Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Japan earthquake

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

several of you have contacted me by PM to inquire about the situation in Japan, so I decided on a public reply here in the forum.

Thank you very much for your concern. We are alright, although a few  things are broken (we no longer have any dishes or glasses).

In my friend's bookstore (where I do the online project), several  thousand books fell down to the floor. It took us the rest of the day to  reshelf them.

Hundred thousands of people were stranded in Tokyo, as all trains  stopped. Food grew scarce very soon; most restaurants couldn't open  because the staff couldn't get to work. Supermarket and convenience  store shelves were empty. I have never seen empty shelves in Japan  before!

For us in Tokyo it was more fun than disaster. But for the most affected  people in the North it is of course terrible! Especially the damage  from the tsunami.

But we don't know what will happen in the near future - there were two  different earthquakes yesterday. I assumed that the second one was a  severe aftershock, but it was indeed a different quake in a different  area. Many people expect that another one will happen; more close to  Tokyo. But so far we only had aftershocks, every 10 to 15 minutes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat, so relieved to hear from you. Thanks for posting this. Earthquakes are so different as no warnings as with hurricanes, etc.

Take care,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thoughts and prayers with you and all the japanese pat.

be safe!

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your kind words.

Some images from The Japan Times: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/images/photos2011/nn20110311/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pat,

Glad to know you are in Tokyo, where there seem to have been more inconveniences than damages. Zones affected by the tsunami seem to have been the most heavily affected. And news about possible radiactive leaks in some nuclear plants are most worrying.

Our own earthquake of a year ago was very damaging, and we are still slowly progressing in the reconstruction, although we must be thankful for the surprinsingly low number of casualties, given the magnitude of the zone affected. We are still experiencing mild to severe aftershocks that are not expected to end soon. What is worse, we are also expecting a severe new earthquake in the North, where we have have had some rather strong movements in the last couple of months, and where there has been no strong quake for more than 100 years, so the energy accumulated in the moving plates must be enormous by now. Fortunately, the population density there is low.

We seem to be in the two most seismic countries in the world, but this doesn't make us to get used to earthquakes, or to be fully prepared for them when they come without warning.

Our country fully understands the feelings of the people in Japan, and all those in here who believe in a God are praying for the Japanese people. I am sure that those who don't are in some way or another offering their moral support to those who have been so severely and recently affected by such a devastating blow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very good (and very long) article about the nuclear power plant in Fukushima: http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Thank you for the update. Amidst the horror and tragedy, your words are a bright spot.

Stay safe, and the world is thinking of, and praying for, all of the people of Japan.

I had started a thread on the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, in The Lounge, so there are some thoughts shared by others there too.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel sorry for all of the tsunami victims... hope they can recover soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

confusingname wrote:

I feel sorry for all of the tsunami victims... hope they can recover soon.

Yes we all share your sentiment.  You can keep yourself up to date by using this link:

<http://jibtv.com/program/fullscreen.aspx?page=0>

It is link for Japan TV translated into English.

God bless Japanese people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless Japanese people.

A big "amen" on that.

I am so impressed with the way that the Japanese have handled this tragedy. Let's just say that many others would have sat around, demanding aid, and using this as an excuse to let their baser instincts take over - not in Japan. They have exhibited the resolve to help each other, and just get things done, regardless of the time that it takes to get aid to them - resourceful, industrious, showing great resolve and care for their fellow man. Maybe this is going to be lesson to all others, on how to face something so very horrific.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them, and I hope that the aid does come quickly.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the government has banned sales of vegetables from the affected areas, because of the radiation levels.  Now these poor people - after having gone through the earthquake, tsunami, and near reactor meltdown - cannot even sell their produce anymore.  I hope that TEPCO (the operators of these nuclear power plants) has to fully recompense them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat, It would be better for those in authority to import vegetables. Then collect the banned foods and replace those with the imports. Just banning vegetables is creating another hardship, not only for those that cannot sell them, but for the people that buy them. What they have done has harmed both the sellers and the buyers

I would hope clearer heads prevail in this and a better way can be found. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Still praying for you and all of the people. Any suggestions on the best way to help, please post. Several Agencies are helping and I hope the aid is getting thru and to those that need it most.

Take care,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The many terrible events in Japan fill us with sorrow over here, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read an article at either cNet or ZDnet.

Decissions made in the 1800's are now hampering Japan as far as Electricity is concerned.

Seems that in 1895 when Japan was just getting started the east side of Japn bought electric generators from England which is 50 Htz , and the west bought generators from GE in the US which wer 60 cycle. so the East can't supply electricity to west except through Converters and there is not enough converters. So it will be a Long time before things will get back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hop that every day Japan going better. Day to day we see better the magnitude of the disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link to a site that keeps up to date serious information about what is happening at the nuclear plant, in words that the average person should be able to understand -I hope.

http://mitnse.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines