• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I know this is the wrong forum, but… (Mac question)

Mentor ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is the wrong forum, but…

Can anyone enlighten me?

How did a folder named just "Adobe", containing only something called "Acrobat.com.app"), end up in my root Applications folder?

Double clicking on "Acrobat.com.app" launches an installer that wants to install something called "AIR".  What is that and what is it needed for?

What forum should I be posting this in?

A global search and searches in the Acrobat Macintosh forum were not helpful.

Can I just delete that Adobe folder or ignore it?  It has identical Creation and Modified dates of January 15, 2010 17:56, which raises more questions than it answers.

Any input will be appreciated.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

I recommend Wikipedia as a source of an easily understandable overview about what any product or technology is or does.  In the case of AIR:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_air

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote on 10/2/2010 6:12 AM:

How did a folder named just "Adobe", containing only something called "Acrobat.com.app"

What forum should I be posting this in?

Ask about Acrobat.com.app in the Acrobat.com forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend Wikipedia as a source of an easily understandable overview about what any product or technology is or does.  In the case of AIR:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_air

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is bad terminology.

Acrobat.com and Photoshop.com are Internet-based applications, not to be confused with Acrobat and Photoshop installed on the user's machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all who replied.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acresofgreen wrote:

…In the case of AIR:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_air

Thank you much.  That's where the answer to the mystery was:

Adobe AIR was included with all downloaded installations of Adobe Reader 9 (released in July, 2008), with no option for exclusion either in the download or in the installation. As of August 2010, Adobe still bundles Adobe AIR (along with the application Acrobat.com) with the Adobe Reader 9.3 download, with no option for exclusion, and the installation file for Adobe Reader 9.3 still installs Adobe AIR without user permission.

Shame on Adobe!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe AIR was included with all downloaded installations of Adobe Reader 9 (released in July, 2008), with no option for exclusion either in the download or in the installation. As of August 2010, Adobe still bundles Adobe AIR (along with the application Acrobat.com) with the Adobe Reader 9.3 download, with no option for exclusion, and the installation file for Adobe Reader 9.3 still installs Adobe AIR without user permission.

That is actually not quite true.  Adobe Reader 9.0 came with two installers: one bundled with Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR (AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe, 34302 KB), the other one without any bundled software (AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe, 25772 KB).

Reader 9.1 continued that tradition, but with the naming reversed (Std bundled, the other one not).

Reader versions 9.2 and 9.3 do no longer come bundled with Acrobat.com or Adobe AIR.

P.S. what I wrote above is about the Windows version; I assume that the Mac versions are the same.

P.P.S.  I don't know why my QUOTE above appears as a CODE section in the final post.  (It does show as a QUOTE in the editor.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

…Adobe Reader 9.0 came with two installers: one bundled with Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR (AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe, 34302 KB), the other one without any bundled software (AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe, 25772 KB).

…<snip>…

P.S. what I wrote above is about the Windows version; I assume that the Mac versions are the same.

Maybe… kinda, sorta…  There are no ".exe" files in the Mac world. 

I've never downloaded or installed either Acrobat.com or Adobe AIR.  It has to have been the Acrobat Reader 9.3 update for the Mac that installed that sucker on my Mac. I had certainly never seen it before.

That, on top of the inexcusable, abominably surreptitious "Growl" installed by Adobe behind my back, strengthens my resolve not to acquire any more Adobe products, free or otherwise. 

What in blazes are the Adobe corporate folks thinking? 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the public admission regarding Adobe installing GROWL without the user's consent:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2964739#2964739

Post #2 in that thread reads [emphasis mine]:

Yes, the installer team (over the strong objections of product teams) installs Growl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Macromedia-ization™" has been the worst thing that has ever happened to Adobe.

Wherever he may be, I sincerely hope Bruce Chizen suffers from unstoppable diarrhea till the end of his days on this planet. 

bruce.jpg

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wondered how it ended up on my system ...

I hate Adobe so much it hurts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the Mac downloads, and there is only one for each 9.x version (well, a pcc and i386).  The sizes for each version are similar, so it is quite possible that the Mac versions are still bundled.  So at the end - at least for the Mac - the Wiki statement is true.

Why the policy for Mac and Windows should be different escapes me...  (At least you Mac users will not get the McAfee crap that is bundled with some of the Windows downloads!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are smaller, faster PDF readers available which are not accompanied by Adobe sideloads and other manufacturer's add-ons, and don't suffer from the non-stop vulnerabilities that the Reader does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is indeed true, but some of these ("Foxit Reader" was my personal experience) install spyware that is near impossible to remove after the reader is uninstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/01/adobe_reader_update/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines