Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help, I've lost my identity!

Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2010 Apr 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is most disconcerting!

I'm usually this account http://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria_Bampton-i0XtJJ but today I've woken up as this one http://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria_Bampton!

I've tried the log in log out routine in the FAQ.  Could someone please kick me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria_Bampton wrote:

Well this is most disconcerting!

I'm usually this account http://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria_Bampton-i0XtJJ but today I've woken up as this one http://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria_Bampton!

I've tried the log in log out routine in the FAQ.  Could someone please kick me?

Would the real Victoria-Bampton Please up.

There are tons of people on the forums that would love to have your identity Problem Usually is backwards for them They use their real name then suddenly have code numbers attached.

Maybe that's the fix for them sign in with code numbers and let the system remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  I know, it's really quite strange.  I've got my right name still, but all my posts, points, PM's, photos and everything else are now with a strange name.  Obviously I do want the Victoria Bampton or Victoria_Bampton name, rather than Victoria_Bampton-i0XtJ... or at least to be able to sign in as Victoria_Bampton-i0XtJ so I can change it back to a proper name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria,

Welcome to the wonderful and exciting dynamic world of the Adobe fora. Every day is an adventure! One would almost believe that we are all "shape-shifters," as we morph into other entities, and seem to do so randomly. I'm guessing that there is a grizzled old wizard in a tower somewhere, with flowing robes, a pointed hat, and maybe a cauldron that looks like a mirror. On a whim, the wizard waves a wand, and we magically become someone, or something else. Laughter rings down from the tower.

This has happened to many. The changes seem to be random, though one of my shape-changes did appear to be related to a Jive software update, or at least coincidental to it. First change was with the forum changeover, when a screen name from many years before, one that had never been used, surfaced. All attempts to change that failed, as every choice that I attempted to use, had been taken? OK, live with it, I thought, and I did for about a year. One day, at about the time of the software update - POOF! I became one of those screen names, which had been denied me. OK, live with it, I thought. Replied to a thread on a user getting tons of e-mails, with some tips on where to turn off e-mail notifications - a good deed, or so I thought. POOF!, I suddenly starting getting 1,000's of e-mail notifications, and ALL of my options were OFF. There were for every post in every product forum, that I had ever read. As suddenly as they started, they ended - but now I was someone else. Along the way, the Adobe fora believed me to by yet another person, with 20+ posts and 0 points, and still insists that I am that person randomly. Often, I catch that the forum software has sneaked my alter-ego into play, but sometimes he materializes and I miss his presence for a post, or two. Log-out, log-in, and I'm back to one of my "accepted" identities, at least for a bit, until the software makes the determination that I really should be WAHunt3.

Why does this happen? There are several theories, from deep conspiracies, to someone at Adobe just having fun with us.

I try to keep the tenant of "just living with it," but some days it gets really tiring and frustrating. I have given up trying to rectify anything. So long as it works most of the time, I do not wish to temp fate. I also avoid any thread regarding e-mails, as I have learned my lesson - no good deed goes unpunished.

Good luck, and maybe some day we can all be, who we wish to be, and have no interference from the forum software.

Hunt, aka the_wine_snob, WAHunt3 and Bill Hunt--8tj97d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I had this bright idea that maybe if I assigned my weird name to my user account, it'd fix it.  It didn't.  My weird name just got weirder.  It's now Victoria_Bampton-i0XtJJ-WFxfM4.  I never thought I'd be so attached to my name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go take a nap. When you wake up, the sun will shine, birds will be singing and maybe your name will be back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, just wait for the next forum update, and see what happens.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2010 Apr 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thank you everyone for the helpful encouragement!  I'm hoping it'll get sorted sooner than that, as I already have a backlog of threads to catch up with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, JC should be able to give a kick to your accounts, which is usually all it takes to get problems such as yours solved. Unfortunately, you won't find him around here on weekends, although if he happens to be at a place with Internet connection, he usually takes one or two quick looks at what's happening here.

Be patient until Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of kickin with his foot he needs t use a two by four and swing it like a bat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it Monday there yet?  I can lend JC some steel toe capped shoes if it'll help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never kick you. But I did kick the server and your account. Please let us know if things are back to expected now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm home!  Happy happy days!  Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Victoria,

Like the avatar better now too!

Glad that it worked out for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines