• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you delete a message that you have posted?

May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho wdoes one delete a message that they have posted to a forum.  The problem beiong that my message has now made google and I want it out of there, so I need to remorve it from the forum.

Kind regards

Julie Thompson

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unsure whether you can.

But withdrawing the post from Adobe forums, wouldn't help withdrawing from Google.

Once picked up from Google, Yahoo and all the other serach engines it there for all posterity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.... once it's been picked up by Google, it's there...

You can edit your post here though and delete content but i don't think you, yourself, can delete the post itself.However, you could try sending a message to the moderators and asking them to delete it from these forums... but as for Google, etc., once it's there it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

you could try sending a message to the moderators and asking them to delete it.

Yes you can try but I found that it helps if you mail them a $20 Starbucks coffee gift certificate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Yes you can try but I found that it helps if you mail them a $20 Starbucks coffee gift certificate.

Heck with that... I just give people the url to my paypal account.

Seriously, there is seldom a need to close or delete things unless someone inadvertantly posted personal information or something like that. But, once it's out there, it's not possible for us to do much about it, other than, perhaps, removing it from the forum archives. But it really is too late by then anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

jhabrix wrote:

you could try sending a message to the moderators and asking them to delete it.

What, don't points count for anything anymore?!

<Dave Milbut - surely you have a duck-&-run animgif that I could use here>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing about a public forum they are public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that but my problem is that I am about to go live with a new

website, and when someone does a search on my website name, they are also

going to pickup me asking for help at a forum. If it was me assisting

somebody it is a totally different story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JulieThompsonaus wrote:

I realize that but my problem is that I am about to go live with a new

website, and when someone does a search on my website name, they are also

going to pickup me asking for help at a forum.

Fact of life: Everybody has questions and needs some help now and then. We all have moments when we forget the simplest of things. So we ask. No big deal.

Your one little question is but a very tiny drop in a very large ocean; no need to worry about it.

If I had a penny for every time I saw extraordinarily rudimentary questions from people who REALLY ought to know better...people who claim to use  [Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/QuarkXPress/Dreamweaver/name-any-pro-level-application] every day, people who have M.A. degrees in graphic arts, who hold down well-paying, high-profile jobs, who ought to know that the answer they want could be found in the Help files or by Googling in under a minute, people who ask time and time again how to perform the simplest of functions in their money-maker application...

...well, I've lost track, but it'd be one whompin' big pile of pennies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the only appropriate response to this is by Joe from the sitcom News Radio:

"Dude, you can't take stuff back off the internet. That's like trying to take pee back out of a pool!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how will they ever know it's you? Julie Thompson is hardly a unique name. google returns almost 13 million hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not my personal name that concerns me but the search on the name

"webdesignbythebay"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, i see. well, like others have said, there's nothing you can do once it's "on the internet".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we need to pay more attention as to what we post?

Luckily there are people who will alert Adobe to personal information but that does not really help when google gets there first. So ultimately it boils down to don't post information that you don't want everyone to know. You think that would be common knowledge in this day and age.

don't take personal offense Julie, this is for all the other people who would make the same mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've learnt my lesson( from my first post) and now I'll be more careful.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JulieThompsonaus wrote:

Its not my personal name that concerns me but the search on the name

"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Oooooooops!   You've just added another Google hit pointing to this thread.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines