• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JC, still Forum Admin?

Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably wading thigh-deep in all kinds of crap, but do you have time to do any adminning still? Few things could be fixed, like the link to a locked spam-report thread.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Hi Kath,

John's out of the office at the moment. I've gone in and fixed the link to the spam thread. Let me know if there is anything else that seems pressing at the moment as I'm not up to date with everything that's going on.

Thanks!

- kanguyen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kath,

John's out of the office at the moment. I've gone in and fixed the link to the spam thread. Let me know if there is anything else that seems pressing at the moment as I'm not up to date with everything that's going on.

Thanks!

- kanguyen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hope he's ok. please pass on our concern (not for the forums, for john!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best wishes from here too – I remember a while back he was under the weather. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure John will appreciate the thoughtful comments. I'm pretty sure he is OK - in fact, I think he's camping at the moment which explains why he isn't attached to a computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kanguyen. Best wishes to John if you're in touch, definitely one of the good guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever he is, I hope he's relaxing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Camping = Relaxing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must not have kids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kanguyen, thank you for letting us know that John is physically well, for which I am glad. However, I'm worried by what seems to me his overlong absence around here.

I ask because, as explained here, I didn't come to these forums for arround 30 days, and the two only changes I have noticed since I came back are the two very small ones I describe in that message:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2102630#2102630

I may be overly sensitive, but on reading your message very carefully, I somehow feel that you have not answered squarely the question of the title. Is he still camping? Will we see him again playing the active role he played in the past? Is there nothing worth reporting here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433723?tstart=0

after May 18, or is he the only one who can post in that thread?

Please forgieve me for airing my uneasiness, but I sicerely feel that losing John would probably be the hardest blow to the future of these forums. And I would be most glad to be proven wrong on all my apprehensions.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: correcting two errors (and I know there are more!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I am not comfortable discussing John's personal vacation schedule in this public forum. I know that it has been quiet here in the last few weeks due to the Adobe shutdown as well his personal vacation time, and that nothing has changed with his role. Rest assured John will jump in here once he is back from his vacation.

John is responsible for managing and communicating the status of items being worked on and is the best one to speak to updates. I know John is always very careful to only report status on items that are complete or close to it, so as not to overcommit on items where he cannot control the timing.

I'll be sure to mention to him that an update is highly desired and that his presence here has been missed.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An extremely diplomatic reply/post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to wonder if there will be anyone other than adobe employees left here soon... and maybe a few spammers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if there will be anyone other than adobe employees left here soon... and maybe a few spammers.

Grawlix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kanguyen,

Thank you for your "extremely diplomatic reply", as Jay so aptly put it. Although I would think it seems obvious that I wasn't trying to find intimate details about JC's vacation, but the date of his return to work. Something that, around here, is not in the least secret and, in the case of persons in a position such as JC's, is made public among the interested parties. But of course, different countries, different customs...

I do hope that John jumps in here soon and starts moving things. Two months without anything completed or close to be completed, when there are miriads of little things  that have been asked and would keep participants a little less restless, seem a bit too much to me. People continue leaving, more frequently all the time it seems to me, and it would be a pity to spend a couple of years mending the forums for a public that is no longer there.

Incidentally, it wasn't nice to experience a "scheduled interruption" when I was finishing the first version of this message, losing it completely, and having to login once more and write my message again -I had logged in specially for answering you, which means not many minutes before the maintainance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm for fully respecting John's privacy and personal life, an giving him all the space he needs.

There's just so much than any human being can accomplish in the face of Adobe's corporate decisions and Jive's utter incompetence.

The poor guy and his team have been working their behinds off in a brave attempt to polish this turd, but in the end the turd remains what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

I'm for fully respecting John's privacy and personal life, an giving him all the space he needs.

There's just so much than any human being can accomplish in the face of Adobe's corporate decisions and Jive's utter incompetence.

The poor guy and his team have been working their behinds off in a brave attempt to polish this turd, but in the end the turd remains what it is.

I couldn't agree more with what you say, Ramón.

I was taught as a child to respect the private lives of everyone, and I have tried all my life to observe this norm as strictly as possible. And I have a special respect for John's private life. With everything he has to do and bear in here, he surely deserves to do as he pleases when not at work. Therefore, if I have given the wrong impression of wishing to intrude in what he is doing while on vacation, I sincerely apologize, as I wouldn't even dream of doing so.

All I tried to do was to find what the title of this thread asks, and when he is expected back. Kanguyen has said that his position here hasn't changed, and she has given me no reason to doubt her word, so I rest assured until he comes back, whenever that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Incidentally, it wasn't nice to experience a "scheduled interruption" when I was finishing the first version of this message, losing it completely, and having to login once more and write my message again -I had logged in specially for answering you, which means not many minutes before the maintainance.

Five Jivebucks says that it wasn't "scheduled" at all and the forums actually blew up, or perhaps a server(s) (database?) went down.  Sometimes in crappy engineered software (which we know is the case here) they'll have a generic screen claiming "maintenance" when there's actually something broken, it's just laziness on the part of devs or they want to hide the fact that something broke from the users.

I know yall seem to think otherwise but I think the problems in this disaster go far beyond what any one mere mortal can deal with, so while I do have sympathy for the ones condemned to repair the unrepairable (or clean a pile of dirt), I'm not expecting even the return of Christ to totally fix the problems in this rubbish.  By the look of things there is going to be quite a few major (and minor) problems here for a long, long time, and anyone staying is going to have to just deal with them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

By the look of things there is are going to be quite a few major (and minor) problems here for a long, long time, and anyone staying is going to have to just deal with them all.

That is exactly what some of us are doing!

I would have thought it was obvious to even the most retarded participant that the poor devils that are adobe admin know enough of what the problems are without further harrassment from the cheap seats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Ansury wrote:

By the look of things there is are going to be quite a few major (and minor) problems here for a long, long time, and anyone staying is going to have to just deal with them all.

I would have thought it was obvious to even the most retarded participant that the poor devils that are adobe admin know enough of what the problems are without further harrassment from the cheap seats.

...and, unfortunately, that's also why so many people are leaving. In a previous message I wrote

People continue leaving, more frequently all the time it seems to me, and it would be a pity to spend a couple of years mending the forums for a public that is no longer there.

I was careful in chosing the verb "mend", and now I see I should have used the verb "patch", as I also believe JC and company are trying to repair somenthing that was born broken without repair. What is worse, I think they have known all the time. And even worse, in my opinion, it is beginning to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Thanks for correcting the typo I left from altering my wording mid sentence, that was helpful.. but how about letting people deal with the many problems here in their own way, and minding yor own **** business while everyone else lets you deal with issues in your own way?  Who would have thought, months ago, that nothing would be fixed after so long?  That wasn't obvious at all.

How can Adobe know what the problems are if people don't report them anywhere? And how are reporters supposed to know what they are or aren't aware of, especially with a CRAP search function and NO list of known forum issues that they have identified as problems that will be addressed?

You're the only retarded participant here, you're like a belligerent Forrest Gump without the dumb charm, looking to pick fights for no reason other than being a forum nanny.  If you have a problem with the MANY complaints and jokes made here (although seemingly this is only the case for the <1000 post "newbs"), don't visit.  So every time you whine about it, I'll be sure and try to complain three times as much.  Seeya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a problem with complaints and jokes – I have a problem with you Sunshine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you're a knuckle head whom is here for the nothing but the "social" aspect, (and I use that term very loosely where you're concerned) judging by the lack of the help you offer in any of the product forums.

What right have you to gripe ?! It's not like you help out, just take up space with your constant whine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess you two clowns haven't been reading the bug posts and other instances where I wasn't totally goofing around, so you don't know what you're talking about. Oh well, you're free to be ignorant if you want I guess. Have fun with that.

I can't remember the last time either of you were "helpful" here either. LOL  That's rich...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 2009-07-14 15:36:

Is there nothing worth reporting here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433723?tstart=0

after May 18

I guess that depends on your definition of "worth reporting". I have

been digging through the bug database from Jive a bit, and the way I see

it the current status of the issues is:

• Performance issues

Not in the bug dataabase. (Last weeks fixes for the virus scanner queue

were not in the bug database either, so there may be ongoing work here

that is just not tracked.)

• Multiple email posts when a user sends only one email to the forum

Has been in the bug database since before the preview of the Adobe

forums. Does not currently have a schedule for a fix.

• Updating email headers for better e-mail client grouping

Was not in the bug database. Has recently been added to the bug database

because I reported it directly to Jive. Is under consideration for the

4.x release.

• Address issues in posting code snippets via email

Was not in the bug database. Has recently been added to the bug database

because I reported it directly to Jive. Was scheduled for the July patch

release, has slipped to the August patch release.

• Fixing cookie/session time out issues that cause users to have to

Not in the bug database. The technical cause of the issue was identified

on May 15th: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1965144#1965144

• Queue issues with virus-scans of file attachments and profile

image uploads

Should be fixed now.

• Adding new file types to the allowed list for file attachments

That is a configuration change. Those are not registered in the

bugtracker so I have no idea how this is going.

• Adjusting the height of the Post Reply box and getting it to stick

Wasn't this done?

• Broken images and 404 errors when a session ID is inserted into a

forum URL by the forum software

I'm not really sure what this bug entails, I don't use the web interface

all that often. I think that is issue CS-12987 "jsessionids printed in

the middle of "Last Post" link when anonymous browsing turned on" which

was fixed in 2.5.13.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines