Exit

How to edit posts in Adobe's Forums...

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. Click the Edit button....

... Edit your post....

... At this point the smart poster selects all and copies....

... Click the Update button.....

... scower in frustration that your post has not updated....

... Click the Edit button a second time....

...Retype your edits, unless you are a smart poster, then simply select all and Paste....

...Click the Update button again....

...Sigh in relief that your post has been updated, but wonder why you must edit twice every time you wish to edit a post....

Things have been this way for quite a while. I've reported it before, still happens every single time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain.

See also:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/838494?tstart=0

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I feel your pain.

See also:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/838494?tstart=0

-Noel

I don't know what pain you are talking about but can you edit the posts in these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I can't.

Yes, of course I can, unless my post has been answered.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: Testing edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither can I.  I thought I was able to some months ago but since Noel told me a few days ago I tried and I don't have the button to edit anything.  It could be I am black-listed because of my very straight forward, no-nonsense language, but at least there should be a facility to edit something.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notice this part of my message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

No I didn't see that part of your message.  It came a few minutes late.  So you can edit until somebody replies to it.  So this is what the OP is talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

... So you can edit until somebody replies to it.  So this is what the OP is talking about.

No. There have been several reports of people who can only edit a message if they do it twice. Fortunately, I don't seem to have this problem. So far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't make any difference to me what for um I am in; unless someone has answered your post while your trying to update a post  I can edit.

if someone happens to post a reply, while your editing a post, your edit will not go through.

In my case Trying to post to begin with sometimes it takes a minute to 5 minutes before the edit window completely load so you can post a Reply.

I have started to post a reply that had no replies and by the time the reply window came up and typed my reply there was at least two-five replies.

This has even happened on my brand new MacBook Pro with 2.8 Ghz i7 Processor, and 8 GB  DDR3 1067 MB System RAM.

Sometimes I feel as though I could walk from Va to California before this Clear Space system responds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit my posts before someone replies after it. But I must edit it twice for the edits to take.

I'm unable to edit posts if someone has posted after me, that's not a problem.

The fact that it takes 2 edits to correct a post is annoying. It's also slow.. so it's possible to miss the edit because someone has replied after your first edit, but before your second edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

I can edit my posts before someone replies after it. But I must edit it twice for the edits to take.

Likewise, most of the time.

I think the faster you complete the edit, the less likely the edit is to "take" the first time.

I've even had it take 3 times total.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I've even had it take 3 times total.

Yes, three times, more often than not.  I think it is a security feature to check if you really mean to edit your original post.

I always copy the edited text before clicking the Update button.  Fortunately I do not have to edit my posts all that often...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is a relatively new thing.  I won't say nothing's changed here on my workstation - it has; certainly I've updated software, etc., but I virtually never saw the need to edit more than once more than a few months ago.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Actually, it looks like it depends on which forum you are working on.  I checked on DW forum and I have the EDIT button even if somebody has already replied after my message.

So this is intriguing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

As you can see from this post on, I encountered it almost a month ago, and there seems/seemed to be a speed aspect:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3599523#3599523

I have not seen it since; as you can see, there have been a few other strangenesses replacing it for me. As mentioned occesionally, some of us are luckier than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jacob, what one sees in these forums seems to be a mixture of many things, one of them luck. And it would seem that, in this particular instance, I am luckier than you (it's usually the other way round). I haven't experienced so far the double posting for edits. If you -or anyone else- want to see the results of my tests, they are in here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3648385#3648385

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

And it would seem that, in this particular instance, I am luckier than you (it's usually the other way round).

As I said, I only experienced the strange editing issue back then, about a month ago. And it has more been a week since the posting error occurred.

So I feel lucky now, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another factor is no doubt the user's choice of web browser.

I'll make an educated guess that the Jive programmers prefer the FireFox browser for their own use.  That's based on seeing that the forum seems to work a little better in FireFox than in all the others.

Given that there's over half a megabyte of script loaded just to edit a post (for non-geeks, that's reaaally complex) it's no real wonder there's not perfect consistency.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I think that my results suggest that this particular "feature" is not browser or platform dependent. Maybe there are other factors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I agree with you.  Not 100% dependent at least.

Never did I say the browser was the only factor.  It's just one of many things that makes the job of a web implementer a headache.

Honestly, I'm starting to think timing is the biggest factor.  Faster computer, faster internet connection, faster user - more likelihood that the edit will be lost.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not that easy. My tests included editing immediately after posting, and doing it on purpose, so there was almost no delay. They also included 3 of the most popular browsers, and Mac and Win platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used these browsers and forum operational response is no different:

Safari

Seamonkey

Firefox 3

Firefox 4

Camino

Opera

OmniWeb

iCab

Google Chrome

No difference, stillslow to load

still slow to draw repply boxes

Still Slow period

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, and do you have to double post edits in all of them (the subject of this thread)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been losing the first edit almost every time lately.  VERY frustrating, especially after having to refresh the page in order to get into the editor in the first place.  If anything, I'd say it's getting gradually WORSE.  Clearing cache does not help.

However, when I tried the same operations over on the Testing forum, I lost no edits in 6 tries.  I haven't had that success rate in real forums in 2 months.

Maybe updated code has been loaded over in the Testing forum?  Maybe it has to do with other people actively posting to the same forum?

Something's definitely different over there than in the Photoshop Windows forum where I generally hang out.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further info...  Every edit I've done today has stuck.

Someone fixed something?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines