Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[locked] Job As A Junior Web Developer

Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I couldn't find a more appropriate forum on the site.

I've recently graduated from university with a Masters Degree in Web Design and Development gaining general skills in HTML/XHTML, MXML/ActionScript, PHP, CSS, MySQL,and XML through the use of both Dreamweaver and Flex.

I'm now looking for a job for any type of salary, prefereably one which utilises Flex as that was my main area of expertise/interest but it seems there are very few such jobs available in England where I live with most work being mainly java/j2ee and ASP.net, neither of which I really have any experience in.

I wanted to ask what you all think my next move should be to attempt to find a job? Branch into further coding languages to broaden my options or perhaps do freelance? I don't really have any example sites for any sort of portfolio so I'm thinking in the meantime I could create a few non working example sites to show my skills.

Also how different is programming websites in java/asp.net to the technologies that I currently have experience in? I only ask because I'm thinking about applying for such jobs and then learning as I go. Java from what I've seen seems very similar to ActionScript.

Thanks for any advice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

java is not "script" of any sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the Lounge is a better place for this post, and I feel sure that the MOD's will move it there - so do not be alarmed, if it seems to be gone.

Good luck, and Dave is a good person to comment on your goals.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jimmyoneshot wrote on 8/12/2010 6:13 PM:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I couldn't find a more appropriate forum on the site.

Perhaps that should be taken as a sign that this site is not the

appropriate place for your question at all.

As you have recently graduated the best place to go would be the

'careers office' of the educational institution you attended. They know

what they taught you and which job opportunities and further education

paths are appropriate for you. We on the other hand don't know what you

have learned, what your local job market is or what the actual value of

your degree is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines