• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it just me or are the ability to Search Forums broken?

Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried searching some simple phrases such as "uninstall", "cs2", "cs3" and I'm not getting any results.

What am I missing here?

Is it working for you folks?

I'm using Safari 5.0.5 and in Mac OSX 10.6.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Yes, the Jive 2x forum software now used is broken

An update to Jive 4x is due "soon" (September?) that is supposed to fix "everything"

In the meantime...

Google search, start with this in the search bar
site:forums.adobe.com
Then add your actual search term... such as...
site:forums.adobe.com nokia mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Search function in tyhe present version of these forums has never worked well. Hopefully it will be fixed whern we get the long awaited software upgrade. See here for some information, including how to use Google to perform searches here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/823088?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Jive 2x forum software now used is broken

An update to Jive 4x is due "soon" (September?) that is supposed to fix "everything"

In the meantime...

Google search, start with this in the search bar
site:forums.adobe.com
Then add your actual search term... such as...
site:forums.adobe.com nokia mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, gentlemen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grin... Claudio beat me to a reply by a few seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russell,

Just an addition:

Some of us have turned to Google, while waiting.

I use the Advanced search, with the following:

1) If you know the poster (who may be yourself), in the all these words part: "Firstname Lastname" and "Date of joining" (in your case Mar 9, 2004)

2) In the exact wording or phrase part: up to discussions in *forum name*

3) The search term(s)/word(s) in the most relevant part(s) surrounded by "" if relevant.

We really hope you are not broken, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda sad that Google can search the Adobe Forums better than Adobe's own web meister's can.

And, thanks, I am not broken. Just need to make room on my hard drive and wanted to ditch some ancient software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I can't understand is why can't Jive incorporate Google Search into their forums especially when they know or ought to know that its customers are not happy with the features offered by its software.  Surely, it would work out cheaper in the long term if they bite the bullet and go wholesale with Google search.  They don't have to waste time re-inventing something that is not going to work as better as Google's search engine.  Even M$ has given up competing with Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>customers are not happy with the features offered by its software

I am certainly not happy with the broken search in Jive 2x... but I will wait and see what Jive 4x offers before deciding if I am still unhappy, or if the upgrade adds a working forum search

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here; I've had to resort to Google as my forum search tool. I also wonder how much attention Adobe gives to the forums anyway. Most times I find dozens of posts with the same questions I have that have gone completely unanswered. Not so much as a "already ansewered", RTFM or anything. crickets...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers or no answers depend on many factors

Number one is that the forum space is provided by Adobe, but answers are (mostly) provided by other users... so if no user has an answer, or not enough information was provided by the posting person... there won't be an answer

Over in the Premiere forums where I mostly read/post, it is VERY common for someone to come in with very little information, and then to even "bump" their question when there is no answer right away

When this happens, the regulars play "20 questions" to try and gather enough information to provide an answer

I will also GUESS that some forums are simply more active than others

I have also READ (no personal knowledge) that some regulars quit posting when the Jive software replaced the old forum 2+ years ago... so it has taken awhile for other knowledgeable people to step in with answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T.,

I have made many of the same observations, as you. I think that much depends on the particular forum, and then on the question posed.

For an issue with a S/N, or Activation, about all that the users (and even Adobe employees in that forum) can offer is "contact Adobe Customer Support." Same for some SDK-type questions, in a non-SDK forum. Few users know the code well enough to help.

Few of the forums, that I follow, like Photoshop, Premiere, Encore, Audition, InDesign, etc., have many questions/posts, with the exception of those outlined above, or similar, that go unanswered. Now, the "answers" might involve a workaround, or perhaps a 3rd party solution, and might not be what the OP wanted, but there are almost always answers provided.

Also, some particular forums have more Adobe employees reading/responding, so the number of answers might well vary by forum.

Just some observations,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As John says, there are great differences between forums.

Many friends have stopped posting; some stopped with the fair forums  that were, others hung in for months or even a year or two; some are  still to be found in the lounge. Other friends were banned.

As I have understood, the Photoshop forum activity (at least on the Mac side) dropped immensely, as one extreme. In contrast, the combined (Win and Mac) Illustrator forum is really busy, the total amount of posting probably being at least the same as in the two original forums put together; at least among natives from the  former Win tribe most have (all but) stopped posting, but new have turned up. The GoLive forum activity has dropped quite a lot, too, but the discontinuation of GoLive has probably contributed to that.

When woolly questions are asked, some natives complain, while others (such as myself) see it as a welcome challenge.

Throughout the forums that I know very few questions have remained unanswered; at least so far, first and foremost the difference in activity has been a difference in number of questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Just to help this poor "daft Yank," can you tell me what a "woolly question" would be? I have some ideas, but they are probably very wrong.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

To do it thoroughly, the OED says (the woollier senses):

Woolly

6. transf. and fig. Lacking in definiteness or incisiveness; 'muzzy'; (of the mind etc.) confused and hazy; (of painting, etc.) lacking in clearness or definition; (of sound, ect.) dull and indistinct.

7. Comb. ... -minded (hence -mindedness) ...

And it includes an even woollier option:

Woollyish

Somewhat woolly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jacob,

Thanks for that. Now it is no longer "woolly" to me.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines