• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Items per page

Advocate ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another little niggle - I'm set to 30 (tried others but they don't stick). But a 16 post thread goes on to 2 pages.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

<groan>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see, the number only applies to the thread list in the forum itself, so the only straightforward way to see the lot is to change to Print Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting this started Kath; I was about to start a thread on the same thing.

Seems there's no way for the thread index to display any amount other than 30 thread titles. And as for number of messages displayed in a thread...I thought  I had spied a place where we could ostensibly change that number too, but haven't seen it since that one time. Maybe Jacob is right and it's in the "Print Preview" view. Still, 15 messages is too few. If I have to wait for all that other extra junk to suck through my time while I wait for it to load, I'd prefer to set the number of messages per thread at a high number—at least 50, and maybe 100, or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking to see if the messages per page setting can be increased above 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try for 50 messages per thread page to see how that goes.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

I am going to try for 50 messages per thread page to see how that goes.

John

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

It barely takes any more time to load 50 messages than it did to load 15. And what with all the other junk that has to load, it'd be barely noticeable anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That was fast!

Of course, now it bumps the old "breadcrumbs at the bottom" requests to a higher level, IMHO

Edit: added winky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I noticed the breadcrumb issue right away.

I'm somehow responsible for that. I've had "breadcrumbs at the top and bottom of the page" in my new forum specs from day one. But somehow when it went off to the designers the lower breadcrumb got dropped off the requirements and I didn't catch it in time. I'm as frustrated as anyone with that. And am working on a way to get that added.

As for the 50 messages, we will keep an eye on performance. Some folks are telling us that it can slightly affect performance adversely because it is gathering more data per page from the database. But I'm hoping that this is offset by having to load fewer pages to get through a long discussion.

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If performance drops I may have to switch that back to a lower number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

If performance drops I may have to switch that back to a lower number.

And this speaks about the most important point that the concerned masses here have been trying to make:

That is: 5, 10, 15, 30, 50, 200, 500, how-ever-many-messages per page wouldn't be an issue if the provider (Jive + their software; and the server hosts + hardware being used) was equipped to handle that kind of load. And let's face it, there are site and forums owned by companies of the same stature as Adobe who CAN manage to provide that level of service without so much as a whimper.

What many of us just can't fathom is...if other high-visibility/heavily-trafficed sites can do it, and get stuff to run dang near flawlessly with myriad user-configurable options, why can't Adobe!?!?! Jeebus, even the way the Full Text Editor behaves is non-standard and wacky, unlike ANY other place I've ever seen. You can barely predict where a pasted item is going to appear within the message you're trying to compose, for example. Or where your cursor is going to start blinking after you hit the Return key in the middle of the text you've already typed. There's so much wrong with the way these forums operate, it's tough to list them all.

Understand that I'm not in any way making this a personal issue at all. It's just that we can't understand why Adobe the corporation wouldn't want to present a far more robust public face in this space, why they wouldn't want to take pride in providing the best User-to-User (I use the term generically) interface available online?

For a long time it was a point of pride. Now it's become a source of embarrassment. That's some bad paradigm shift juju.

Many of us are trying to han in here, holding onto hope that things will get better. What I hope for is that 6 months from now I don't feel like a complete idiot for wasting my time providing feedback and trying to maintain a beneficial level of participation under a changed environment that has a LONG way to go until it's on par with what it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality does one really need breadcrumbs at the bottom (to go to top of page) ? That is what the "HOME" key is for on ones keyboard. For forum navigation to go back a level I can see but to the top of the page; I don't see the point when the keyboard already does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The breadcrumbs have nothing to do with going to the top of the page - please look at them, they take you back or up in the hierarchy of links. Currently the Home key is the only way, other than scrolling, to GET to the breadcrumbs. That's why they need repeating at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

In reality does one really need breadcrumbs at the bottom (to go to top of page) ?

Yes. Yes we do.

When you are reading a thread, you generally wind up at the bottom of the page. While the home key may take you to the top quickly, why on earth should we have to, when the programmers could easily use 15 or so pixels to repeat the breadcrumbs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don because it's unnecessary duplication and bad design to do so. Same reason why a "Back" link is silly as the browser has a back button for that purpose. It's considered bad design to duplicate such on a web application. I can see the usefulness of bread crumbs to go to a different level though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a setting for Items Per Page in a thread/discussion. I think it is always 15 per page for a discussion. There is such a setting for a list of discussions, though, to set how many threads you see on that page. But, as you noticed, that setting is not sticky. Once you move away from the page it reverts back.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

I don't think there is a setting for Items Per Page in a thread/discussion. I think it is always 15 per page for a discussion.

That MUST be changed to allow a larger (MUCH larger) choice. See my reply above.

There is such a setting for a list of discussions, though, to set how many threads you see on that page. But, as you noticed, that setting is not sticky. Once you move away from the page it reverts back.

Not only does it not stick when you navigate to another page, it doesn't stick if you "Command + R" reload the current index page. (and I don't mean a full "Command + Shift + R"  force-EVERYTHING-to-reload)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

Not only does it not stick when you navigate to another page, it doesn't stick if you "Command + R" reload the current index page. (and I don't mean a full "Command + Shift + R"  force-EVERYTHING-to-reload)

Unfortunately, I believe that is a result of the AJAX code they currently use on those pages. As you move around with the Next button the next list of discussions is loaded up dynamically va AJAX and it replaces the current results without having your browser refresh. When you use your browser to do the navigation it reloads the page and starts out all over again. Jive has said they are working on changing this in an upcoming release, but I don't know their detailed roadmap or schedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath, Jacob, Phos...

Not sure if i've understood your problems but my settings are thread view and i think i set it to display all.... Anyway, the entire thread opens in a single page... just crosschecked with this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/293991?tstart=0

All 249 posts were on the same page...Using Firefox 3.0+.

Actually, just went back into preferences to cross-check and only found an option for 'Threaded'... or 'Flat'.... so don't know how come all messages are displaying on the page...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

Kath, Jacob, Phos...

Not sure if i've understood your problems but my settings are thread view and i think i set it to display all.... Anyway, the entire thread opens in a single page... just crosschecked with this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/293991?tstart=0

All 249 posts were on the same page...Using Firefox 3.0+.

Actually, just went back into preferences to cross-check and only found an option for 'Threaded'... or 'Flat'.... so don't know how come all messages are displaying on the page...

JJ

I just tried your link, and I got five pages in Flat view in Firefox 3.0.9.  Are you using Threaded view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup using 'Threaded' view and all 14 posts are showing... However, the posts have no numbers - unlike i think in flat view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threaded view is absolutely inacceptable.  I just tried on that link you gave with 240+ posts.  It just takes forever to load.  No way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a question of setting the posts per page somewhere....

Anyway, that kind of thing doesn't bother me... i usually open several topics in a new tab / tabs... so if one page takes a while to load, it's no hassle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining, at least, John. And I wouldn't beat yourself up about the breadcrumbs - it's not as if you specified 'NO breadcrumbs at the bottom!' or even failed to realise it was an issue. And at least you're aware of the problem and working on it.

I'm sure you're busier than a one-armed paperhanger, but it does help to get some information instead of wondering whether anyone is listening. That's what might cut down the repeated expressions of frustration over the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some folks are telling us that it can slightly affect performance adversely because it is gathering more data per page from the database.

Perhaps more information than is strictly needed is being gathered. I'd happily give up the stuff in the 'More like this' box, detailed info about posters, 'top participants'  etc. for more messages per page and more speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed to Flat view and all 15 posts showed up... so, must have set the number of posts per page somewhere else...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines