• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[locked] Will there be a grace period for CS5?

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I don't like this question about the new Creative Suite and when it will finally be released. But I've a question about the grace periods Abobe offered the last times after their release announcements. Will there be one for CS5 too?

Best regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Forum Comments forum. This is for discussion of the actual fora.

I'd suggest posting to the appropriate suite forum.

However, I doubt that Adobe has made the final decisions on exactly how the upgrade will be rolled out, when it is. Normally, there IS a "grace period," but only the marketing department in charge of the CS5 release is likely to know the answer. Even with input from a few of the development team for Premiere in that forum, no mention has been made of a release date - yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please expound on exactly what is meant by the "grace period"? Are you referring to the duration of a trial? Or possibly a certain length of time one is able to upgrade at a reduced price/

I don't believe I've ever encountered the "grace period" phrasing before as it may relate to Adobe software products.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Can you please expound on exactly what is meant by the "grace period"? Are you referring to the duration of a trial? Or possibly a certain length of time one is able to upgrade at a reduced price/

The "grace period," that I was referring to is the purchase of, in this case, CS4, just prior to the release of CS5. Historically, with a smallish window in time, where the newer upgrade is offered free to those who qualify. IIRC, that window has been about 30 days, prior to the official release of the newer version. Many software companies do similar. That is what I was referring to, and assumed that the OP was, as well.

Now, Adobe has done "pre-sells" for some programs, so I do not know how this might affect things. Again, only the product marketing folk can definitively comment. Mine are just speculation, based on decades of using Adobe products. Still, I do not recall having ever purchased an upgrade, within the time frame to get the new one free. I usually upgrade much earlier, and just use the new program. When a newer one comes out, I study it, and then decide if I really need that.

Hope that this clears up, where I was coming from,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Hunt!

Makes total sense now. I was having a real brain freeze on that one.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

The "grace period," that I was referring to is the purchase of, in this case, CS4, just prior to the release of CS5.

Hunt / Dave, IIRC, the window also extended to purchase of the earlier version upto 30 days before the latest was announced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 30-days rather stuck in my mind, but I've never fit in the window, so my memory is from others' comments, and no personal experiences.

BTW - Dave is my brother. I am Bill... Oh, you meant THAT Dave?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

BTW - Dave is my brother. I am Bill... Oh, you meant THAT Dave?

Yup... that Dave... the one that's not a Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha! Oh, Hi Dave.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 31, 2010 Jan 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Gotcha! Oh, Hi Dave.

Is the 'Hi Dave" to that Dave or your brother Dave?   

EDIT: Most strange... the Missing In Action 'the_wine_snob' has suddenly made an appearance / reappearance??? !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2010 Jan 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last comment the update to the latest version was a practice that most of us are aware of for the commercial version. I cannot comment on the practice for academic or student versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, some days I wake up, stumble to the mirror and I am the_wine_snob. Some days, I am just plain Bill Hunt. Then, some days, Adobe sees me as WAHunt3. I pinch myself, and if it hurts, just go log-in.

Hunt

PS - That was THIS Dave, to whom I offered a "Hi!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for the forums to speed up. What good are 1 GBS speeds if the software can't perform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

I'm waiting for the forums to speed up. What good are 1 GBS speeds if the software can't perform?

Quite... On occasion, Godot comes to mind...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I was about to respond that I was not having any issue with the speed. Just thinking that jinxed me!

Almost immediately, things slowed to a crawl, and then I've had 3 forum outages, though for only about 15-30 mins. each. In all instances, Adobe.com was still up and running. I have to either refrain from thinking that things are going well, or learn to be more patient.

Now, I agree with you,

Hunt

PS - won't venture to comment that the speed seems to have come back, 'cause I learned my lesson above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can pray it won't be expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No announcement has been made. Past practice allowed for upgrades to the latest version, after it was announced, but before it was shipped. I think there may have been a modest handling fee but to be honest I don't remember. I would think you could check the Adobe website for past announcements in the PR section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what mike said. in the past you were able to order say, cs2 after cs3 was announced and BEFORE it shipped, and recieve both for just the extra shipping of the additional copy. i did this with illustrator cs2 to get cs2 and cs3. not that it really matters unless you're in a "i need the current version now" mode. because as soon as the new version arrives, you're going to want to run that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. And thanks for the answers. I'm only a student until September 2010 – and I want to buy an CS5 Edu-Version when it's released. Hopefully the announcement will be out until then.

kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

before&after wrote on 1/25/2010 4:47 PM:

I'm only a student until September 2010 – and I want to buy an CS5 Edu-Version when it's released.

I would recommend reading section 16.3 from the CS EULA before you buy.

If after that you still have questions regarding your rights to continue

to use the software after you finished your education, please try the

Licensing forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/licensing/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The Edu-License is not limited to the time you are a student. This is what the german support told me and what stands in the EULA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. But there's differences in different countries whether it's

permitted to use it commercially...

If I'm not mistaken, Adobe Europe does not allow edu licenses to be

used commercially. (Or at least there's some that are allowed, and

others that aren't -- it depends on exactly what and where you are

studying...)

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for CS6, and the economy to improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only speak for the German Adobe Support.

Yes, the licenses are not time limited after purchase.

Yes, there are two versions:

1) Student version, for non-commercial purposes and upgrade compatible

2) Edu-Version, for commercial use and upgrade compatible

kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2010 Mar 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the Student Editions, there's a good FAQ that covers things like what happens after one graduates, using educational software for commercial projects, and differences between North America and International, etc. http://bit.ly/byG0p6

Regarding the question of grace periods, everybody's wondering the same thing...  Adobe has done it in the past but you needed to contact Customer Service about it and the parameters were somewhat variable depending on the version and time of purchase, so 'your mileage could vary.'  We're trying to find out if/whether there will be a similar policy with CS5 (expected soon now http://bit.ly/9mj4sV), whereby if you buy CS4 after the announcement of CS5 (but before it ships), you would get to download CS4 immediately and then a free upgrade to CS5 later once it ships...

If so, an upgrader could possibly have the best of both worlds.  Will be following the story closely and post word on our blog once we get clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines