• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lazareth threads

Valorous Hero ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a known issue with our highly touted Jive Forum software that new posts to ancient (I.E. one, two, more year old) threads send the orginal thread post out to e-mail subscribers instead of the latest post?

An example of the most recent incident of this for me was a post today to this thread [http://forums.adobe.com/thread/209449] that was started on March 6th 2009 sent me the following email of the original post, not the reply submitted today.  I find this quite confusing as I use the e-mail as a primery filter on whether I am going to come to the site to answer a question or not. (Since I do not yet trust the reply by e-mail feature) Only to find the question long discussed and that there is nothing really for me to add to it.

For several years we have succesfully used code like the following to open excel spreadsheets in the browser:

<!--- testExcelExport.cfm --->
<cfquery name="q1 ...

<CFHEADER NAME="Content-Disposition" VALUE='inline; filename="test.xls"'>
<CFCONTENT TYPE="application/msexcel">
<table>
<tr><td>hdg1</td><td>hdg2</td>
<cfoutput query="q1">
<tr><td>#col1#</td><td>#col1#</td>
</cfoutput>
</table>

Now some of our users have moved up to IE7 and have Office 2007 installed and for them the above no longer works properly. Instead of opening the file inline they now get a dialog box asking if they want to open or save the file 'test'xls' which it indicates is an Excel 97-2003 worksheet.

If they elect to save the file they can do so succesfully but when they open it they get a message that the file "is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source...". Despite the warning the file opens correctly.

If they elect to open the file they get the same message as above but now the file has the name of the cfm file which called CFContent, e.g. testExcelExport.cfm. The file can be opened however and has the correct content.

Question 1: How can I get Excel to use the excel filename rather than cfm filename.

Question 2: what do I needd to do so that Excel will not complain that the file is in a different format than specified by the file extension.

I have tried the following with no success:

saving the file using using CFFile then opening it with:
<CFCONTENT TYPE="application/vnd.ms-excel" FILE="#full file path#" deletefile="yes">

creating the table data with xml.

P.S.  Is some type of file attachement feature gone, or did I just imagine that these forums once have that feature?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attachment feature has been disabled for some time now. However, it seems that in some fora (maybe from a MOD console?), they seem to appear and disappear. Hopefully, Adobe can get things sorted out, and reinstitute that feature.

As to the e-mail notification that you mention, I cannot comment, as I do not use e-mail notifications, so have no experience with limitations, or functions there.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the email notices does from time to go haywire. the last couple of days about 5 messages each day  has been old post that haven't had had a new post in months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Just an observation here on the "Lazareth thread" issue.

I think spammers seek out really old posts to reply to. I'm not sure why. Perhaps their thought pattern is that the thread is really old, so nobody will notice if I pop my SPAM link in there. One might think that they are seeking folks to click their links, so why not post to new threads. But I think what they are hoping to achieve is a higher search ranking by having many links from Adobe to their site. And they really want those links to go unnoticed.

When that happens, the thread becomes active again. If you were subscribed, you get a message. But what often happens is that we notice the spam and clean it up by deleting the reply. So it is likely that this provides an illusion of the Jive software gone haywire and suddenly spitting out an old message. When the actual events that unfolded were that SPAM hit the thread and it was removed before you had a chance to view the thread. So you see a notification, look at the thread and see nothing new. You might then conclude that the Jive has gone haywire.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the behavior I have observed.

The threads, like the example I linked in my first post, have a new post in them.  Apparently somebody has done a search on a topic, or somehow discovered an old thread related to a question they would like to ask, and have added a comment to the thread.  But for some reason, the Jive system does not send this new message, it sends the ancient original post of the thread, at least to me.

I find that to be quite odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ian,

As I only have e-mail notification ON for PM's, I cannot help with how such threads might appear in notifications.

Sorry,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally think of "zombie threads," around Halloween, but there can be reasons that some of these are "brought back from the dead."

Not THAT long ago, I stumbled across a "fix" for an issue in Adobe Premiere, and knew that there were several older threads on that subject, plus the issues had NOT been resolved in those threads. I posted a link to the fix in each, though the OP might well be in a retirement home by now.

Not sure why a spammer would target older threads, other than they would then appear as "(Updated)" on most viewer's list.

What motivates a spammer? What is their thought process? I certainly do not know.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines