Known Issues in new skins

Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issues reported in the forums that are being worked on:

1. Not showing count of user messages next to their names in a thread
  2. No "in response to" or item numbers/links in messages in a thread
  3. Status levels are not displaying an image (meatballs, sausages, red bars) or status level name, just saying Community Member
  4. Your Stuff lit link causes user bar items to wrap to a second line
  5. No "show most recent post" link at the top of each thread.(It ssays Latest Reply now)
  6. No "reply to original message" Link
  7. No "go to original post" link at the bottom of the page
  8. No link to last post at the top of the page (same as #5)
  9. Avatars in replies are resampled down and look fuzzy
  10. Concerns about the display font (1 vs l, etc.). Jive's editor uses a different font than the actual message posts.
  11. No navigation links at top of page for threads with multiple pages. If you click into a message that has 2 or 3 (or 100) pages of responses there is no indication that you've been plopped down in the middle of the conversation. This is compounded because the initial message is not differentiated (See #18) and all pages in the thread look alike.
  12. New/Updated threads in a list not as discoverable (still say Updated, though)
  13. Inconsistent placement of the Reply button in different locations between question and non-question threads (Was this Helpful link in the question threads in first position, Reply in first position in non-question threads). Was this helpful slow to load, so buttons move around as you try to click on them.
  14. Advanced Editor not available when replying to posts
  15. Code in messages (via Advanced editor) is very large:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999038
  16. Replies posted by the person who created the thread are no longer highlighted in the thread.
  17. Initial message not styled different from replies. And all replies run together in the seamless gray background (related to #16)
  18. Adobe Employee status doesn't need to be bright orange. But should still be obvious.
  19. Your own posts are no longer styled different from other posts in a thread
  20. Keywords difficult to see (white on gray on gray)
  21. Too much wasted vertical white space on Discussions page (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4383393#4383393)
  22. User Names wrapping under Avatars
  23. The MORE link on the thread list on the Overview page takes you to the Disussions page which makes all the breadcrumb links point to Discussions. It isn't clear how to get back to the Overview page from there (click on the large forum name that doesn't look like a link).
  24. Trademark, Copyright, Registered Trademark symbols unreadable on main forum page
  25. Going back to the list of discussions takes you back to the latest in the list instead of taking you back where you were when you clicked to go into a discussion.
  26. Title of thread not displayed when thread grows to more than one page of messages
  27. If you reply to a message in the middle of a long multipage thread your are taken to the end of the thread instead of staying on the page you were on when replying and it is difficult to go back and pick up again where you were when you posted the reply.

PLEASE NOTE: You may need to clear your browser cache to see some of the updates/fixes as they are released in the forum.

The Forums team is planning reqular releases with new enhancements and fixes soon.  Please report additional items and check back soon for updates on release timing and status.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 245 Replies 245
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the "action bar" I mentioned earlier; I have now observed it very carefully, and it is displayed in two parts

1. ab1.png
  2. ab2.png

so there is no real danger that I hit Delete by mistake.  But trying to hit Reply, Edit, or Delete may end up as something else (nothing, helpful:Yes, or helpful:No).  This is just plain irritating.

Couldn't that bar be pushed out in one go?  Or at least put the left items first, then add subsequent items on the right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this has already been listed; the above images are completely immersed in the gray background, there is no way to see where the picture begins or ends.  I have manually added a black border to the images itself, which now look like

1. ab1.png
  2. ab2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked for the forum controls (reply Mark as, Edit, Delete (some of which only appear for moderators)) to be right aligned so they appear in the same place on Questions (which have the late appearing Was this helpful) and on non-questions so that there might be some consistency. Futur update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this in the initial list, and there are too many posts to check if this has already been reported. I am getting these ghosts images in some messages, not in all; and I have not noticed any pattern; i.e it looks like a random effect. This screenshot is from the Reader forum.

Ghost.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once we had the fair forums.

Now we have the haunted forums.

Apart from ghost images, I just saw the cursor jump to the far right side of this message box.

I had to exorsize what appeared to be  a nothingness to get back to writing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the tags, Claudio.

The other major problem with these, besides them being unreadable, is that when there are too many (and the window is too small) they push the text off to a tiny column on the right.

The answer is:  If they're not useful enough to be made readable, just leave them off.  Does anyone actually use or look at tags?  I think maybe I've seen once whether a user, who neglected to mention it otherwise, had a Mac or PC, but otherwise they are singularly unhelpful.  Like an electric dog polisher.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Noel, for giving them a name. However, regardless of their name and what they are there for, why do I see them in only a few messages? Now that I know what they are, I remember that before this last change we had a list of tags at the end of every (?) message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder whether they are invoked when someone ticks something, ghosts waiting to haunt us when woken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

why do I see them in only a few messages?

Create a new thread.  You have a field for entering tags.  Some people fill that field in and some don't.

TagsField.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Those are the tags, Claudio.

If they're not useful enough to be made readable, just leave them off.

I believe they are an important part of the Search engine.  (Or is it ask-a-question engine now?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that there are several useless hacks for IE6 users in this forum template. You could save yourself a lot of trouble by moving on and focusing on fixing quirks using only modern browser targets. Removing this old IE6 code will improve delivery for everyone.

IE6 is used by people stuck on Windows 98. The only market that still uses IE6 is in Asia, where piracy is rampant and users do not need to 'activate' Windows 98. (Activation was introduced with XP).  As Adobe provides neither products nor support for Windows 98 users, it makes no sense to be bothering with IE6 compatibility here.

IE6 usage data: http://www.ie6countdown.com/

IE7 usage is comparable to IE6. You really only need to design for IE8 and above.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201104-201204

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot remember its being mentioned:

You can no longer use Back to [relevant forum name] to return to the place/page in the forum thread list that you came for. The Adobe Forums > ... > [relevant forum name] > Discussions link takes you back to the start ogf the list.

Funny, but not funny hah hah, when you are on one of the other pages.

The only way to get back is clicking the browser Back button, in most cases twice because the first time gets you nowhere else, as reported and discussed here and elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob. I'll add it to the list, for what that's worth. Still trying to fight to get more things back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another strange one, John.

It is rather serious.

When you use Ask a Question and insert a string of text with or withou quotes, you get to a new page with a (rather short) list of threads.

It should be noted that the URL refers to the forum that you left, such as this for this forum and the search string "fair forums":

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussions

When you click one of the threads, you get there, and you can read it.

But.

When you hit the Back button (which is the only way to get back), you are brought back to the forum you started from, not to the search results.

This means that you will have to start all over again, retyping the search string.

The only way to avoid this is to click the See more Results bar, whether it turns up more results or not.

Only then you get the chance of going back to the search list and see another thread.

It also gets an URL of its own, as this:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=14&co...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I believe that is how the Jive quick search works. When I use it I always use the See More Results button so that I get a full set of search results that I can return to. If you just select from the five items in the drop down box you will lose the search because you never left the page you were starting from, that is just an overlay on the current page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

If you just select from the five items in the drop down box you will lose the search because you never left the page you were starting from, that is just an overlay on the current page.

I believe you will have to make that clear somehow: most will expect to be somewhere else they can go back to when they have clicked on something that brought them away, and if they find what they expect among the few search results they have no reason to click to see more, so they will expect to be able to look through those. I did when I tried it.

I believe that is how the Jive quick search works.

Argh. Just argh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I'm not seeing problems with the Back key, but chances are I'm not using like you are.

Can you be just a little more specific about just what to click to reproduce what you're seeing?  I tried just clicking on forum posts, then clicking links within.  The Back arrow in IE9 always seems to return me to the place I was before.  I just want to make sure I'm doing exactly what you're doing.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I'm using FF right now and see it on almost any page. If I'm reading this thread and move from the third page to the fourth and hit Back it just sits there. I have to hit Back a 2nd time for it actually go back to the third page.

I can't say that it happens 100% of the time, but enough to notice it and get annoyed by it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C,

This is definitely not directed at you, as you have probably not seen your family in several weeks, but the forums, the "new & improved forums," are flat broken. THIS is some video of the Adobe forums, though metaphorically. I could come up with many nautical metaphors too. The Titanic, The Morro Castle, and many others, come immediately to mind.

I keep trying to be patient, in hopes that things will finally get better, but they are not. The Adobe Forums are almost impossible to use now. Many contributors are just leaving, and in droves.

Adobe made a very big mistake (or many of them), and I do not know how to "right the ship."

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I am loosing faith. As BB King opined, "the thrill is gone."

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Noel, I'm using FF right now and see it on almost any page

Hm, must be the rare case where it works better on IE than FF then.

Thanks for the info.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Hm, must be the rare case where it works better on IE than FF then.

Indeed; I have just tested with IE9, and the phenomenon does not happen here.

But with Firefox 12 and Waterfox 12 it happens about 3 times out of 4.  Both when using the browser's Back button, or the keyboards Back key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

The Back button issue was brought up here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4335425#4335425

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, if you use the Discussions view of a forum (add ?view=discussions to the specific forum url) you can go to a message and then use the Back button to go back to where you were in the list, such as forums.adobe.com/forumname?view=discussions#/?page=4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

you can go to a message and then use the Back button to go back to where you were in the list,

I know, and I do that, with the usual double use of the button. Was the disabling of the other, main option of clicking Up to the current forum part of a simplification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the hour is near...

GOOD LUCK, JC and team.

GOOD LUCK, fellow users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines