderators do their things pretty well, information changes hands...  I'm clearly not feeling the frustration some are.

We should always strive for improvement, but let's not forget there is good in what we've already got.  Being overly negative doesn't strike me as helpful (this is not directed at anyone in particular).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care what is used so long as it works, is updated as soon as a new version is out. And we don't have to just put up with bugs  because the powers that be just slough it off and say Oh, the will fuss for a while then they will just get use to it.

You should never, have to get use to sorry software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that those who would stomp off over changes to the mechanics of how they interact are not just not that desirable here anyway?

nope. pretty sure that's not it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the

re are plent

y of things they could fixed and should have been fixed 6 w

eeks after the software was installed.

we need to keep the sign in separte. (don't mess with) A

nd get rid of this Jive Clearspace crap we now have. use something similar to what Apple uses. Or even wht the currentlly use in the Officeformac newsgroups (formerly Mactopia).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also not having the ability to use colors in emph

asizing words or italic/Bold/
Underline/ strike through that no longer work, or using the style menu to increase or decrease size f text.

Or having to use a work around to tended the width and length of the typing window to full width and height.  Just a simple change in code to all to float instead of having a preset size. Even myself as dumb as I am can figure that out in my own website.

There are tons of things that are wrong. But we have gotten so accustomed to them being that way we no longer notice them,

It like driving a car with the drivers side door off After you drive it that way for a couple years, you don't notice it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Personally, I have no clue whether the things you say are broken are even able to be fixed by Adobe. Maybe they can.

However, Adobe is using sofware it purchased from another company. I guess I consider that to my own use of perhaps Acrobat or Photoshop or Dreamweaver. Maybe it drives me mad that a certain menu behaves (or doesn't) in the way I like. I'm at a total loss to be able to change it as Adobe controls that realm. I might imagine the same holds true for software Adobe purchases.

I'm not saying what we have is just the bomb. There are things about it that drive me crazy too. The random line breaks as you are typing will frustrate the snot out of you.

The thing is, regardless of the platform, there will be folks that love it or hate it. While I'm sure the apple stuff you spoke of works for you, I'd be willing to bet that there will be lots of folks that will dislike it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not saying either mentioned are perfect. In the Apple Forum they recently updated and because the system merged UserID's; I can no longer use my regular User ID to get into forums. Otherwise they work perfect. And the Officeformacg groups have an infuriating error that comes up every so often  where say forum Cache error.  to clear it you clear Browser cahe and restart and it come back.

But both don

't have the problem with proken lines, or no formatting working and the other things we have to 'get' use to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

And it's also good to remember that many of us expressed very clearly our opposition to a common forum platform for ALL Adobe products

Very few people expressed their opposition to a common platform. People just expressed their opposition against this platform. (Which they did about 3 months after the decision was made.)

Fortunately, registration in the Adobe site and the Forums site were separated after implementing that common platform...

That is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

And it's also good to remember that many of us expressed very clearly our opposition to a common forum platform for ALL Adobe products

Very few people expressed their opposition to a common platform. People just expressed their opposition against this platform. (Which they did about 3 months after the decision was made.)

As far as I remember, they began complaining from the start. But I agree in that your memory may be better than mine...

Fortunately, registration in the Adobe site and the Forums site were separated after implementing that common platform...

That is not correct.

Well, at least now we are not automatically logged in the Adobe site when accessing the Forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Claudio González wrote:

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

As far as I remember, they began complaining from the start. But I agree in that your memory may be better than mine...

Correction. We opposed to the idea of merging the forums with the Adobe Store.

That is not correct.

Well, at least now we are not automatically logged in the Adobe site when accessing the Forums...

Another correction. As I had created a separate Adobe Store account, yersterday I had the silly idea if I could register in the Store using the data of my Forums accoun. I found that I could, but when I restarted my computer today and came in here, I found that I had been logged out for the first time in many months. And when I logged in, I also found that I had been logged in the Store as well, something thaty hadn't happened in many months.

This only happens in the particular combination that I used for my test: Firefox/Mac OS X (latest versions). Safari and Explorer in Win 7 have not been affected. And, quite frankly, I don't dare to start playing with cookies and the like in mu Mac; I don't like the idea of been taken back to having to register several times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Those of us taking part in the discussions in the later years of the fair forums, and helping the best we could during the nightmare of the forum changes that were rolled back, made very clear what we meant about the ways the new proposed/planned  forums seemed to appear and work.

We did that whenever we had the opportunity, in other words, as soon as anything was made known, here in this forum.

There was no hesitation, and it was by no means hindsight opposition.

Some of us that were, are no longer, here.

What we asked for was by no means limited to a matter of appearances.

There is a clear correlation between form and function, and that was discussed in depth.

Captiv8r wrote:

There was much gnashing of teeth and overall displeasure expressed at the time the common forums platform we see today was introduced. It sounds silly, but many of the old experts were so displeased with the new platform that they either elected to leave or were banished by Adobe for bad behavior after the new implementation.

If anything must be said about bad behaviour, it may be mentioned that after many years of our making an effort and caring about the forums, and the ways of the forums, some of us genuinely felt offended/insulted/ridiculed by some new posters who had been absent in the previous discussions but started posting strongly in favour of the the new forum ways and rather rudely against the opponents to it.

That, in my opinion, was the/a main cause of despair, felt strongly by some among us, ultimately resulting in leaving and to banning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote on 11/05/24 21:46:

Those of us taking part in the discussions in the later years of the fair forums, and helping the best we could during the nightmare of the forum changes that were rolled back, made very clear what we meant about the ways the new proposed/planned forums seemed to appear and work.

Sure. But that is something else as the opposition to hosting all forums

on a common platform that Claudio mentions. There were very few people

who felt that it was a good idea to keep the Macromedia, Adobe,

InterAkt, Scene7 etc. etc. etc. forums on separate systems.

We did that whenever we had the opportunity, in other words, as soon as anything was made known, here in this forum.

By the time the move became public knowledge the decision was months old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the time the move became public knowledge the decision was months old.

I believe it has been mentioned before, but thank you for (re)stating it, Jochem.

And I believe that was another cause for the despair I mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not that everyone objected unifyin

g the interface. It was That it work as it should. Took months to get the sign in problem cured (though some still have problems).

Issues such as you see in this post hasn't been addressed, (maybe not even acknowledged by Adobe)

The removal of attachments all at once because They don't have adequate spam Software. And styles, and color for words using different fonts, most formatting doesn't work all stripped away because of spam problems. Barracuda Firewall software could have been installed for the Spam control instead of killing features. I'm sure there are hundreds of other things that you could probably come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "Jive Software's Clearspace ® 2.5.16" certainly has it's share of errors, but I do agree with one comment, in that I am able to read and post

A newer version with fewer bugs would certainly be nice... as long as that newer version does not cause the servers to "overload" and stop working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines