• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

login issue - screen name?!

Contributor ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logging into the firums is a strange experience.

When I visit the forums page and click the "login/register" link below the page title, I am brought to a page that asks me to type in my username and password. I type them both, and I am then brought to a page which states "A screen name is required to continue. Please enter a screen name."

I already typed this when I logged in, but OK. I type my screen name, and I am told that "this name already exists".

I have no idea why I would need to type it twice (and without a password the second time). Either I'm logged in or I'm not - make up your mind. It is very confusing and misleading.

I was able to log in by quitting my browser (therefore starting a new browser session at adobe.com) and logging in using my e-mail address for the name in stead of my screen name.

If the system creates confusiuon like this, then it is broken. Either require a screen name for login, or require an email address. This system of supporting both is clearly not working. Please fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

The system was cobbled together with no thought for the potential consequences.

(That's a toned down version of what I originally wrote, but I don't want to get banned!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A decision was taken some time ago to have people use an email address for a user name. This is the same one as for your account at the Adobe store, where you can find your product purchase history, registrations of software etc. Nobody wants their email address shown in the forums, so you also require a screen name. (Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm explaining, not excusing and yes, people sometimes have to change their email addresses and are then in the ermm, soup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then they should just stadnardize on screen names and remove the requirement for email addresses altogether.

It really does not have to be so confusing.

Part of the issue is also that you can *almost* log in using your screen name (you encounter the issue I had). If they do require an email for login and then require a screen name for use in the forums, then they should place all that on one page at time of login. This would not confuse the user with multiple requests for screen name/login/email.

Login page should be this:

Please provide email address used at time of registration:

Please provide password:

Please provide a screen name to use:

[login button]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's logical... This new system is not... as you will discover in due course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system was cobbled together with no thought for the potential consequences.

(That's a toned down version of what I originally wrote, but I don't want to get banned!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't get banned. Even LT isn't really banned. He just runs round giving two fingers to the hosts trying to chase him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well most of us have a life and don't want to spend all day creating new user accounts, on the other hand.

What is the estimated date of deployment for the Jiveware/Adobe login problem fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kath-H wrote:

You won't get banned. Even LT isn't really banned. He just runs round giving two fingers to the hosts trying to chase him.

One particular finger per hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines