• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee software forced install with latest Adobe flash update 12/26/14

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems that Adobe has once again chosen to go the route of not even giving an opt-out option for whatever 'software' they bundle their Adobe Flash update with. I fail to see how this practice creates anything but mistrust for these products from a consumers perspective. Having worked in  IT and having had to deal with questions like "Why is my browser changed/messed up?" or "Why did X show up on my computer and is now spamming me to buy something?" it's frustrating knowing that in many cases it's large companies that are to blame. In this case it seems even more calculated coming right after a major holiday when inevitably more PC's and more inexperienced users enter the market.

I personally will never use McAfee or Google Chrome or (heaven forbid) Ask.com related software if this is how they intend to do business. I'd like to think that large businesses like Adobe would have better marketing strategies for their sponsors that don't create dissent and distrust among consumers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Flash Player since version 6.0, and I have never gotten any unwanted software with it.  Maybe because I always update it manually on the day an update is released?

Anyway, for reasons why a reputable company would bundle 3rd-party software with their free offers, there are plenty of similar discussions in the Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe's Flash Player update workflow does present the choice of also getting some "added value" software (e.g., AV - Search Engine stuff for browsers - etc.).

One simply unticks the boxes on the step that displays the choice.

Oh yeah, ya do gotta look rather than do a fast click through which will result in a gotcha eh.

One "gotcha" back in the day was all it took for me to "STAR" these sort of updates.

No "gotchas" since.

You'll observe similar with other software package updates (e.g., Java, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines