• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gender Confusion?

LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been seeing more user avatars than usual that seem to be of the wrong gender given the user ID.  For example, a poster with a male sounding username used the avatar below.  Call me closed-minded, but this avatar seems female to me:

NotMaleIcon.png

I'm not prejudiced about gender identity, not in the least.  I am not critical of men with long hair or women with short hair - more power to them.  And I'm certainly not criticizing any user's choice of avatar.

I've seen several that seemed wrong in the other direction as well recently - male looking icons with usernames that were clearly female.  These users were all new users.

What I'm wondering, since I'm sensing an increase in the number of icons that seem to identify the wrong gender, is whether there might be a forum software glitch that may be automatically assigning avatars from the canned set to new users incorrectly.

Have you noticed this?  Or am I just being overly sensitive? 

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ideal thing is until you can enter your Picture and have it approved (takes a silly 48 hours before you can use it). Just use a Generic avatar.

Women don't have to use chest up shot. Just a simply head shot is fine.  That way, you can show how pretty/handsome you are or in my case, stop an alien in his tracks.  there are too few choices . And its simply nonsense to take 48 hours to approve a jpeg or PNG shot. I agree 24 hours should be enough to detect any nastiness any way. Also I have another beef the avatars should be twice as large as they are. Even if you have a decent avatar, by the time its compressed to correct size, there is no detail left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is any specific time delay for an Avatar picture to be approved... it all depends on how many Moderators are online at any given time to review and approve or reject the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't changed mine often but when I have uploaded a new Avatar Picture It was always the third day after submission before I could use it.

Original there was no delay then they saw a few Bugs come in using jpeg extensions. They originally posted a note that it could take up to 48 hours or more to verify an avatar . Curious though there is no delay for you profile picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avatars can only be approved by forum admins, not moderators.  No idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Avatars can only be approved by forum admins, not moderators.  No idea why.

Gee... and here I have been approving Avatars ever since I was made a Mod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Moderators approve profile picks, not avatars. Many people use the same pic for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Maybe there are mods and supermods; I myself have never seen an avatar in the mod queue; just profile images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right... I looked when one popped up this morning... says "New Profile Image" not Avatar... my mistake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

John T Smith wrote:

Maybe there are mods and supermods; I myself have never seen an avatar in the mod queue; just profile images.

Maybe it's the MOD Squad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2014 Jul 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, others,

I have had profile photos > images approved in minutes. Unfortunately, it seems that there is something wrong in the setup (and no instructions) so it seems impossible to get the colours right, and setting a size is pure guesswork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Maybe it's the MOD Squad

Oh, Wow! Haven't thought about my velvet bellbottom pants in Decades!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

The ideal thing is until you can enter your Picture and have it approved (takes a silly 48 hours before you can use it…

Take a look at the avatars in this thread, Phil.  Yours is the only one that's a photo of the user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I prefer to show myself warts and all. I prefer not to hide behind some symbol. All the pre-made avatar work fine. Its only when you upload a picture (I usually try to use png if possible) that you run into the 48 hr issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks aren't "hiding", Phil.  Their much larger photo usually appears on their Profile page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked from time to time. Most don't have photo setup in profile either. But hey "that okay" too.

If your on the Internet you have no privacy. Pictures don't make a difference one way or or another as is the practice of using handles or fake or nicknames (also reason I use my real name). If your Tech Savvy enough you find out anything about anybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me the avatar looks me generic.  Although not my choice I do see long haired men of all ages, some even with pony tails.  The 3 long haired avatars on the end seem more feminine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my point isn't so much that this particular graphic looks feminine as the large number I've been seeing that seem wrong.  I won't go into any specific details.

I haven't signed up for a new Adobe ID any time in recent history.  I wonder whether maybe one of the avatars is being assigned by default, perhaps by a gender field the user has entered, and the order of the graphics might have changed without a corresponding change to the code?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use a muppet and the problem is solved.  Of course you must have a thick skin to not be affected by people calling you a muppet.  Yours sincerely has a very thick skin and there is no chance of it becoming thin in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But always beware the muppet wearing a Gi (dobok). 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I have also wondered from time to time.

It seems that there are 4 he(ish) and 4 she(ish) images (the 3 balls and the spanner mostly leaning towards the former too, to maybe make it 8).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob, for the on-topic thoughts.  It's just a curiosity I guess.  My only reason for posting was to highlight the remote possibility of a bug where some kind of avatar auto-selection is being done inappropriately.  I know that if I joined a forum, filled out a profile, then had the forum assign an avatar of the wrong gender I'd find that odd.  I'm sure Adobe would like peoples' first experiences here to be pleasant (though they're not very good at accomplishing it).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Thanks, Jacob, for the on-topic thoughts.  It's just a curiosity I guess.  My only reason for posting was to highlight the remote possibility of a bug where some kind of avatar auto-selection is being done inappropriately.  I know that if I joined a forum, filled out a profile, then had the forum assign an avatar of the wrong gender I'd find that odd.  I'm sure Adobe would like peoples' first experiences here to be pleasant (though they're not very good at accomplishing it).

-Noel

It's Not Adobe corporate. They could care less if these forums exist or not. I'd be very surprised if the knew of of their existence. It only the efforts of the people in charge of the forums at Adobe (not Jive), that the forums work as well as they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not become a green alien like this one:

little-green-man.png

or this one:

aliens_for_peace.png

Aliens are unisex as I understand it.  How they procreate is something I have never understood yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aliens are unisex as I understand it.  How they procreate is something I have never understood yet.

Telepathically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines