Going down the drain...

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums seem to get worse every da

y and nothing is done about it, like the automatic

carriage returns, but now they have surpassed themselves,

content is no longer displayed, you get a blank message, but when editing that message the content is there.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/529916?tstart=0

http://www.millcon.nl/Harm/nothing.jpg

When is something done about this crappy software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm Millaard wrote on 12/3/2009 12:44 AM:

content is no longer displayed, you get a blank message, but when editing that message the content is there.

I reported that to Jive on Nov. 8. They refuse to acknowledge the

report. I can only presume that means it is not a bug but a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be

time to cross over to the software used by DVInfo

.net whi

ch always works without the carriage returns and shows all content.

Jive 'features' I can easily live without. Jive is aboslutely sh*t if they can't solve this. Is there no way to go back to what we had two years ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting it escalated....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seeing if the text works here:

To give credit where credit is due: This was not written by myself. I have only edited parts of it.

I found this on the internet, but it was such a great article, that I wanted to draw your attention to it. Credits go to Chad. Thanks for all the effort you put into this.

What is overclocking?

Overclocking is a process of making various components in a computer to go faster than their stock speeds. So if you buy a processor (lets say an i7-920 2.66 GHz) and make it go faster (lets say 3.6 GHz), that can be deemed as overclocking.

HALT! Do not proceed any further until you have read this:

(EDIT: Truncated message to save scrolling)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody explain how you got the complete text (I did not

check it exactly, but it looks OK to me) and when clicking

on the original post you get a blank as in my attached screenshot? I don't get it.

This Jive software sure is moody...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see the symptoms either.  I see your post (original) in its full glory.

What browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see the full post in the link provided using Firefox 3.7a1pre (Minefield).

I heartily recommend not using IE for...well, anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

I generally avoid using IE as well. Unfortunately, you will encounter sites from time to time that simply don't work well on Firefox and shine on IE. That's where the Firefox add in helps. You right-click a page and choose view this page in IE.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You right-click a page and choose view this page in IE.

That's how I caught a virus once.  Firefox and the added protections I have would not allow the virus in.  But the site didn't work either.  So I did as described and the damn virus came in.  Forced a complete wipe and rebuild to get rid of it.

If you find a site that doesn't work on the standards compliant Firefox, navigate away from it and tell the owner he needs to recode it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find a site that doesn't work on the standards compliant Firefox, navigate away from it and tell the owner he needs to recode it properly.

I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm -- Jive software IS absolute sh*t, there's no question about that!!!  Past time to start looking for the next generation of forum software, because this isn't getting better, it's getting worse over time.  That is just absolutely astonishing, isn't it?

JSS1138 wrote:

You right-click a page and choose view this page in IE.

That's how I caught a virus once.  Firefox and the added protections I have would not allow the virus in.  But the site didn't work either.  So I did as described and the damn virus came in.  Forced a complete wipe and rebuild to get rid of it.

I seriously doubt Firefox is actually fully standards compliant - if it is, it must be something new (first time hearing that claim).  And "would not allow the virus in": probably more like "the virus wouldn't function correctly since it was targeted for IE".    That phenomenon will change if FF ever takes the majority share of users from IE.  If you really want security via rarity, use Opera (or maybe Chrome).

Not that I'm a fan of IE...

BTW, tip - Google Chrome seems to work half decent in this rubbish Jiveware, oddly enough.  It's a painless install and very lightweight browser - give it a try if this crapware from Jive is really giving you fits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury,

Until today, Chrome did correct many of my issues. Something changed, but I have yet to find what the new issues are.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did was copy/paste your text.

And now when I look at your original message I see the full text. Earlier today I was using a PC. I don't remember if I was using IE or Firefox. Right now I'm using a Mac with Firefox and all looks well.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

I was able to see the full post, and I think that I was still on IE 7 then. Haven't looked on Chrome, but that has gotten rid of the phantom line-breaks and I can once more attach via the "camera" icon. Now, I just have to learn Chrome, but that keeps me off the streets, out of the pool halls and hopefully out of trouble.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW, I linked to that article (as I do with most of the equipment articles) in some other fora. Hope that all can see it completely, when they navigate to it. So far, I have not gotten any complaints about incomplete pages, or busted links. If I do, I'll share them with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera icon attachments should work on any browser now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to test in the test forum The other

day I could use Camera in Test forum. I'll let you no in

few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>

I am going to test in the test forum The other day I could use Camera in Test forum.

>

The camera icon has never worked (for me on IE7, at any rate) in the Testing forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2027565

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in testing see the following:

SeaMonkeypicture001.png

SeaMonkeypicture002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shots look like the camera icon isn't even active! That wasn't the issue. The issue was that if you clicked in the camera icon

and uploaded a JPG or PNG file from IE you would get an error that it wasn't a supported file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try it here in this thread in this forum. The Test forum might not be set up to allow images. In the meantime, I will go check the permissions for the Test forum.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated the Testing forum to allow images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated the Testing forum to allow images.

Now I'm truly miffed... Does it really depend on who asks?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2027565

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! Never saw that message from June.

If you run across any other forums where it is grayed out let me know.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! Never saw that message from June.

So how come it got archived? I can't see that it was an any less legitimate request six months ago than it is today, and there are at least 500 older threads that haven't been archived...

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines