Exit

inbox

Contributor ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to:

1. Delete the junk in my in box.

2. Stop it from filling up with junk in the first place.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Hello Martin,

to stop getting email notifications about something you don't want to get email about: Just click the gear icon at the top of the pane and select Stop future notifications. See example of your message:

drConn.JPG

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Martin,

to stop getting email notifications about something you don't want to get email about: Just click the gear icon at the top of the pane and select Stop future notifications. See example of your message:

drConn.JPG

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, do you think the OP would be able to find the answer by following your link? I didn't feel like even trying,..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to Forum Comments.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you trawl through Jive's documentation it will tell you how to manage your 'followed' items, but the simple answers are:

1. You can't delete things in your Inbox. They're not yours.
  2. You can't prevent "automatic tracking" of every contribution you make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we should thank these as improvements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

You can't delete things in your Inbox. They're not yours.

That doesn't make any sense.  If these are not mine, then it shouldn't be called 'Inbox'.

And what's the point of having a permanent display of

50+.png

on the top of my pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inbox.jpg

50+.png

on the top of my pages?

I had a "bunch" until I went to my inbox and clicked to mark everything as read, and "unread only" showing in my inbox

Now, every time I add to a message thread, I click the Follow option near the top right and select the Stop following option so new messages to that thread are not added to my inbox... I do still have to go back to my inbox and click to mark as read again when someone "likes" a reply I made, but I do keep my inbox notices cleared out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, every time I add to a message thread, I click the Follow option near the top right and select the Stop following option so new messages to that thread are not added to my inbox... I do still have to go back to my inbox and click to mark as read again when someone "likes" a reply I made, but I do keep my inbox notices cleared out

"Every time"? That's a lot of burden to place on forum users and it won't happen on my computer. I'll just get used to the 50+ indicator.

I suspect you'll be one of the few doing this more than once.

I'm struggling every day to view these changes as improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Now, every time I add to a message thread, I click the Follow option near the top right and select the Stop following option so new messages to that thread are not added to my inbox...

AHA!!! Thank you for that!

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

inbox.jpg

50+.png

on the top of my pages?

I had a "bunch" until I went to my inbox and clicked to mark everything as read, and "unread only" showing in my inbox

Whenever I login in to these forums, the first thing I normally do is to go to "my" inbox and mark everything as "read" and the number disappears completely until the inbox fills up with new ones..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

That doesn't make any sense.  If these are not mine, then it shouldn't be called 'Inbox'.

Your 'Inbox' is a collection of activity feeds, not an email folder. Think of it like a Facebook timeline - you're seeing previews of other peoples' content taken directly from the forums, so 'deleting' it has no logical meaning. You can 'hide read items' but these are not copies, they are live windows into the forum spaces you are following.

And I know automatic tracking is annoying but Jive doesn't care. People have been complaining about it since version 5, the response is get used to it. Remember that we're not using SBS the way Jive intended. On a corporate deployment even the most active users would only be involved in a couple of Engage projects or private groups (both of which we've turned off here), so they would actually want to keep abreast of them. The idea of people posting answers all across a hugely-popular public forum just doesn't figure in Jive's mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

Your 'Inbox' is a collection of activity feeds, not an email folder. Think of it like a Facebook timeline - you're seeing previews of other peoples' content taken directly from the forums, so 'deleting' it has no logical meaning. You can 'hide read items' but these are not copies, they are live windows into the forum spaces you are following.

And I know automatic tracking is annoying but Jive doesn't care. People have been complaining about it since version 5, the response is get used to it. Remember that we're not using SBS the way Jive intended. On a corporate deployment even the most active users would only be involved in a couple of Engage projects or private groups (both of which we've turned off here), so they would actually want to keep abreast of them. The idea of people posting answers all across a hugely-popular public forum just doesn't figure in Jive's mind.

Do they even have a mind

Have to admit two things I like with the new system:

1. Don't have to sign in every 10 seconds
  2. The new system actually let you use your computers built in dictionary. So that unusual or customized words can be saved and reused, Or words JIVE knew nothing about would pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On reading threads such as this make me think that perhaps the Jive software is not reaaly suitable for these forums .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an understatement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed but I'm resigned to the fact that being part of the Adobe community means we're forced to use it whether we like it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

Remember that we're not using SBS the way Jive intended.

The idea of people posting answers all across a hugely-popular public forum just doesn't figure in Jive's mind.

So why is Adobe persevering with Jive if it's not being used for its intended purpose?

Every tweak and feature request will be stonewalled by the response "Jive does not work like that". Square peg, round hole.

So, what's the point in using it if it's guaranteed to frustrate everyone?

Reminds me of using Word to run a spreadsheet or Excel to write a letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller wrote:

So why is Adobe persevering with Jive if it's not being used for its intended purpose?

The database can't be migrated to another platform, and it's too big to be thrown away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

The database can't be migrated to another platform, and it's too big to be thrown away.

Start from Scratch Like you did when you wen from the old internal system to Jive just quit cold turkey and find a system that does what it is supposed to. Just keep the record of user post  that accounts for number of Post. And such.  You did it one time it can be done again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This place has tendrils into hundreds of other sites, from Community Help to Twitter. By staying with Jive all the URIs remain the same, so an old blog linking to a thread will carry on working. The nuclear option would destroy all that. Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to be sitting here with phpBB or vBulletin too; but public corporations would never risk something that drastic. "Support" is an overhead - this site doesn't make a dime for the shareholders so provided it's not actually on fire, s'all good.

"Better the Devil you know" rules in the land of project management focus group steering committees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words when Adobe entered an agreement with Jive, it was  one of the biggest mistakes ever made on Earth. PhpBB is ten times better than jive will ever be.

in Other words we are stuck with the Craxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this site doesn't make a dime for the shareholders

I don't believe that's correct.  People are only going to stick with the software if it continues working.  This site helps make sure it continues working for a LOT of people, who might otherwise have switched to different software and stopped giving their money to Adobe.

Yes, support is an expense, but it's an expense that will cost you more in lost revenue if you don't do it.  If people stop volunteering their time here because using these forums is just painful (I'm on that edge right now)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Support" is an overhead - this site doesn't make a dime for the shareholders so provided it's not actually on fire, s'all good.

If that is genuinely Adobe's attitude towards support and the forums then it's disappointing, short sighted and misguided.

They're burning up a lot of goodwill amongst forum regulars and MVPs (aka customers) and the reputation of Adobe support generally is in decline.

That ripple effect must affect the bottom line - just not enough to ring any alarm bells yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These forum does make money for Adobe. Were it not for these Forums Adobe would have to Fold up their Tents, sell the Desks ad building, Fire the employees . And watch the investors one by one climb the World Trade center and  do a swan dive to the pavement.

No Support. No sell Products Especially products that even the cheapest cost $4-500's, wil last with out real Support. The Phone support from India Is a Big Joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines