Isn't this very odd here?

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular thread is very odd:

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4939449#4939449>

A question is posted on: 21-Dec-2012 11:21

Two answers were posted on 21st July 2012.  One by Photodrawken and another by 99 Jon  {Notice the date of the answers here}

A correct answer was posted on 21st December 2012 by a staff member.  {Again notice the date of the answer here}

The odd thing is how can a question posted just today receive answers on 21st July?  {Some 5 months earlier}

This is what you get when Staff members and some MVPs (who shall remain nameless) meddle with the threads.  Complete and utter chaos!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The relevant pictures are all here:

2012-12-21_1838.png

2012-12-21_1838_001.png

2012-12-21_1839.png

2012-12-21_1839_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Brett N is going through all his past posts and editing them and fixing the old links that no longer works.  So this perhaps answers the question as to why the date has changed.  But why edit the question?  This is puzzling to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another forum, there were two replies from BrettN, where links were broken, also.

I would guess that he's fixing those, as you point out.

When a Reply is Edited, the date is changed, to reflect that of the editing.

Normally, a user cannot Edit a Reply, once someone else has replied to it, but in BrettN's case, he has full administrative privileges, so can Edit, at any time.

Just my speculation,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

In another forum, there were two replies from BrettN, where links were broken, also.

I would guess that he's fixing those, as you point out.

When a Reply is Edited, the date is changed, to reflect that of the editing.

Normally, a user cannot Edit a Reply, once someone else has replied to it, but in BrettN's case, he has full administrative privileges, so can Edit, at any time.

Just my speculation,

Hunt

Anyone know the reason for stopping the ability to edit after someone replies? Many times when I reply to something when I go back read it often I have left out a word put in an extra words or misspell a word and I can't correct after someone has replied.  I a frequent contributor in MS Answers groups and I ca edit as needed when I find mistakes. It doesn't usually change the tone of the reply. Just corrects dumb mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most forums I know have similar policies in place.  The reason for such policies were mostly to combat trolls, which fortunately we have not many here.  I think we can live with a few typos in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

There is also the desire to keep Replies related to each other. If one could Edit, after there are Replies, then the chain of context can be easily broken.

If I type "This will NOT work," and others Reply that "it WILL work," but then I Edit out "NOT," the contextual chain will have been broken.

Hunt

[Edit] This is a test of the Edit time/date, for an earlier post.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In other threads I frequent, there is a few minutes lag before the message one submitted is actually posted. In those minutes one can correct all those mistakes/errors that one only notices once the message has been posted... And afterwards, any subsequent edit of a message doesn't change the date and time of the original message, but only the "last edit" date and time, which includes the name of the person who did the edit. And in about 99.9% of the casas, any change introduced by a mod is accompanied by a most brief explanation of his/her reasons.

I know all the above is most sensible, and I am sure I have posted it here more than once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date you are seeing is the date the thread was last edited, not the date it was created. I don't recall if you have to edit the actual first message, or just change something in the thread. Even something like reporting a thread via the Abuse link can change the date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember that I have suggested more than once that edits do not alter the date of a message, that edits do show the edit date and time, and that edits made by moderators include both the screen name of the mod, and his reason for the edition. All this is normal  in other non-Adobe forums I frequent, and I have always been amazed by the incredible secrecy surrounding all the actions of the mods in here. With some laudable exceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

But why edit the question?

A more pertinent question:  Why worry about it?

More people in the world should take the time to clean things up to make them better.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite,

The thread in question is a bit strange, but at least there is a possible explanation:

The OP has started the thread on 21st July 2012 (and never posted since).

However, any change in a post (including an OP) changes the date and time of the post to the last change.

In this case the change is the Correct Answer marking, on 21st December 2012, the same day the marked reply was posted.

Strangely enough, according to the Profile page the OP has never been logged in since 21st July 2012, so maybe the Last Logged In date in the Profile is wrong, or maybe some moderator has made the marking.

There are even stranger threads, at least one where the first post is about 4 years after the OP, where no answer has been marked at all, neither as correct nor helpful, and where no post has been added on the (new/changed) day of the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines