Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large price differences

Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does InDesign to download cost $150 more if i am purchasing from outside the USA??????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gavin Ternent wrote:

Why does InDesign to download cost $150 more if i am purchasing from outside the USA??????

Because in business and in economics there is something called dual pricing whereby a business will have a special price for exports.

Also, I know that if you are downloading using DigitalRiver servers then they are not transferring any benefits of currency fluctuations to the consumer.  Adobe can force them but they don't.

The only alternative is to buy from Amazon because you get the benefit of currency fluctuations through your credit card company who are required to real time currency translation values.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTANNA wrote:

there is something called dual pricing

Also called 'dumping' by the U.S. when done by foreign companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, isn't dumping the other way around? (i.e., when companies flood a foreign market with product below their normal prices).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to consider the extra costs of preparing downoads for export and of collecting money from non-USA international credit cards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or try this definition:

What Does Dual Pricing Mean?

The practice of setting prices at different levels depending on the currency used to make the purchase. Dual pricing may be used to accomplish a variety of goals, such as to gain entry into a foreign market by offering unusually low prices to buyers using the foreign currency, or as a method of price discrimination.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dual-pricing.asp#ixzz1ftRZI0oI

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be  economic reasons for the dual pricing of Adobe products when the purchase involves the physical products (disks, and the manuals in the past), or if payment was made in other currencies. I can think of no sound reason for the considerable surcharges affecting downloads paid directly in US dollars -dual prices  most definitely do not mean lower prices in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems I didn't read the original post carefully enough...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines